News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 04, 2016, 08:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!  (Read 2533 times)

renfield1969

Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
I am performing in an upcoming play, and my character has a line which goes "I'd like a pair of black lace-up boots from Armani's fall collection." I made up that line off the top of my head based on my limited knowledge of the world of fashion. My character is supposed to be an absolute fashion maven. Does anyone have any suggestions for a ridiculously over-the-top pair of couture shoes I can use for that line instead?

fountainsoflettuce

Re: Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Alexander McQueen
John Galliano (I'm not sure what he's up to these days)
Givenchy
Balmain

Waterlight

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
How about a pair of Prada flower oxfords?  (Had a quick look at Nordstrom online and these were selling for $1350--yes, one thousand three hundred fifty dollars--a pair.)  Men's shoes with flowers on them is pretty OTT, IMHO!
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

amyg

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Alexander McQueen
John Galliano (I'm not sure what he's up to these days)
Givenchy
Balmain

John Galliano was found guilty of making anti-Semitic remarks (a crime in France). He was supposed to come and teach a seminar at Parsons, but there was so much protest over it, the invitation was withdrawn. So no, I would definitely not use Galliano as your reference.

TootsNYC

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
On Zappos.com, the most expensive oxfords are from:

Pierre Balmain
Vivienne Westwood
A. Testoni
Viktor & Rolf
Marc Jacobs (who might be just mainstream enough that your audience will recognize him as a fancy designer)
Ralph Lauren
Alexander McQueen
Santoni

Actually--here you go: Salvatore Ferragamo
Use "Ferragamo"

There was a V.I. Warshawski book (I *think* it was Hard Time) in which V.I. figures out a murder because the plastic logo on the guy's hoes broke off when he was kicking someone--they were really expensive shoes. I remember being p.o.'d as Paretsky because I had a hard time believing that this high-end shoemaker didn't use metal.

I think they were Ferragamos and it was an "F."

renfield1969

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
Those are good suggestions. Would it be proper to say "boot-length Ferragamo oxfords from the spring Paris collection"? I'd like to be as descriptive as possible to make it sound like he really knows fashion, and I want to be as extreme as possible for comedic purposes.

TootsNYC

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »
Don't say "oxfords" & boots together--sorry to mislead you.

Lace-up boots would be weird for a man. Is this character wild & crazy, i.e., deliberately attention-gettin, in terms of his fashion choices, or simply fashion *conscious*?

Because lace-up boots would be and "out-there" fashion choice for a guy in terms of dressier boots.

In fact, if you're going men's lace-up boots (and that's a fashion consciousness), then you probably need Alexander McQueen, who is sometimes over over the top.

I've known some male clothes hounds, and I don't think they're quite as detailed in their terminology.

I'd skip boots in general, bcs they'll summon up some weird imagery in your audience, and maybe go with loafers, oxfords, or something else.

veronaz

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
I was gonna say Ferragamo, but someone beat me to it.

Bijou

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »
If it were very apparent that I were a fashion maven in the play, I would probably go in a totally different direction and give the name of the most affordable, common shoe I could think of. 

Not that this store meets that description, but my silly uncle once told me that he got his shoes from "Jeh-say Peh-nay" (JC Penney like Maurice Chevalier would have said it)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:59:08 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Thipu1

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
I am performing in an upcoming play, and my character has a line which goes "I'd like a pair of black lace-up boots from Armani's fall collection." I made up that line off the top of my head based on my limited knowledge of the world of fashion. My character is supposed to be an absolute fashion maven. Does anyone have any suggestions for a ridiculously over-the-top pair of couture shoes I can use for that line instead?

I have no ideas for the line but there is a schtick you might find useful and funny.  Talk about whatever brand of shoes you want.  Then, flop down into a chair and show that the soles of the shoes you're wearing are painted brilliant red.  That would almost certainly get a laugh from fashionistas. 

renfield1969

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
To put things in perspective, the character I am portraying is Loki, and this will be a parody of the Avengers movie. I'll be wearing a gold helmet and green cape, so an unusual shoe choice would be appropriate, and the more unusual the better. I think I have a few good options here, but I do want to avoid things that are obviously wrong, like "knee-length oxfords".

I have no ideas for the line but there is a schtick you might find useful and funny.  Talk about whatever brand of shoes you want.  Then, flop down into a chair and show that the soles of the shoes you're wearing are painted brilliant red.  That would almost certainly get a laugh from fashionistas.

That sounds like a great gag, but this harks back to my limited fashion knowledge. Why would the fashionistas laugh at a painted sole?

staceym

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
To put things in perspective, the character I am portraying is Loki, and this will be a parody of the Avengers movie. I'll be wearing a gold helmet and green cape, so an unusual shoe choice would be appropriate, and the more unusual the better. I think I have a few good options here, but I do want to avoid things that are obviously wrong, like "knee-length oxfords".

That sounds like a great gag, but this harks back to my limited fashion knowledge. Why would the fashionistas laugh at a painted sole?

Christian Louboutin
 - famous shoe maker, VERY expensive and all his shoes have a trademarked red sole

TootsNYC

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
And in fact, Louboutin will go to court to protect that trademark.

scotcat60

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
And in fact, Louboutin will go to court to protect that trademark.

Presumably to stop those ladies in the UK who have been buying matchpots of paint in B&Q and painting the soles of their shoes red.