General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Redundant forwards from parents

<< < (3/3)

JoW:

--- Quote from: checkitnice on May 31, 2013, 07:15:27 PM ---.......ask me if I got something, and I just say "nope"........ 
--- End quote ---
I tried that with mom.  It backfired.  When she learned I hadn't seen her latest trash she would send it again.  I now tell her "I saw it and deleted it.".  I don't tell her that I didn't read it.

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: JoW on June 01, 2013, 08:01:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: checkitnice on May 31, 2013, 07:15:27 PM ---.......ask me if I got something, and I just say "nope"........ 
--- End quote ---
I tried that with mom.  It backfired.  When she learned I hadn't seen her latest trash she would send it again.  I now tell her "I saw it and deleted it.".  I don't tell her that I didn't read it.

--- End quote ---
Yes but if you filter it, then even if she sends it again, it'll go into the trash.

JacklynHyde:
I think my brother has already set his spam folder to catch the FW stuff from my mother.  My father, on the other hand, deletes that from his forwards, so my brother tends to delete his stuff completely unless I let him know my grandfather or mother is sick.  That's when he takes our father off spam filter.

wyliefool:
You can try refining the spam filter. Several years ago I had to write a lengthy set of outlook rules at work. They went something like this

Emails from [certain addys]
  or subject matter contains [fwd, singles, mortgage, christian, obama, c!alis, ...]
  unless [from certain people not spammers]
  send to trash

YOu could add something like
  unless body contains [grandpa, grandma, aunt gertie, birthday]

That way, you filter out emails from the parents that don't contain any keywords that might indicate they're not spam. Should work better. Any emails that you still miss, oh well. It's 2013, time for the email fwdfwdfwd craze to die.

Requires a bit of up-front work, but is worth it for the reduction in annoyance.

(Apparently our IT dept has gotten much better as I haven't had to update these rules in a long time )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version