Author Topic: Please enjoy this slideshow of the event that you weren't invited to  (Read 4302 times)

bonyk

No question; just a story...

Recently, my school won  a big, huge deal award. A group a faculty members and administration decided to go out to celebrate.  They did not invite everyone.  At the most recent faculty conference, we (the entire faculty) were treated to a slideshow of photographs that the group took during their celebration.

It was the first most people were hearing of the event, and they were none to impressed.

Jocelyn

'Wow, that's just like vacation slides.'

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
At least with vacation slides, there is no expectation someone will invite you along with them...this, this is just wrong!  If they wanted an exclusive event, they should have kept it to themselves because all they did was cause dissension.

Library Dragon

Oh, wow! That's just rude and mean.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Iris

Really? What? Wow. Also: have these people ever MET teachers? That thing's going to haunt them for YEARS.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Lynda_34

I just want to know how the sickos become the "in crowd". While the worker bees get dissed.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
No question; just a story...

Recently, my school won  a big, huge deal award. A group a faculty members and administration decided to go out to celebrate.  They did not invite everyone.  At the most recent faculty conference, we (the entire faculty) were treated to a slideshow of photographs that the group took during their celebration.

It was the first most people were hearing of the event, and they were none to impressed.

So when the administration goes out to celebrate a school wide achievement the hand pick certain teachers to take with them?  I suppose that you are all expeced them to be impartial when assigning classloads, evaluating staff, making schedules, etc. It sounds like a school/workplace that at least has the potential for real issues in the future.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Yeah, I would be amongst the "none too impressed" simply because I was a captive audience member. (I like the "vacation" reference. ;))

A better way of handling this would have been showing a slide show of  school staff interacting with the children during day-to-day activities, explaining what the award was for and congratulating the faculty, giving them huge kudos for a job well done.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I'm trying to figure out how, seeing that it was not really a work event, but rather a social one invented by the participants to congratulate themselves, would be of interest to others who were not invited.  I wonder if the higher ups, or anyone for that matter, present slideshows at work of private parties in their homes to which some but not all employees were invited.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
I'm trying to figure out how, seeing that it was not really a work event, but rather a social one invented by the participants to congratulate themselves, would be of interest to others who were not invited.  I wonder if the higher ups, or anyone for that matter, present slideshows at work of private parties in their homes to which some but not all employees were invited.

It is kind of a strange hybrid because it was a private party to celebrate the award the audience helped earn.

bonyk

Re: Please enjoy this slideshow of the event that you weren't invited to
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »
OP here.  I think that the administration really believed that we would love, love, love seeing evidence of camaraderie, and that working at my school is just so totally awesome, so who could complain?   ::)

To be honest, it was so surreal that I was biting my lip to keep from laughing. 

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »
The only way I could see that being justifiable would be if the award ceremony and celebration were held in a distant location, or the guest list was limited by the Presenters.  For instance, if the school was in California, and the award was presented in DC, with a celebration to follow.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
Very strange, and much worse than vacation pictures.