General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Polite way to ask for a reply by a deadline in text message?

(1/1)

snappylt:
In a text message, is there a polite way to ask for a reply by a certain time (because after that time no reply is needed)?

I was recently driving home by an obscure back road (trying to avoid Friday afternoon rush hour in the Big City).  As I was driving along, I realized that I'd be driving past the turn off to an old friend's community in another ten minutes.  I wanted to send him a text just in case he was free and wanted to meet me on short notice for a snack and coffee at a nearby restaurant - but I was only wanting to get together if he was able to reply in the next ten or twenty minutes.  (I did not particularly want to drive all the way home and then get a reply and turn around and drive all the way back.)

I couldn't figure out a polite way to say that in a text.

(Yes, I could have made a voice call, but in this case it was a few minutes before quitting time at my friend's high school - he is a teacher - and while I thought a text message to him was OK, I thought a voice call right before the last bell was inappropriate.)

Marguette:
My suggestion "Going to be passing your town in 10 minutes, call me if you’re free to meet up. If not, I'll be heading home."

snappylt:

--- Quote from: Marguette on May 15, 2013, 10:42:02 PM ---My suggestion "Going to be passing your town in 10 minutes, call me if you’re free to meet up. If not, I'll be heading home."

--- End quote ---

Perfect!  My mind was a blank the other day, but I'll use your suggestion next time.  Thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version