Author Topic: Reaching out on Linked In  (Read 1599 times)

RubyCat

Reaching out on Linked In
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
A few years ago, while I was still in school, I spent a semester at a particular organization for one of my nursing clinicals.  I really liked the type of work they did and the corporate culture but didn't bother applying there after graduation because I would not have been qualified, as they require at least 2 years experience.  I now have 3 years.

Recently, I noticed that they have a job posted that I think I would be qualified for and intend to apply.  I found "Mary," my old clinical instructor's name on Linked In and she is still with Organization.  I'm thinking about reaching out to her.  I am admittedly bad about keeping up contacts.  I'm quiet by nature and though I have the best of intentions to stay in touch, I rarely do.  I'm guessing it would not be out of line to contact "Mary" to ask about the position.  After all, if you mind people contacting you, you don't post your name on Linked In. Am I right?

I was thinking about writing something like: Hi Mary, this is Cat. You were my clinical instructor <insert date>.  I really enjoyed the time I spent at Organization and when I last checked the website, saw there was a position posted that I'm very interested in.  I've been working at X, Y, and Z the past few years and I think that experience would make me a good fit for Organization.  Is there anything you can tell me about Position?

Is there a better way to word this?  Is there something different I should be asking?  I find email difficult sometimes because you're just throwing it all out there and I feel the need for it to all be perfect.  I don't want to be rude and pushy but I also don't want to be too timid and am never sure how to find that balance.  If it were a face to face meeting, there would be cues to follow as the conversation progressed, but that's not possible in this context.  So, lacking that, I'm turning to you all for some honest feedback- do I sound okay? 

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
Re: Reaching out on Linked In
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
If I were in Mary's position, I'd be very happy to see an email like that.  Believe it or not, it's just as hard for a hiring manager to find a good candidate as it is for a candidate to find a good job. Being approached by someone who you already know in some capacity is always an advantage.  There's nothing improper about it.

Go for it and good luck!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:02:27 PM »
I think it is a very appropriate note.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »
I think its appropriate as well. You aren't coming out and asking for the job, but about the job, saying you saw it, are interested, and by reaching out to her, are asking more about it.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:02:24 AM »
I think what you wrote was good. My 2 cents is that I'd throw in a "I hope you're doing well" or a "I hope you've been doing well since I last saw you" just to add a personal touch. Either way, you're obviously interested in the position and not just writing to inquire about her health. But I, personally, always like to add a "I hope you're doing well" whenever I write to someone I haven't heard from recently, even if it's a business email because then I don't come across as harshly as perhaps something like "You have something I need. I don't care about you. Give it to me."

I think your email is well worded and doesn't seem self-absorbed, but I think it's generally good to throw in a "And I care about your too" sentence.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:07:10 AM »
Seems to me that this is exactly the purpose of LinkedIn :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:32:59 AM »
Seems to me that this is exactly the purpose of LinkedIn :)
exactly.

your note is fine. when you reach out like that, it makes you look proactive which is [usually] a positive trait in an employee.

good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
I might add that I plan to apply via HR or the normal route as well.

RubyCat

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »
I wanted to thank you all for your input.  It was very useful to me. And reassuring that I wasn't overstepping.

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I've been a working crazy hours and then feeling a bit under the weather, so I kept putting off trying to contact "Mary."  I attempted to contact her through Linked In earlier this evening, but was having some difficulty.  Instead, I'll probably just go ahead and apply for the job, mentioning Mary in my cover letter and keep my fingers crossed.