Author Topic: Cat people - nail trims (how often?) UPDATE post #63  (Read 3301 times)

nuit93

Re: Cat people - nail trims (how often?)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
Yeah.  That thing is a joke!

We bought one.  The cats prefer the regular clippers.

Bramble

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:22 PM »
I trim my cat's nails myself whenever I can feel the claw pinpricks through clothes.  I use claw clippers that have a scissor-like action.

My cat has never had an issue with it, although I did start clipping regularly when he was a young kitten, so its old hat to him by now.  He doesn't get treats, but he does get a post-clipping cuddle and belly rub.  The only issue I have is that he sometimes tries to play with the clippers while I'm trying to clip his claws.  I usually try and do it when he's in a mellow mood to avoid that.

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »
My cat won't use scratching posts.  I tried various ones, and then tried a homemade one with sandpaper.  She wants nothing to do with it.  :-\ But, she doesn't scratch on anything else, either (furniture, etc).

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
We do as and when on ours.  One of them has associated the noise of getting the clippers out with treats and comes bounding down, unfortunately he's not awfully keen on co-operating to get his treat.

I did find an odd thing with our indoor cat, her nails were really thick.  Has anyone else found this?  Should I be worried?

I second that she needs a scratching post, and that you should keep an eye on her.  I once adopted a cat, and a bit later noticed what I thought was a button caught between his toes. It turned out to be one of his claws, which had grown in a circle with the point sticking into his paw pad. Took a vet to cut it.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »
My cat won't use scratching posts.

Oh.  Well, I see your problem there.  You don't have my sofa.  Apparently, my sofa is "THE thing" to sharpen your claws on.  Just ask my Elphaba.  She will tell you that it beats anything else in getting claws perfectly sharp - and shredding said sofa.  Also uses the walls, but that's more to stretch - the claws sometimes get involved as well, but that's just a secondary thing.

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
 :D haha, guess I'm lucky.  Friend's cats ruined some of her furniture; she could not get them to stop.  My girl only scratches prior to exiting her litterbox (which is normal).

Jocelyn

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »
My kitties' favorite scratching item is a corrogated cardboard box. Apple crates, with the purple dimpled sheets to hold the apples, are a close second, as is furniture.  :(

Start with paw massages. Wait til  the cat is relaxed and enjoying a petting, and then massage his paws. This not only feels good (once the cat decides you're not up to an evil plot), it gets the cat used to having his paws handled. Then take regular human toenail clippers, and clip. At first, you may only be able to get one claw per session, but it's better for you to clip 1 claw and then release the cat on YOUR schedule, than it is for the cat to learn that he can make you stop before your goal is achieved.  Eventually, you work up to all 5 claws, and the cat knows he might as well just put up with it, because he's not leaving until you're finished. :)

I have trained adult rescues and feral kittens to accept claw-clipping via the paw massage method. Keep giving paw massages during cuddling and grooming sessions, so the cat doesn't automatically expect that a paw massage is a prelude to claw clipping.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
I don't bother to clip.  My four cats mostly stick to the scratching posts, would probably manage to pull up the carpet if they wanted to even if I did clip, and only one of them ever accidentally scratches me.

I'd rather deal with the occasional mild scratch then hassle with clipping her. She can be clipped, but it's just not worth the bother.

On the rare occasions I decide I need to, I use a set of claw clippers that's kinda like scissors, and clip a couple of claws at a time.

Amara

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
I do it whenever I feel like getting a bloodletting.   ::)

Seriously, though, only one of my three needs it but she is jumpy and I simply haven't even tried. I have to be really quick to get her into the carrier and take her to the vet's where she is as meek as pudding. If I tried it, like I said above ... bloodletting. Mine.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »
I do it whenever I feel like getting a bloodletting.   ::)

Seriously, though, only one of my three needs it but she is jumpy and I simply haven't even tried. I have to be really quick to get her into the carrier and take her to the vet's where she is as meek as pudding. If I tried it, like I said above ... bloodletting. Mine.

The kitty burrito works, but you have to be fast.  And use a very thick towel. And watch out for the back claws :)

m2kbug

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »
I hardly ever bother with my cat's nails anymore.  He doesn't scratch inappropriately and cause damage outside of the door trim, which is a non-issue for me and can be easily replaced or filled in when the time comes.  With the younger, playful kitties, I'd say 6 to 8 weeks sounds about right or whenever their claws cause injury or they climb the drapes or your pants. 

I do it myself.  I used to be a vet tech and groomer, so it's really easy and quick for me.  I wrap the cat up in a blanket like a burrito to spare us both from injury, and cats feel more secure if their heads are covered.  Cat nails are really easy compared to dog nails, especially black nails, so I get through the process pretty fast.  If I find his nails hook to the carpet, which is rare, or if I feel like some cat wrestling, that's when the nails get cut. My cat only pays attention to me when he's hungry.  He's the most antisocial cat I have ever had.  I would probably trim his nails more often if he was actually around and might poke me with his claws. 

Lynnv

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »
Harry gets trimmed about every 4 weeks and is completely mellow about the whole thing.  The one time I ever cut him to the quick, he just held up his paw and meowed until I made it stop.   He is a complete mush ball.   

Artie is about every 3 weeks as his seem to grow faster.  He isn't quite as mellow about it as Harry, but he isn't too bad. I just do one paw, give him loads of love and them move on to the next.   They both let me do all 4 in one sitting. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

veronaz

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
he just held up his paw and meowed until I made it stop.   
awwww, what a sweetie

Figgie

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
My spouse clips our cats nails about once a month.  He sits them up in his lap like a little stuffed kitty and clips them all at once.  The reason he can do this, is because every cat we have ever owned has been trained to sit like this and to have their feet and toes messed with. 

If we get them as kittens, they are held in this position and we play with their feet, pushing out their claws.  We do the same thing with the adult cats we have gotten.  It really only takes a few weeks of daily sitting and playing with their feet before they get used to it and quit fussing.  After that, we sit them up and play with their toes about once a week and clip them once a month.

Everyone is shocked at how easy it is to clip their nails.  They really do sit there like little stuffed animals and let my spouse clip away.  :)

Calistoga

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »
I don't personally trim our cats nails because they never need it. They're outdoor cats and they spend too much time climbing trees.