Forum Administration > Glitches, errors, problems

That word doesn't mean what you think it means

(1/6) > >>

Bethalize:
I have a real issue with people using the word "bugger". It's not polite, in fact I find it offensive. I understand that people who use it don't understand where the word comes from but as the Oxford English Dictionary says it is "In decent use only as a legal term" or otherwise used "in low language". I feel particularly strongly about this word in a similar way that I object to people saying "That's gay" to say something is bad. Culturally sanctioned homophobia is a huge problem and I would prefer not to see it here.

Thank you for understanding.

TamJamB:
I'm not sure what you are seeking here - do you want us to promise not to use this word on the board, or in real life or what?

Personally, I'm an inveterate potty mouth and have no intention of changing. And while I do use most of the standard swear words pretty regularly, I also like to mix it up with some more colorful choices occasionally. And, here in the US, 'bugger' is a colorful and unusual swear choice. 

Shoo:
I have always thought that word was only a bad swear word in England.  Since I live in America, it's simply another colorful word to describe something (or someone).  Sometimes I say, "That little bugger!" when referring to my mischievous kitty.  IMO, there's nothing indecent or offensive about it.

hobish:

--- Quote from: Bethalize on May 16, 2013, 10:25:09 AM ---I have a real issue with people using the word "bugger". It's not polite, in fact I find it offensive. I understand that people who use it don't understand where the word comes from but as the Oxford English Dictionary says it is "In decent use only as a legal term" or otherwise used "in low language". I feel particularly strongly about this word in a similar way that I object to people saying "That's gay" to say something is bad. Culturally sanctioned homophobia is a huge problem and I would prefer not to see it here.

Thank you for understanding.

--- End quote ---

That is quite the assumption!
...and yes, as an American the word does not have the same connotations, just as Shoo points out.

ladiedeathe:
 Bethalize,
And?

I understand that you are saying you don't like the use of the word. I don't think I've ever seen it on the board, and have no trouble agreeing to try to remember not to use it here. I absolutely understand the derivation of the word, and am married to a guy from England- even our grandkids in the UK know the word (and yes, know what it originally meant) and use it as a very minor swear, infrequently.

Is that what you are going for or are you asking a bigger question about how to politely request that people not use a word that is not offensive to most, but is offensive to you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version