Author Topic: Cat people - nail trims (how often?) UPDATE post #63  (Read 3295 times)

misha412

Re: Cat people - nail trims (how often?)
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »
Love the cat stroller.

My cats go out with harnesses and leashes. Never thought about a stroller though.

crankycat

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »

I use claw covers on my Cornish Rex.  I use a similar method as Siamesecat: grab cat and tuck under my arm, holding against my body---avoiding pointy bits.  I agree that handling their feet when they are kittens helps quite a bit.

veronaz

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
Regarding the cat burrito/mummy, I’d think claws would get caught in a towel.  Wouldn’t a smoother cloth be better?  (old pillow case or tablecloth)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »
Regarding the cat burrito/mummy, I’d think claws would get caught in a towel.  Wouldn’t a smoother cloth be better?  (old pillow case or tablecloth)

No, their claws don't get caught.  A pillow case would be ripped to shreds in about :02 seconds the tablecloth might last until :10 seconds.  Big thick fluffy towels are good

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »
We also clean their eyes and tear marks when we check their nails.

tjika

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
Mine are indoor/outdoor and I clip their nails if i can hear them walking on the floor. Which is hardly ever.
One is a scaredy cat though, I rescued him when he was an adult, I have enough trouble catching him to remove any mats, no way am I going to bother with his nails unless he absolutely needs it. It will just cause him more stress.

Girlie

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 01:18:09 PM »
Our adult cats get their claws trimmed any time we notice them starting to scratch the furniture. When their nails get that long, time to trim!

We were originally using regular nail clippers, just turned sideways. But our boy has such long, thick nails, that the clippers were actually causing the claw to crack. We switched to cat claw clippers, which cost us about $6, look like little scissors, and work great.

Our cats have been having their claws trimmed since they were kittens, so they're used to it and don't move while we're doing it. We've got some stray kittens we're working on at the moment, too.

Snooks

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
We do as and when on ours.  One of them has associated the noise of getting the clippers out with treats and comes bounding down, unfortunately he's not awfully keen on co-operating to get his treat.

I did find an odd thing with our indoor cat, her nails were really thick.  Has anyone else found this?  Should I be worried?

I second that she needs a scratching post, and that you should keep an eye on her.  I once adopted a cat, and a bit later noticed what I thought was a button caught between his toes. It turned out to be one of his claws, which had grown in a circle with the point sticking into his paw pad. Took a vet to cut it.

She loves her scratching post and uses it all the time. They don't seem to cause her any discomfort and they're definitely not growing round.
[/quote]

m2kbug

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
I want a Cornish Rex!!  Someday... 

Beautiful cat!

I found a blanket or comforter better than a towel for "cat burrito." 

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
I saw "PediPaws" on TV and the commercial made it look as if cats (and dogs) just LOOOOOOOVE to get their nails trimmed.  Uh, yeah  Sure  ::) ;D

I just have regular cat nail trimmers, but my cat purrs while I'm trimming his nails.  He'll put up a teeny bit of a fight, but then will settle down and let me do it.  I trim his claws about once a month.  I play with his feet often so that he's used to me touching them.

veronaz

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »
We also clean their eyes and tear marks when we check their nails.

I do that sometimes, but I have to be really sneaky and FAST!  Same for cleaning ears. 

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
I trim kitty nails on a sort of as-needed basis.  I keep the nail clippers at my desk and trim whichever cat happens to be napping in my lap. (I have a good medium-sized set of animal nail clippers from my days as a groomer.  They are they scissor-type and work interchangeably on dogs and cats.  Both cats are very amenable to nail clipping though I think it's just their natural personalities as both are very laid-back and tolerant. 

I know from my days as a groomer that this is Not Normal for Kittehs. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
Once a month for Sammy. We do it the same day we put the flea stuff on his neck. Yeah, he gets treats after that...poor baby! I don't use nail clippers as the nails tend to split when I use them. I got nail scissors from PetSmart and use those instead. They seem to work pretty well.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

veronaz

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »
Sammy is beautiful!  Is he an outdoor cat?

Lynnv

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »
Love the cat stroller.

My cats go out with harnesses and leashes. Never thought about a stroller though.

We tried harness and leash, and it didn't really work.  So he rides up to the park or up to the playground at the elementary school (weekends) and then gets out and slinks around in the grass for a while (on leash, of course).  He likes the little kids who come play with him when we go walking.  And there is often all manner of "our cat would NEVER do that" and little kid squealing about the "big baby kitty."   :D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein