Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Rules of Guest Etiquette at Wedding/Baby Showers

(1/6) > >>

baritone108:
I attended a baby shower over the weekend and while the hostess committed only one etiquette error the guests were something else.  I thought it might be interesting to compile a list of 'rules' to address this situation.  Add on as you see fit.

1.  If your children are 'helping' with the gift opening, supervise them.  Tell them to sit down in an out of the way spot (not immediately in front of the HC/PTB), hand the gifts one at a time, don't fight over which gift goes next or who gets to hand it over & don't mix up the cards & gifts.

2.  When the HC/PTB are opening gifts, keep your conversation (if you must have one) to a whisper.  Don't talk so loud you make it impossible for the other guests to hear anything the HC/PTB says and then keep calling out, "Who gave you that one?"

3.  Don't stand and start walking around the room to take photos of the other guests, HC/PTB during the gift opening, blocking the view of the guests.  Everyone likes to see their own gift get opened and acknowledged.

bah12:
RE #1:  Guests children were helping with opening the presents?  Really?  It seems odd to bring a child to a baby shower much less have them help open gifts that are intended neither for the child nor the parent of the child/future sibling of the child.  Or do you mean that children are helping handing out the presents.  Even if that case, I find it strange to bring a child and have them participate.   This would be a good reason why the showers I have been invited to were child-free.

Surianne:
#2 I'm not sure about, I think if people start talking it's usually a sign that the gift-opening part of the event has gone on far too long.  I don't really have any desire to sit and watch someone open gifts for 30 minutes; the socializing part is much more enjoyable and usually the focus of showers I attend. 

bah12:

--- Quote from: Surianne on May 22, 2013, 07:00:18 PM ---#2 I'm not sure about, I think if people start talking it's usually a sign that the gift-opening part of the event has gone on far too long.  I don't really have any desire to sit and watch someone open gifts for 30 minutes; the socializing part is much more enjoyable and usually the focus of showers I attend.

--- End quote ---

This is why I rarely attend showers.  It's painful.  What's more painful for me is having everyone watch me open gifts.  I didn't have a wedding shower for this reason and reluctantly consented to a baby shower after my friends insisted.  I hated the gift opening part, even though I was grateful for the kindness of others...I wished this didn't have to be done in public. 

doodlemor:
4.  When a gift is opened, no matter what it is, the guests should make appreciative noises along the lines of the famous scene in the Harry and Sally movie.

Please excuse my facetious thoughts here, it's been a long day.

A few years back I went to a number of showers with a group of women who consistently went overboard in their praise/admiration for every single gift.  I'm sure that the intention was to be kind, but I invariably thought of the movie scene and had to stifle my giggles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version