Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth  (Read 2053 times)

mumma to KMC

Diatomaceous Earth
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:59:36 AM »
Anyone here ever used diatomaceous earth to help with bugs around the house? We've got a risidual flea problem (thanks to my inlaws last visit :-\) so my dh picked some up from the store. The type he bought is food grade, so I'm not concerned about using it around the house, but I'm just wondering the best way to use it on carpet.

If you've used it, do you have any advice for use around the house?

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: Diatomaceous Earth
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »
I use it for flea control all the time. I put it in a flour sifter and sift it lightly across the floor. I then take a broom and sweep it into the fibers of the carpet. Let it sit for a day or so and then vacuum it up. Repeat as needed. I tend to put down a heavy coating and let it get well worked into the carpet in the spring as a preventative..   

I also put it into the voids of my walls to prevent cross traffic. Simply put it into a baby nose bulb. Unscrew the wall plate from switches and outlets and puff it into the wall cavity I put about 2 tablespoons per outlet/switchplate. It is a trick I learned from our pest control company for bedbug prevention. Doesn't keep them from infesting an area but it helps prevent them from spreading elsewhere. Works great for fleas as well.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:57 PM »

That is so cool! I learn something new here every day.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
Is it safe for pets to be around?  What if they eat it or sniff it (as cats would do)?

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 12:39:52 PM »
Everything I've read leads me to believe it's fine for pets. I think the only issue with it is breathing in the fine dust (like if it was floating in the air) in large quantities, because like any other dust it would irritate your lungs.

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp
http://www.richsoil.com/flea-control.jsp

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
That is why I sweep it into the carpets. We have 5 cats and after the first time or two they just ignore it. You are not putting a lot on your carpet. Just a light dusting works fine.  We have not had any issues with the cats being injured by it nor have I heard that it was an issue.

My vet suggested it as flea control after my old lady cat (may she rest in peace) just could not get rid of them no matter what we did.  DE worked wonders for us and I have used it ever since.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
We don't have any in door pets (a barn dog and barn cat) but we have five kids, so I wanted to be sure it was safe for them and everything I read said that it is.

Wulfie, thanks for the tip on how to use it, I wasn't sure how to get it evenly spread on the carpet. I have a few bulb syringes around here as well.

As we are in the South and the bug season is starting, I'm really excited to see how well this works out for other bugs as well!

kymom3

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »
This sounds like what I need!  My lovely Lab has allergies and is getting older so she has a hard time.

But--where can it be purchased?

thank you all, I do learn new stuff here all the time.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
My dh purchased some at Tractor Supply Company as he was already there for chicken feed. I know you can buy it on line as well.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »
I can get it at a few local nurseries here. 

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »

kymom3

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »
Thank you!  There is a Tractor Supply in my town, and a Southern States, I'll check them out.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
I heard that the food grade is safe and the other grade is not (not, not).  I read about it in the link posted by dawbs in the feral cat flea thread.  Here is the link:  http://diatomaceousearth.net/category/diatomaceous-earth-fleas#.UZVOOHf1x8s
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:26:59 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
I heard that the food grade is safe and the other grade is not (not, not).  I read about it in the link posted by dawbs in the feral cat flea thread.  Here is the link:  http://diatomaceousearth.net/category/diatomaceous-earth-fleas#.UZVOOHf1x8s

The pool/filter grade diatomaceous earth is NOT safe.
Food grade diatomaceous earth is mainly comprised of amorphous silica, which makes it completely safe to use on a regular basis. It is so safe that many people are unaware that the FDA has approved its uses as a food additive, anti-caking agent, and grain storage additive. Non-food grade diatomaceous earth is made up of crystalline silica, which has been known to cause silicosis and internal damage when ingested or inhaled.
from here - http://www.diatomaceousearthfoodgrade.com/detoxing/

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »
All I know is the stuff is evil and will get in your pores and make you sparkle like Edward. We use it to pack our hazardous materials on deployments  :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-