Author Topic: cherry blossom/patterned cake rolls?  (Read 1964 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
cherry blossom/patterned cake rolls?
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »
My latest obsession. I would like to make something like this http://www.delightdulce.com/2013/03/heart-patterned-cake-roll.html for ds's birthday ( with cherry blossoms). ( he's obsessed with anything japan).Did a little research and figured it out but was wondering if anyone here has ever attempted this? I'm a fair baker but for some reason cake rolls don't always come out right for me.

For those who are curious, from whats I could gather, you make a small batter, divide into small bowls and add food coloring. With a pastry bag, you draw the pattern on baking paper ( let's say a row of red hearts(, then freeze while you make the cake batter, pour over the new frozen decorations and bake. Then turn over remove the paper and voila! You have a roll with baked on design. Well, in theory, anyway

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Nikko-chan

Re: cherry blossom/patterned cake rolls?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
For the record: anything that is baked recoils in horror in my prescence. However, that said, I can look up cherry blossom patterns for you, and possibly even help with design.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
I haven't done the pattern with the frozen batter before, but have done general cake rolls.  The only time I passed the recipe to someone though she (a woman my mother's age) accused me (at about the age of 14) of sabotaging her because it didn't work, so maybe my methods aren't so great lol   I just use a jelly roll pan for the baking, then I cover a clean towel, piece of cloth, or a sushi mat with powdered sugar, flip it out carefully and then slowly do the rolling so that it gets accustomed to the shape.   

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:28:43 AM »
For the record: anything that is baked recoils in horror in my prescence. However, that said, I can look up cherry blossom patterns for you, and possibly even help with design.
thanks - i have the pattern and recipe and a youtube video that shows how it's done. I just wanted to know if anyone here has actually tried it.

and thanks NyaChan- maybe i should give the "slowly" thing a try

Ereine

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »
That's really cute. Our cake rolls seem to have a sort of similar basic recipe but if the filling is going to be something like whipped cream that requires a cooled off cake then some, maybe a third, of the flour will be substituted with a starch (we use potato starch) which seems to make it more flexible. I don't make them often as I prefer cakes but I don't remember having any particular problems with them.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
No advice but that's awesome!  I hope you post pictures of your completed cake.

I don't think your cherry blossom design would have to be as symmetrical and repeating as the designs in the link, though.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
thanks - i have the pattern and recipe and a youtube video that shows how it's done. I just wanted to know if anyone here has actually tried it.

and thanks NyaChan- maybe i should give the "slowly" thing a try

Only suggestion that comes to mind is to make the batter that you are going to use for the pastry bag thicker/stiffer.  Or use metal cookie cutters to hold the batter while it freezes. (which might not work if you can't find cherry blossom cutouts)  I would divide the recipe into 2/3 and 1/3 if possible and reduce the liquid in the 1/3 batter.

CakeBeret

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
That looks really cool--I am interested in trying it myself!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: cherry blossom/patterned cake rolls? updated with photos
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
yay! so it's not perfect, it cracked a bit, and the colors are a bit pale but - it worked and I am happy. next time will be better.

Happy birthday to the best kid evah!
https://plus.google.com/photos/101200360749969508465/albums/5881274740014576033?banner=pwa
(hope it works now)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:33:20 PM by cicero »

amylouky

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »
Aww. Can't see the pictures. But it sounds lovely!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »
sorry hope it's fixed now

Margo

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
can't see the pictures :-(

It does sound lovely, and a great idea.

CakeBeret

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
It says I don't have permission to view the photos. But I'm glad you were pleased with the results!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
I got to see them.  I think it was a great first attempt!  It looks so cool.

If I could make a recommendation?  Use a smaller piping tip for the cherry blossom work next time to account for the spreading.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Nikko-chan

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:05:19 PM »
was it tasty? and what did you use for the filling?