Author Topic: Polite way to say "No, I will not publicallyhumiliate myself for your amusement"  (Read 5668 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
LOL!  Your subject title made me think of two supervisors I once had who, when we were walking back across the courtyard to our office after a meeting, wouldn't let me go inside the building until I showed them how far I could spit.  I was humiliated.

I'd play your games over having to do that again!

Just hoping you had good aim! ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Looking back, maybe I should have "accidentally" missed a bit.  But I was young, needed the job and was scared of them.

I fought it as long as I could.  I think I finally did do a half-hearted spit.  But I remember how I felt at the time - even after all these years.

BeagleMommy

How about "I'm going to bow out of participating in the games.  They're just not my thing.".

CreteGirl

How about "I'm going to bow out of participating in the games.  They're just not my thing.".

I like this a lot.  I once had a supervisor who liked to plan team sporting events for our department.  I said I would be humiliated to have to participate.  Not because the sport was humiliating, but because it brought back painful memories of being mocked in gym class for my lack of coordination.

I thought my supervisor would understand, but she did not and it did change our relationship a bit.  And I still felt like I had to participate.  I wish I had been more vague in my reason to "bow out".

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
OP, will there be consequences for you if you don't participate? Will you be marked out as "not a team player"? Passed over for plum assignments and promotions, etc? Will your boss(es) say nasty things about you?

If you don't think there'll be any consequences, then go ahead and politely decline. Eg "No thanks, this isn't really my cup of tea".

If you think there WILL be consequences, then I think you have to suck it up and play. Perhaps you can pick the least offensive game and volunteer for that?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Do you have a cane?  If so, could you bandage your knee or ankle and go, with apologies for the inability to participate.   >:D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
No, no real consequences. The games idea seems to have been called off due to nobody wanting to participate.  We all contributed to the charity drive anyway, and upon being asked en mass in our open plan office, nobody was all that enthusiastic about the hotdogs or the games.

In a possibly related note, boss has just resigned to join another division of our company. Apparently boss doesn't like the atmosphere here (where we would collectively rather get our jobs done, than stand around making fools of ourselves when we have work to do, and are the most profitable division in our company), and would rather go work for another division that is much more laid back but eyeball deep in debt because they're more positive people to work with.  Ooookay then...
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Amava

No, no real consequences. The games idea seems to have been called off due to nobody wanting to participate.  We all contributed to the charity drive anyway, and upon being asked en mass in our open plan office, nobody was all that enthusiastic about the hotdogs or the games.

In a possibly related note, boss has just resigned to join another division of our company. Apparently boss doesn't like the atmosphere here (where we would collectively rather get our jobs done, than stand around making fools of ourselves when we have work to do, and are the most profitable division in our company), and would rather go work for another division that is much more laid back but eyeball deep in debt because they're more positive people to work with.  Ooookay then...

HA!!!  Your first sentence actually made say "Ha!" out loud!
Very good update!
Except that now you don't get hotdogs. I like hotdogs. :(  ;)