Author Topic: Cat people - nail trims (how often?) UPDATE post #63  (Read 3292 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: Cat people - nail trims (how often?)
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 11:15:41 PM »
I've only ever clipped one cat's claws.  Dear old Milly had trouble retracting them as she got older and sicker, so I just clipped the ones that were getting caught on things.

Apart from that, my cats really aren't scratchy with people, and I figure cat serfdom entails a certain amount of accidental scratching anyway.  Morty and Salem are happy using scratching posts, trees and cardboard boxes* to scratch on, and occasionally Salem tries the lounge suite as well. 

* I have a wardrobe-sized moving box in one of the garden sheds.  Morty loves it, it now looks like shredded confetti on one side.   ::)  It's the only reason the box hasn't yet been dumped.

Arrynne

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »
I trim the nails myself, whenever they get pointy.  Probably every 4-6 weeks.  My cats tolerate trims well.  My dogs on the other hand...It's worth the money to have someone else do it.

Pen^2

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »
I'd clip them myself when they started getting caught on things, about once a month or so. She hated it, so I'd only do one paw a day (taking perhaps 30 seconds), and continue the next few days until all the long nails were done. And I would always follow up immediately with something yummy. Tuna omlette was her favourite, as well as mine, since I'd eat most of it first and give her about a quarter. Everyone wins!

You can get it done at a vet, but unless you have to go there anyway, it's a bit of a waste to put the poor cat in a carrier and car and all of the associated distress just for something that only takes three minutes (unless your cat loves going to the vet for some reason and isn't upset by all of the associated things to get there). I asked the vet when we first got our cat, and she said that it's nicer to do it at home if you know what you're doing, and showed me how. Just keep your clippers clean and sharp, and don't clip the black line running down nail and you're good.

katycoo

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33:02 AM »
We don't.  Neither of ours cats have ever needs their claws trimmed.  They were at the vet for shots a few weeks ago and they weren't done there so ia ssume the vet agrees.

The cats do spend time outside and have a few scratching posts so I assume their day to day behaviour keeps their claws at a good length.

Pen^2

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
We don't.  Neither of ours cats have ever needs their claws trimmed.  They were at the vet for shots a few weeks ago and they weren't done there so ia ssume the vet agrees.

The cats do spend time outside and have a few scratching posts so I assume their day to day behaviour keeps their claws at a good length.

Ooh yeah--forgot about this!

Outdoor cats don't need their nails trimmed as much as those who are entirely indoors. Often not at all, since they'll scratch them on bark and stuff to keep them short. I'd only trim an outdoor cat's nails if they were getting caught on things or were obviously too long. Best to check with a vet during the next visit.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »
We currently have 11 cats (resident cats, foster adults. & foster kittens). We trim as needed, where "as needed" is defined as "draws blood."

We wait until they're sleeping, then sneak up on them and clip just the pointy tips with regular nail clippers.

I used to use regular "people" nail clippers on mine as well. Don't recall how often, but I used to grab him, kind of stuff him under my arm like a football - not hurting him, grab one paw at a time, and clip away. He'd howl like he was being tortured, but never scratched or bit, jump off my lap when I was done, shake his ruffled fur, and 3 second later, be back in my lap, purring up a storm.

Lynnv

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
he just held up his paw and meowed until I made it stop.   
awwww, what a sweetie

Yep-I got the "servant, fix this" look and commentary.  And then he wanted to go for a walk (he has his own stroller).

Spoiled?  Whatever gives you that idea.   ;D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
My method is rather haphazard...if they walk on me and I get poked, then I trim their nails.  I probably do Alexei's every two week, and Lyla maybe once a month...She is a lot better about scratching hers down on the posts.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
I don't bother. I did when I first got the cats, but then I took in a feral and since I couldn't touch her I couldn't clip her nails. Once I saw that it didn't hurt anything I didn't bother doing it with the other cats either. They do get clipped when then go to the vet though.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
awwww, what a sweetie

Yep-I got the "servant, fix this" look and commentary.  And then he wanted to go for a walk (he has his own stroller).

Can we have a picture of him in his stroller? Please?  ;)

magicdomino

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »
I do it whenever I feel like getting a bloodletting.   ::)

Seriously, though, only one of my three needs it but she is jumpy and I simply haven't even tried. I have to be really quick to get her into the carrier and take her to the vet's where she is as meek as pudding. If I tried it, like I said above ... bloodletting. Mine.

Yup, that's Domino.  If I even try to pick him up, he becomes The Whirlwind of Death.  He has bitten me through a towel.  If I spend an hour chasing Domino into exhaustion and take him to the vet, he becomes totally passive. 

Lynnv

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
awwww, what a sweetie

Can we have a picture of him in his stroller? Please?  ;)

Sure.

He loves to go for walks.  We go up to a park or the school and he gets out and wanders around.  Complains if dogs get too close (he isn't scared of them-he is aggressive and wants to beat them up).  And sucks up to all the people who come up and ask how on earth we got him to walk with us.   ;D  Outside of the dog thing, he is pretty much a good-natured mush most of the time.  And he loves people.  And snow. 

My sister says the stroller proves we are crazy cat people.  I argue that we got it at a thrift store, so that is different than buying him a brand new stroller to walk in.  She says that only proves we are cheap crazy cat people.   She might have a point.

Bob never walked with us-he would have been scared into his next incarnation.  And Artie doesn't even want to go on the screen-porch if noone is out there with him, so we aren't even trying with him.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »
Thank you, he is adorable!

veronaz

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
Oh my goodness, Lynnv, LOVE the stroller pic!! ;D

misha412

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
I do the cats once a month. I bathe the dog once a month and do his nails soon after he comes out of the bath. It only makes sense to do all the pet nails at the same time.

I am lucky with my current pair. Both are easy to do nails. The girl just sits there waiting for me to get done. The boy usually starts a bit of growling half way through, but doesn't do anything else.

Everyone gets treats throughout so it is as pleasant as possible.

I used to have a female cat, Inky, who made doing nails almost impossible. Everyone is talking about "cat burrito." With her it was "cat mummy". That means grabbing her and wrapping her up as tight as possible in a large towel. Unwrap a paw and clip as fast as possible. Meanwhile she was squirming and fighting. After one claw, unwrap and rewrap because she got enough lose to get her claws out. We had tried every other technique with her, but this is the only one that worked at all.