Author Topic: Flavors of beandip  (Read 3073 times)

weschicky

Flavors of beandip
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
I have a relative who really likes to discuss The Weather (rather than using the weather as an innocent topic for an elevator ride, will actually call me just to talk about the weather forecast in my area and in my relative's area) and Politics (which I have no taste for). 

As I can do nothing about the weather and dislike discussing politics, I try to beandip, but when asking this relative "what movies have you seen lately?" I get "I don't have money to see movies!"  When I try to ask this retired relative about books lately read, "I don't have time to read!" When I ask about hobbies I get "I can't afford to do things!"

Please, EHell, save me.  What are other beandip topics I can ask about?  The only one I can think of that I haven't tried yet is to ask about my home sports team, whose news does not make it to where I live.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Flavors of beandip
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
Wow...if you hadn't said the person is retired I'd be tempted to ask if it was a guy I went to school with who could only seem to talk about golf and weather.  Sweet guy, just a dull conversationalist, though he didn't get touchy.

I have to wonder though, if he's retired, doesn't have the money to do much, why doesn't he have time to read?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

weschicky

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »
Piratelvr, you see my dilemma.  Apparently the library is not a valid resource for movies, books, classes, or other bean dip topics.

Amava

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »
Well we are wondering what he spends his time on... so ask him.

"So what did you do today?"

cwm

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
You could always transition weather into something else. "Oh, yeah, it's supposed to be great this weekend. I'm going to be out working in my garden. What are you doing to enjoy it?"

There's also TV, tourism in the area, his job, his family (if he has kids or a wife that he could talk about), or current events other than politics. Ask him what he studied in school. Unless it was politics or weather, you'll have another subject to talk about with him.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
combine them...

"So how do you think the weather will effect the election?"

MrTango

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
OP, do you have caller ID?

If were in your position, I would start letting some of this person's calls go to voicemail.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:46 PM »
Well, you could mention that the library is a good resource for movies and such.  You could wax enthusiaticly on that topic for a bit.

cwm

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
Well, you could mention that the library is a good resource for movies and such.  You could wax enthusiaticly on that topic for a bit.

Well, it could be that OP's relative just doesn't want to see movies and is using "They're too expensive" as a screen. I personally don't like watching movies, even if they're free. Since dating my boyfriend (10 months, I think) I've seen more movies than I had the past five years combined. I just don't care for them most of the time. I always tell people I don't see movies because it's too expensive because it stops most of the conversation, but it's really just because for the most part, movies don't interest me.

CakeEater

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 07:42:30 AM »
We've had elderly relatives whodo something similar, and I don't know if it counts as rude or not, but we just start launching into stories about what we've been doing.