Author Topic: Rice Salad?  (Read 1137 times)

mumma to KMC

Rice Salad?
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
Hello! We are having our parish priest over for dinner on Sunday. We are planning on grilling a London broil and maybe some corn, but I'd like to do a rice side dish. Since it will be 90 here on Sunday, I'd like to so something I can make ahead and either serve chilled or just heat up right before dinner.

So, e-hellions, do you have any tried and true rice recipes that you really like?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Rice Salad?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »
I have a really good wild rice salad recipe - it is already posted in the recipes folder somewhere but I can repost it if you are interested.

It has wild rice, apples, sour cream, mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, a little dill and I'm not sure what else.  What is really nice about it is that it can be made ahead.  In fact, it should be made ahead for better flavour.

Edited to add:  Found it!

Wild Rice Salad

2 cups cooked wild rice, drained well
2 large apples, peeled and diced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
fresh or frozen dill, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)
garnish:  almonds, walnuts or orange slices (I've also used cranberries)

Combine the rice, apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, dill, salt and pepper and refrigerate the night before serving.  8 to 10 hours before serving, combine the mayonnaise and sour cream.  Fold into the wild rice mixture and refrigerate until serving time.  Garnish just before serving.  Serves 6 to 8.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:57:19 PM by Outdoor Girl »
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:36:48 PM »
This Insalta Caprice is my favorite rice salad.  http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29695.asp

Since you are making  London Broil you can leave out the meat and cheese.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mumma to KMC

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »
They both look good! :) Thanks.

Q about capers, can they be left out or subbed? I don't have any and I'm not sure if I can get them at our local grocery :(

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
I have a really good wild rice salad recipe - it is already posted in the recipes folder somewhere but I can repost it if you are interested.

It has wild rice, apples, sour cream, mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, a little dill and I'm not sure what else.  What is really nice about it is that it can be made ahead.  In fact, it should be made ahead for better flavour.

Edited to add:  Found it!

Wild Rice Salad

2 cups cooked wild rice, drained well
2 large apples, peeled and diced
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
fresh or frozen dill, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)
garnish:  almonds, walnuts or orange slices (I've also used cranberries)

Combine the rice, apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, dill, salt and pepper and refrigerate the night before serving.  8 to 10 hours before serving, combine the mayonnaise and sour cream.  Fold into the wild rice mixture and refrigerate until serving time.  Garnish just before serving.  Serves 6 to 8.

This sounds awesome!

I make a wonderful wild rice soup with all of the above ingredients (except apple and dressing) and really miss the soup during the summer.

Thanks, Outdoor Girl, for posting this recipe. It's a must-do for my summer menu planning. ;D

Library Dragon

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:07:59 AM »

Q about capers, can they be left out or subbed? I don't have any and I'm not sure if I can get them at our local grocery :(

No problem. Feel free to play with the recipe (it's mine so I can say that). Sliced green olives are a tasty alternative. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »
This sounds awesome!

I make a wonderful wild rice soup with all of the above ingredients (except apple and dressing) and really miss the soup during the summer.

Thanks, Outdoor Girl, for posting this recipe. It's a must-do for my summer menu planning. ;D

It's a great potluck dish, too, if you have refrigeration available up to the point of serving.  My brother has this covered dish that is shaped like a duck.  He was going to a friend's place, who was vegetarian, and told them he was bringing duck salad.  She was very confused until he showed up with the salad in the duck dish.

My brother orders the rice in bulk straight from the growers.  It is cheaper than buying it at the grocery store and it is generally better quality.  About $10/pound, including shipping for us from Manitoba to Ontario.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mumma to KMC

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »

No problem. Feel free to play with the recipe (it's mine so I can say that). Sliced green olives are a tasty alternative. 

And I have a ton of those! :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
This sounds awesome!

It's a great potluck dish, too, if you have refrigeration available up to the point of serving.  My brother has this covered dish that is shaped like a duck.  He was going to a friend's place, who was vegetarian, and told them he was bringing duck salad.  She was very confused until he showed up with the salad in the duck dish.

My brother orders the rice in bulk straight from the growers.  It is cheaper than buying it at the grocery store and it is generally better quality.  About $10/pound, including shipping for us from Manitoba to Ontario.

Do you have an address? I use to order from someplace in Minnesota (I think) but have since lost the address. You're right, it is a lot cheaper and better than buying it at the grocery store.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
Oh Canada Wild Rice
Shoal Lake Wild Rice Ltd
Keewatin, Ontario

But their address is Manitoba:

Group 525, RR#5, Box 30
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R2C 2Z2

www.shoallakewildrice.com

866-989-7696

My brother orders it by the case (12 one-pound packages, I think) and gets a wholesale price.
Ontario

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 02:33:29 PM »
THANK YOU,  Outdoor Girl! ;D