Author Topic: To HR or not to HR?  (Read 2809 times)

finecabernet

To HR or not to HR?
« on: June 02, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »
Please no medical advice, I've got that covered. I'm having a medical issue that is causing extreme fatigue, and have been nodding off at my desk here or there despite my very best efforts not to (as much caffeine as I can drink for example). This week was especially bad. I'm frantically trying to fix this medically but am terrified of getting caught at work. Problem is, I have a deep distrust of HR (sorry all of the HR folks there). Do I tell them now while I'm trying to fix this, or will it just be used against me? Also, how do I approach this without seeming like a Special Snowflake? Tell them I'm aware of it, it is totally beyond my control, and that I'm working on getting this fixed medically? Or do I wait until I have a doctor's note?

Please help!!!

delabela

Re: To HR or not to HR?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »
Is there a reason you think it would be used against you?  My instinct would be to talk to my supervisor.  Do you have a good relationship with your supervisor?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Is there a reason you are not comfortable disclosing to your manager or supervisor first? In my experience that has been the first discussion and then jointly decide if HR needs to be engaged.

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »
Unless you have a specific reason why the HR department at your particular employer will try to use this against you, you are better off being proactive and letting them know that you have this issue and that you're working with your doctor on it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
Please no medical advice, I've got that covered. I'm having a medical issue that is causing extreme fatigue, and have been nodding off at my desk here or there despite my very best efforts not to (as much caffeine as I can drink for example). This week was especially bad. I'm frantically trying to fix this medically but am terrified of getting caught at work. Problem is, I have a deep distrust of HR (sorry all of the HR folks there). Do I tell them now while I'm trying to fix this, or will it just be used against me? Also, how do I approach this without seeming like a Special Snowflake? Tell them I'm aware of it, it is totally beyond my control, and that I'm working on getting this fixed medically? Or do I wait until I have a doctor's note?

Please help!!!

would have a doctor's note that you have a condition or medication that can cause drowsiness.  I understand your concern because my experience with HR has been varied.  I knew an HR head who was wonderful, only to see her replaced by the most awful HR head imaginable when she passed away. It became the worst run depsrtment in the school district.

finecabernet

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
I do have a good relationship with manager but this situation is so mortifying that I don't think I could face her with this (hard enough to go to HR).

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:46:07 PM »
Speaking from a manager's viewpoint, it's possible that the nodding off has already been noticed.

I'd rather have an employee come to me and explain what's going on, rather than leaving me to discover s/he's falling asleep on the job. Because then I have to figure out how to bring this up to the employee and wonder if I need to discipline them or worse.

You don't have to go into detail. "Boss, I need to let you know that I'm having a medical issue right now. One of the symptoms is that I have extreme fatigue. This leads to my falling asleep at odd times, no matter how much sleep I get each night. If you happen to see me asleep, please do X. I am under medical care for this and my doctor is hopeful that the situation will be resolved in a week/month."

Employees who have been diabetic or epileptic have informed me of their condition and told me symptoms to watch for and what to do in case of an emergency. I see this as no different.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 10:50:48 PM »
Speaking from a manager's viewpoint, it's possible that the nodding off has already been noticed.

I'd rather have an employee come to me and explain what's going on, rather than leaving me to discover s/he's falling asleep on the job. Because then I have to figure out how to bring this up to the employee and wonder if I need to discipline them or worse.

You don't have to go into detail. "Boss, I need to let you know that I'm having a medical issue right now. One of the symptoms is that I have extreme fatigue. This leads to my falling asleep at odd times, no matter how much sleep I get each night. If you happen to see me asleep, please do X. I am under medical care for this and my doctor is hopeful that the situation will be resolved in a week/month."

Employees who have been diabetic or epileptic have informed me of their condition and told me symptoms to watch for and what to do in case of an emergency. I see this as no different.
this. It's better to be upfront than have your boss/es wonder if you need to be sent home or let go

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:30 PM »
I agree. Tell your manager you're having a problem and that you are consulting with your doctor about it.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Tell your boss, and go ahead and get a note from your doctor as a formality. I was also having extreme fatigue last year and while I never fell asleep at work, I came very close at times. Meetings were especially bad because the conference room was always warm and stuffy. My boss was aware I was having a medical issue that was causing the fatigue and it didn't cause any problems for me. I would rather the boss be aware of the problem than think I was lazy or irresponsible.

Waterlight

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »

POD camlan--and FWIW, I work in HR.  If you go to HR right away, they'll probably ask you whether you've discussed the issue with your supervisor first.  If you haven't, they'll tell you to do so before they do anything, IME.

I also agree with LadyClaire that getting a note from your doctor is a good idea.  I have a serious health condition that qualifies as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  It can affect anything from moods to energy level to short-term memory and concentration.  My supervisor knew about it, and was very understanding when my performance suffered because of it, but she insisted I have written documentation to cover my bacon-fed knave... just in case.  Once I got the note from my doctor, I was able to get the accommodations I needed to be able to do my job successfully.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

cwm

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
Problem is, I have a deep distrust of HR (sorry all of the HR folks there). Do I tell them now while I'm trying to fix this, or will it just be used against me? Also, how do I approach this without seeming like a Special Snowflake? Tell them I'm aware of it, it is totally beyond my control, and that I'm working on getting this fixed medically? Or do I wait until I have a doctor's note?

Please help!!!

I've had several companies where I don't trust a single person in HR for various reasons.

I'd agree, though, tell your direct supervisor or manager. You don't have to go into specifics, but have a doctor's note ready. Just go talk to them and say something like, "Hey, you may have noticed that I've been a bit drowsy at work. I'm working through something with my doctor and one of the side-effects is some pretty gnarly fatigue. Just wanted to let you know, it's an issue I'm aware of and I'm doing my best to get through it as quickly as possible." Hopefully that doesn't go into too much detail that you'd feel embarassed to tell a supervisor. If they question you on it, silently hand them the doctor's note. Hopefully you'll be able to work with your management team until you get it all taken care of.

Good luck! I hope you're feeling better soon, it's no fun to be sleepy at work from something else going on and then worrying about it on top of things.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »
Problem is, I have a deep distrust of HR (sorry all of the HR folks there). Do I tell them now while I'm trying to fix this, or will it just be used against me? Also, how do I approach this without seeming like a Special Snowflake? Tell them I'm aware of it, it is totally beyond my control, and that I'm working on getting this fixed medically? Or do I wait until I have a doctor's note?

Please help!!!

I've had several companies where I don't trust a single person in HR for various reasons.

I'd agree, though, tell your direct supervisor or manager. You don't have to go into specifics, but have a doctor's note ready. Just go talk to them and say something like, "Hey, you may have noticed that I've been a bit drowsy at work. I'm working through something with my doctor and one of the side-effects is some pretty gnarly fatigue. Just wanted to let you know, it's an issue I'm aware of and I'm doing my best to get through it as quickly as possible." Hopefully that doesn't go into too much detail that you'd feel embarassed to tell a supervisor. If they question you on it, silently hand them the doctor's note. Hopefully you'll be able to work with your management team until you get it all taken care of.

Good luck! I hope you're feeling better soon, it's no fun to be sleepy at work from something else going on and then worrying about it on top of things.

Any manager would
1) Want you to be proactive
2) Get medical verifcation
3) Know what steps you are taking to mitigate
4) How long it is expected to last
5) Talk to them before you talk to HR

so the above is excellent.