Author Topic: Appropriating a picture on FB  (Read 9508 times)

whiskeytangofoxtrot

Re: Appropriating a picture on FB
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »
Just a thought- I often take photos at local dance events for the ladies in my troupe. The performances are public, so of course we don't have any control over people taking their own photos and posting them on the internet. That's a non-issue with us, although if the dancer is credited, it's certainly appreciated. IMO my photos aren't high quality, but I gladly offer the unrestricted use of the images by the dancers in them, if they wish.

However... a local business owner, not associated with these events, but who has had a business relationship with some of the dancers from time to time, has appropriated photos of dancers on more than one occasion, and has used them for promotional purposes without credit or compensation, even going as far as to reproduce them on merchandise. :o Unethical at the very least, and potentially illegal if it's not part of a contract. Most recently, it happened with some of my own photos that I posted  for the dancers in my FB album. Thankfully, it didn't appear they were being merchandised, but still- not cool. Now I include this in the album description, "... unlimited non-exclusive rights belong to the dancers to use your own images, if you like. If you see a photo you don't care for, let me know and I'll delete it. Everyone else, be respectful; no reproduction without permission of the subject, please." That seems to have put the brakes on that issue, as far as I can tell, and with that business owner, at least. We'll see.

Anyhow, I got windy, but I say that to suggest including a comment on your album stating your own feelings about photo reproduction; maybe it'd help (?).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:49:02 PM by whiskeytangofoxtrot »

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
IMO, this is not like giving somebody a birthday present. You snapped some photos and shared them on Facebook, from which they can be downloaded and shared at will across the internet. Unless you watermark them, there's no reason anyone would think you want to control how they are used/shared. In future, I suggest Flickr or some other sharing site from which they can't be downloaded.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Eeep!

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 05:03:28 PM »
I could be wrong, but I suspect this is mostly a difference in the way people use FB.  I'm betting that she saved it to her phone and then uploaded it on her page.  I have sometimes done that with pictures (most of the time the silly someecard things) because I want it to only have whatever I want to say, not whatever the person who originally posted it said, which it does if you share it.  Now if I was using an awesome artistic picture that someone I knew took, I would likely say something about it in my post. But I know I have posted a picture of, say, my adorable nephew, that my SIL took and originally posted and it didn't occur to me that I would need to credit her for that.  So she may have just been thinking of it as the latter, rather than the former.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »
I'm becoming more curious about this issue and when people expect the photographer to be credited.

Here's some examples:
1. Swim team mom Sue takes some photos of a swim event of individual swimmers and emails the photos to the parents. If a parent posts the email to their facebook account with "Jr's 1st Blue Ribbon" would you expect a 'photo taken by Sue' to also be included?

2. Swim team mom Sue takes photos of a swim meet and posts them to her facebook page. You find one of your child and copy it to your facebook wall so that it is easy access for future reference (and just in case you and Sue are no longer facebook friends after the swim season). Do you expect a 'photo taken by Sue'?

3. Your at a swim meet and have your own camera and want a photo with your child and ask Sue to take the photo because you know Sue is a great photographer. You post it to FB. Do you post it with "me and jr at swim meet...photo taken by Sue"?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:38:04 PM »
Each person is different. 

As a serious amateur photographer I don't share any photos that aren't "good". All of my photos go through post processing, so it's only one more step to stamp it with my watermark brush.  That includes photos for facebook, flickr, photobucket, contests,etc.  Every photo that I take with my camera and share has a watermark on it.  I know that not everyone feels the way I do about taking and sharing pictures.  So rather than contact each individual person who may see my pictures.  Or rather than put a long message on all of my photo albums, I just watermark the pictures before I share them online.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:12 PM »
What I'm curious about is why Other Mom didn't hit share.  Why go through copy/pasting?  It just seems unnecessary.  If I see a picture of me in a friend's album, I hit share and it says where the picture is from.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »
What I'm curious about is why Other Mom didn't hit share.  Why go through copy/pasting?  It just seems unnecessary.  If I see a picture of me in a friend's album, I hit share and it says where the picture is from.

I was wondering that too. On the few occasions I've posed a photo that someone else took, I've credited the photographer as I think it's fair that they get the acknowledgement for taking the picture, as well as any praise for the quality etc.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »

I was wondering that too. On the few occasions I've posed a photo that someone else took, I've credited the photographer as I think it's fair that they get the acknowledgement for taking the picture, as well as any praise for the quality etc.

YES!  Exactly my point.  Thank you, AngelicGamer and sammycat. Why go through the extra effort, and then intentionally not say where the pic came from, even after two people comment on the shot and you don't clarify?  I've just never run into that before, and it just seemed....off.  Lesson learned.

snowdragon

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »
I think if I take the photo - I should get credit for it.  Just like if I make the quilt, paint the portrait or cook the meal.

I simply can not understand the idea that someone should be able to take someone else's work and lead other people to believe that they created it. It's theft just as if I did anything else and you took it and presented as yours. By not crediting the creator, you are letting people thing you took the picture - and that's theft and a lie and when I have seen it done, I have dropped friends over it.

delabela

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
I think if I take the photo - I should get credit for it.  Just like if I make the quilt, paint the portrait or cook the meal.

I simply can not understand the idea that someone should be able to take someone else's work and lead other people to believe that they created it. It's theft just as if I did anything else and you took it and presented as yours. By not crediting the creator, you are letting people thing you took the picture - and that's theft and a lie and when I have seen it done, I have dropped friends over it.

To me, this is an extreme position that I would don't think people should be expected to know about unless you told them - let's say you give me a cake, and I later serve a piece of it to someone else.  If they praise it, it's likely I would say "thanks, my friend so-and-so made it" but I very well could just say "I'm glad you like it" or something like that, particularly if they don't know you.  What's the theft there?  What's the lie?  I think there's an assumption of bad motives when really there could be just a desire to use "social shorthand."

Now, if I knew someone wanted credit for something, I would certainly give it.  But I don't think having different standards for what requires credit means one is rude, much less a thief and a liar.

Eeep!

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 12:29:08 AM »

YES!  Exactly my point.  Thank you, AngelicGamer and sammycat. Why go through the extra effort, and then intentionally not say where the pic came from, even after two people comment on the shot and you don't clarify?  I've just never run into that before, and it just seemed....off.  Lesson learned.

But I don't think it's really all that much extra effort. I can totally see someone saying "oh fun picture! Ill save it to my phone." Then a bit later thinking "I should post that picture." Then they just upload it. Not that many more steps. Particularly of someone would want to save the picture anyway.
Plus, as I mentioned before, when you share I think it pulls the other persons post with it. So if you just wanted to have your own language you would want to post it yourself. (FB is always changing so I could be wrong about that. Heh.)
Now once people started complimenting the shot it would probably prompt me to give credit to the original photographer.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »
I stopped tagging people in posts when I realised that it meant Facebook shared the part with all of their friends too.  To my mind attributions to the photographer are uncommon. People have taken pictures I have posted and used them as profile pics and I never thought twice about it (until now). I was always happy they liked the shot. I have never credited the photographer of my profile pictures either.

Now if I had a photo that was an amazing shot or the friend was a professional I might mention it but i might not. I wouldn't claim any photography skill, but I don't think posting does that. To my mind posting is just " hey I like this picture)

As I post this my profile pic is a photo taken by my four year old who was using my old camera and got a nice shot of me and my home page photo is one where I asked my sister to take a specific landscape shot for me while I was busy. Neither are credited.

kckgirl

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 08:14:08 AM »
When I am tagged in a photo, it appears on my wall without me doing anything. Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE she copied and pasted it?
Maryland

snowdragon

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »
When I am tagged in a photo, it appears on my wall without me doing anything. Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE she copied and pasted it?

When I see people tagged in phot's I know whose page it came from it reads something like" George takei was tagged in gandalf's photo"

snowdragon

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »

To me, this is an extreme position that I would don't think people should be expected to know about unless you told them - let's say you give me a cake, and I later serve a piece of it to someone else.  If they praise it, it's likely I would say "thanks, my friend so-and-so made it" but I very well could just say "I'm glad you like it" or something like that, particularly if they don't know you.  What's the theft there?  What's the lie?  I think there's an assumption of bad motives when really there could be just a desire to use "social shorthand."

Now, if I knew someone wanted credit for something, I would certainly give it.  But I don't think having different standards for what requires credit means one is rude, much less a thief and a liar.

The lie and the theft are both the same in allowing someone to believe you made the cake you deny the baker rightful credit. Same with a photo...it's called intellectual property rights and even Facebook allows you to report people for not crediting property under that umbrella.