Author Topic: Cat people - nail trims (how often?) UPDATE post #63  (Read 3856 times)

StarFaerie

Re: Cat people - nail trims (how often?)
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36:05 AM »
I clip Linus' whenever he starts to get stabby just walking on me, say once every 6 weeks.

He's a beautifully natured cat though.  He's only been having his claws trimmed for the last 2 years or so, even though he was already an adult cat when I met him (BFs cat), but unusually for a cat that was never trimmed as a kitten, he loves having it done. As soon as I grab the clippers he comes running, purring as loud as he can, because it means he gets pats and attention and then some treats. The only issue is stopping him rubbing his face on the clippers long enough to clip.

He was exactly the same when he got a big cut and BF had to clean it with saline. He purred loudly and tried to rub his face on the cloth and BFs face and hand and on the bowl. He was just so ecstatic to be being paid attention to.

You'd think he was starved of attention but he really isn't, he just can't possibly be loved enough, though only on his own terms and by his people. He's such a biddable and loving cat that we taught him to sit on command within a week of starting training.

crankycat

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
I want a Cornish Rex!!  Someday... 

Beautiful cat!

I found a blanket or comforter better than a towel for "cat burrito."

Thanks!  Her name is Vanora and she is 6.5 pounds of personality.

JeseC

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2013, 03:07:07 AM »
About once a month, here.

It's the funniest thing, though.  Pouncy isn't happy about it, but when he's tired he's too lazy to actually do anything about it.  So he just sits there producing pitiful mews and occasionally making a half-hearted attempt to pull a paw back.  I think he just has to make sure we know he objects.

veronaz

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2013, 12:33:41 AM »
I tried the "kitty burrito" and I was able to trim 3 nails.  I couldn't believe how calm my girl was, at least for a couple minutes!

Progress!  :)

EMuir

Re: Cat people - nail trims (how often?) UPDATE post #63
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2013, 01:25:48 AM »
Yay for progress!

We trim front nails every two weeks, rear ones every month.  They know treats come afterward, so it's not a big deal for them.