News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• November 30, 2015, 07:51:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to say "I'm hourly" in a polite way.  (Read 9868 times)

Re: How to say "I'm hourly" in a polite way.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
I think you did fine; but I agree with others that it will probably continue to happen.  I think it's time to sit down with your supervisor and inquire as to how he/she wishes you to handle it in the future.  It may well be that the supervisor will want to do so on her own and leave you out of it. 

Re: How to say "I'm hourly" in a polite way.
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
I have complained for a long time that my work email is only available from my physical work computer--but I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is probably for the best.  If I got an email on a Saturday I might not be able to stop myself from answering it, then they would answer, then I would answer, and half my Saturday is gone.  Instead when I read an email Monday morning that was sent Friday after 5pm, I know that I could not possibly have answered it any earlier, and I don't feel bad about it and can relax on the weekends.  I just answer first thing Monday morning and don't even mention the delay in my email.  The only time I mention it is if someone's weekend email literally says "can you send me such and such by 9pm tonight?"  I feel that email still needs a response even though I obviously can't go back in time.  So that's the only time I acknowledge the lack of immediate response in my return email.  I just explain that I don't have access to email at home.  I've never had someone question it further.

I agree about hourly vs. salary not necessarily being the issue here.  Even people who are salaried have time when they are home and not working.  Salary doesn't mean on-call all the time.  Although Dh is salaried and has many responsibilities and sometimes has to work weekends when there is work that must be done; that still doesn't translate into the clients setting his work hours and deciding that he will be working on a particular evening or weekend.  For an important client will he answer the phone on the weekend?  Yes, if the voicemail indicates that it is actually urgent and can't wait until a regular workday.  If it is something that can be done the next day?  No.  He is not going to be held hostage by a non emergent situation.  If you don't apologize, it tends to send the message that you don't have anything to apologize for.  I think Dh gets away with not returning those non urgent calls until Monday because he never says "oh sorry I didn't call back Saturday at 10pm".  He just calls back Monday and immediately gets to business.