Author Topic: Cat people - nail trims (how often?) UPDATE post #63  (Read 3291 times)

veronaz

Cat people - nail trims (how often?) UPDATE post #63
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »
I see there are some cat owners on here!  Lots of pretty pics.  :)

How often do you trim those claws?
Do you do it yourself or take to vet?

I just can’t do it; a friend helps me out or I get my girl’s nails trimmed at the vet.  She seems to need trimming every 6-8 wks.

But when her nails get too long, she can do some damage when I try to play or pick her up.  >:D

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 12:35:24 AM by veronaz »

SiotehCat

Re: Cat people - nail trims (how often?)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »
I am a cat groomer. I trim my own cats nails once a month. 4-6 weeks is what I recommend to my clients.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
We currently have 11 cats (resident cats, foster adults. & foster kittens). We trim as needed, where "as needed" is defined as "draws blood."

We wait until they're sleeping, then sneak up on them and clip just the pointy tips with regular nail clippers.

Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
The best way to trim them is a little bit off at a time.  Just take the tips off more often than do a long chunk off at one time.  This allows the nail to grow properly and won't let the quick get too long underneath the nail.

And, on that note, please do be careful not to nick the quick.  I accidentally cut into the quick the other day on one of my parents' cats - it was the last nail I was cutting on the 2nd cat.  So it was the final clip I was having to do.  I felt so, so bad. :(  We immediately put some stuff on it to stop the bleeding.  And she was ok.  But I wasn't.  I felt so horrible that I'd done it - even accidentally.  I apologized to her the rest of the evening and the next day.  It's harder on the human than the cat, I think.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
Once a month for an adult cat. We use regular human nail clippers.

Also, I am a big proponent of the towel wrapping method for ensuring compliance.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
Oh, and give them a treat afterwards.  If they associate it with something pleasant, they'll be easier to work with.

Snooks

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
We do as and when on ours.  One of them has associated the noise of getting the clippers out with treats and comes bounding down, unfortunately he's not awfully keen on co-operating to get his treat.

I did find an odd thing with our indoor cat, her nails were really thick.  Has anyone else found this?  Should I be worried?

Mulegirl

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
Probably she needs a scratching post.  Cats generally keep their claws sharp by shedding the outer layers when scratching.  The layers build up and cause the thickened nails.  Even though the post sharpens the nails, it makes it easier to trim because the nails are thinner.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:36:23 PM »
We have the vet do it every 4 to 6 weeks or sooner, if I see her snagging on stuff.  I can't bear the thought that she might get hooked up on something and fall off of it, unable to get herself unhooked. 
I've tried to do it, but she does not cooperate, at all, and I am very afraid that I might hurt her.  At the vets she just ignores the whole procedure as though nothing is being done to her feet. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
I clip when they draw blood   lol.  I have 4 not (and a feral momma that I will not clip her nails!) .  I sit them on my lap and give a little bit of love first then start clipping as I coo softly.  I just use toenail clippers, but until you get used to it, keep a small bowl of flour handy in case you accidentally nick one...instant styptic pencil.

magicdomino

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »
Domino the Neurotic has been getting his claws clipped when he goes to the vet for his annual check-up and shots.  I'm going to have to break down and bring him in more often.  Last time, he had a claw embedded deep into his paw.   :'(  That was back in November, and he's snagging on the bathroom rug again.  I keep telling Domino that he should take up nailbiting instead of urinating on stuff, but will he listen?  Nooooooooo.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »
Once a month front paws only.  I have three cats but only 5 paws to clip. 

Cat 1 is very docile and while she doesn't like it will sit and let me clip her nails.  She only has 1 paw.

Cat 2 has to be in a good mood and I can clip 1 claw at a time before she moves away

Cat 3 has to be pounced on and rolled up into a cat burrito. I have to be very quick.  It took about a year for her to stop hissing after the humiliation

veronaz

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
I saw "PediPaws" on TV and the commercial made it look as if cats (and dogs) just LOOOOOOOVE to get their nails trimmed.  Uh, yeah  Sure  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:58:50 PM by veronaz »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
Yeah.  That thing is a joke!

mlogica

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Also, I am a big proponent of the towel wrapping method for ensuring compliance.

When we first got our cats, the vet tech told us about that technique and called it "kitty burrito".

We adopted our cats as an adult pair (about 3 years old) from the person who originally adopted them from the Humane Society.  For whatever reason, he didn't trim their claws (or maybe did it only when they were sleeping or something), so they weren't used to it.  The female wasn't happy but was docile enough to put up with it.  The male had to be wrapped in a towel and one paw extracted at a time.  Fortunately, it wasn't that long before they both figured out that "claw clipping = treats".  Almost nine years later, claw clipping is a non-event, except that sometimes the male still swishes his tail and complains.

As for timing, about once a month, or whenever we notice the claws are getting sharp.  We have a few scratching posts and both cats use them regularly; I don't know if that makes any difference in the timing or not.