General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Craigslist query-- what's the norm?

<< < (2/4) > >>

ladyknight1:
Seems bizarre to me, but I have experienced strange contact every time I have posted something on Craigslist.

amylouky:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on May 23, 2013, 11:31:17 AM ---
ETA:  If it was a large item, I might enquire of the seller:  'I'm interested in purchasing [item] but I don't have a vehicle large enough to pick it up.  Would you be willing and able to deliver it?  I'd be willing to pay an extra $[amt] for delivery.'

--- End quote ---

I've done exactly this with good results. I would definitely expect to pay extra if the person is able to deliver, because the norm is for the buyer to pick up the item, either at the seller's home or a public location. I prefer public locations myself but I have had a few people pick up larger items here (and one delivery of a racecar bed  :)  )

25wishes:
I have this happen even when I am GIVING away stuff on Freecycle, to the point that I put a disclaimer in each listing, I do not go out often and can not meet you anywhere. (also I do not have a cell phone so it really wouldn't work).

It's FREE - pick it up if you want it!! Geesh...

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: Barb3000 on May 23, 2013, 01:56:28 PM ---I have this happen even when I am GIVING away stuff on Freecycle, to the point that I put a disclaimer in each listing, I do not go out often and can not meet you anywhere. (also I do not have a cell phone so it really wouldn't work).

It's FREE - pick it up if you want it!! Geesh...

--- End quote ---

I recently offered an XBox on Freecycle - DH had gotten it (one of the original ones) for free somehow and we've never used it, and he finally admitted he wasn't likely to bother setting it up.  I very specifically said in my listing that I would only give it to someone who replied with a specific date and time they could come pick it up - I'd much rather be able to say "Sure, that sounds good!" than have to go the additional step of "You're first; when can you get it?" and having to do another back-and-forth.

I got twelve replies, only ONE of which offered to pick it up at a specific date and time.  She wasn't first, but guess who got a reply from me?   ::)

lowspark:
In my experience, the norm is to meet somewhere mutually agreeable or for the buyer to come to the seller. I quit meeting people in neutral places because when they don't show up, you're stuck somewhere waiting. I always just have them come to my home (and especially if it's furniture I'm selling) and if they don't bother to come, well, no skin off my nose.

I have neither the equipment nor the muscle to move heavy furniture. You want it? Come 'n' get it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version