Author Topic: "Why do you want to leave your current job?"  (Read 3441 times)

lisen

Re: "Why do you want to leave your current job?"
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
These are all good points.

As some have deduced, I am an instructor. I have been a 'contract instructor' at Tom's, but Noble College is offering a full-time position at a college with an educational mandate I really support. Although Noble College's specialty is not mine, it's similar and something I'm very interested in. As well, Tom's Academy was very narrow in its focus, while Noble College has a wider more inclusive scope. I only mention the commute because Tom's Academy is 1 hour each way for me, while Noble College is only 20 minutes. I do not enjoy crossing cities every day!

I think I know how I will present the information to Noble College now, and I am sure I will be back to ask for more tips if things go well with their board of directors and they interview me again. <fingers crossed>

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
Expressed diplomatically, everything in your middle paragraph above is a legitimate reason. I even think the commute is important -- that would give you back nearly 1.5 hours every day.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »
Yeah, but I wouldn't say that to the interviewer. Maybe not ever, and certainly not until I thought I'd made all the other good impressions I possibly could.

As the interviewer, I don't want to bother with that, and I'm far more interested in someone who wants to work with my organization.

z_squared82

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »

You might say, "I don't choose to. If they had a permanent place for me, I would take it. But this position ends in July. It would be remiss of me to not start the application process for other institutions." I wouldn't get into it with HR about your teaching philosophies, that sounds more like something to discuss during an interview.

The problem with this is that it sounds like you would rather remain at Tom's (which may be true), but they aren't going to go through the process if they think you will just end up staying at Tom's.

Ah, but you see, staying at Tom's isn't an option unless she endures a period of unwanted unemployment. Saying this sounds loyal, and who doesn't want loyal employees?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
Also try the forums at the Chronicle of Higher Education?  http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php#11