Author Topic: No candy for my kid instead give him "this"  (Read 7916 times)

Visiting Crazy Town

No candy for my kid instead give him "this"
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
 I came across this article and for the most part I thought it was funny but # 10 makes me wonder if the father of  the little boy was rude to send out the letter and request that  his son get the toy for Halloween .  I don;t actually think he's rude I thought it was kind of sweet but I would be interested in hearing other's opinions. 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/people-who-are-really-nailing-this-parenting-thing

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
Re: No candy for my kid instead give him "this"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
I don't think it's rude, but he might be better off going door to door in person. If for no other reason than to give them a face to remember.

I hope several of their neighbors were willing to help out. It sounds like the dad is really trying to keep things as "normal" for Fletcher as possible.
Utah

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
Not sure. It kind of assumes people will be home and participating, doesn't it? I am also thinking there is a likelihood of more than one kid dressed as an angry bird so you would still have to ask for names. Then a kid  getting candy might see the toy and reqiest one...

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
I think overall the idea is okay. I do think it was asking too much for them to call him so he could retrieve the toy if they arenít going to be handing out candy. I agree with Moray that door-to-door might have been better, with the bonus of him being able to check if they are participating.

I guess itís a nice idea with too many logistical issues that could turn it bad very quickly.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »
I think this is incredibly sweet.  Fletcher's dad isn't asking anyone to go out and buy special treats for Fletcher - he's providing them himself.  Fletcher gets to enjoy himself with his friends, but doesn't feel "singled out" as "the kid who can't get candy".  This is a good daddy.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »
Not sure. It kind of assumes people will be home and participating, doesn't it? I am also thinking there is a likelihood of more than one kid dressed as an angry bird so you would still have to ask for names. Then a kid  getting candy might see the toy and reqiest one...

It does state that if you aren't going to be participating to call and that he will introduce himself.

I think it is kinda sweet and would definitely go along with it. About other kids seeing it... didn't think of that

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »
But that is also participation in a way. I think he is a loving dad but if somebody else has their own stuff going on or their own feelings about the holiday the shouldn't feel obligated to call him, kwim?

m2kbug

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »
I think it's really sweet and the parents provided the toy and didn't ask that neighbors go do anything special, spend extra money, or whatnot.

I guess it would be a chance one would have to take.  I don't know how the trick-or-treat works in your neighborhood.  We have a TON of kids and lots of trick-or-treaters.  Granted, there are people who are not home or do not participate, but for me, the hit and miss would be workable and probably successful.  I would probably be able to talk face-to-face with a lot of the parents on the street.  My elementary school is walking distance, so there's a fair amount of parental interaction.  I could see this being successful in my area, but yes, there are logistical issues.   :) 

I don't see the toy vs candy being an issue.  Nobody really sees what ends up in the bag and I think they would prefer the candy.  One year we had a lady handing out full sized candy bars.  The thrill!!

thedudeabides

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
I would gladly help out with a request like that, but I love Halloween and trick-or-treating. I do think delivering them in person would be nice so people can just decline then, but maybe he didn't want them to feel pressured to give an immediate answer? I know my girlfriend would feel more like she could say no easier if she could think on it for a while instead of feeling the need to give an answer right then.

And I have to say I love the baby/dad Halloween costume on the list.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
I would gladly help out with a request like that, but I love Halloween and trick-or-treating. I do think delivering them in person would be nice so people can just decline then, but maybe he didn't want them to feel pressured to give an immediate answer? I know my girlfriend would feel more like she could say no easier if she could think on it for a while instead of feeling the need to give an answer right then.

And I have to say I love the baby/dad Halloween costume on the list.

I completely agree with the sentiment. We don't really do Halloween much here, but if we did, I'd be more than happy to help this man and his son to have a great experience on the day.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
I think it's wonderful.  And I'd be more than happy to help out if I were one of the neighbors.

And some of those had me, literally, laughing out loud! :D

mime

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
If I got one of those notes, I'd think the dad was doing what he could, in a way that requires very little of me to help his son have a 'normal' experience. I'd be happy to help.

It is much harder when, on-the-spot, I've been asked for non-candy for a child (I've scrambled to pull out a novelty pencil or eraser from my son's stash), or for something gluten-free. I like that the dad is preparing his neighbors to help him out at no cost and hardly any inconvenience to them.

CakeBeret

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »
If I got one of those notes, I'd think the dad was doing what he could, in a way that requires very little of me to help his son have a 'normal' experience. I'd be happy to help.

It is much harder when, on-the-spot, I've been asked for non-candy for a child (I've scrambled to pull out a novelty pencil or eraser from my son's stash), or for something gluten-free. I like that the dad is preparing his neighbors to help him out at no cost and hardly any inconvenience to them.

This. I think he sounds like an awesome dad, and he made an effort to be as non-obtrusive as possible. I enjoy handing out candy on halloween and would have no problem helping this dad out.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

SPuck

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 02:38:38 PM »
It's not like he is expecting people to go out and but toys either. In the letter it says he attached them so I don't see anything over the top wrong with this situation.

Calistoga

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »
I don't think it was rude. He was doing everything he could to make this the least bit of a hassle possible. When I first read the thread I thought he was asking people to provide their own toys- THAT would have been rude.