News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No solicitors sign  (Read 15013 times)

Zilla

• Cooking
No solicitors sign
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »
On my main community entrance there is a No Solicitors sign.  There is another one as you enter my street.  And in fact you have to stop at the stop sign with has the No Solicitors of ANY kind sign next to it before you can turn into my section.  But that doesn't deter them.  I went ahead and posted my own sign on my door.

Pic here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UGg-eU6Bs98/T78slIcykYI/AAAAAAAABqk/92wrpoxiLRI/s1600/no-soliciting.jpg

It was polite as many I saw were quite rude.  Now I am thinking what if they still ring my doorbell.  What do I tell them?  Do I address the fact that they are ignoring 3 signs and is now rude?  Or do the standard, "Not interested, thank you" and close door.

LeveeWoman

Re: No solicitors sign
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »
On my main community entrance there is a No Solicitors sign.  There is another one as you enter my street.  And in fact you have to stop at the stop sign with has the No Solicitors of ANY kind sign next to it before you can turn into my section.  But that doesn't deter them.  I went ahead and posted my own sign on my door.

Pic here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UGg-eU6Bs98/T78slIcykYI/AAAAAAAABqk/92wrpoxiLRI/s1600/no-soliciting.jpg

It was polite as many I saw were quite rude.  Now I am thinking what if they still ring my doorbell.  What do I tell them?  Do I address the fact that they are ignoring 3 signs and is now rude?  Or do the standard, "Not interested, thank you" and close door.

I'm trying to figure out what that sign doesn't cover, but I can't think of a thing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:10:04 AM by LeveeWoman »

audrey1962

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
I would just stick to "not interested, thank you" as anything else is engaging them in conversation. End the conversation quickly and get on with your life.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:07:06 AM »
I like your sign—however, due to the font, "church groups" looks kinda like "cliurk groups" to me though.

TBH, I would double-check that the sign is there, look meaningfully at it, then say "no thanks," and close the door.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
I would just stick to "not interested, thank you" as anything else is engaging them in conversation. End the conversation quickly and get on with your life.

It's hard to get on with my routine when I had no less than 3 solicitors rang yesterday including one 5 minute before 9PM.  I am hoping they don't even ring my bell.  But I will be pretty irate if they do ring that bell.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
I've gotten to the point that if I don't recognize the person standing on the other side of my door, I just don't answer it (unless they are wearing a delivery company uniform and I'm expecting a package).  Even if they can see me through the door.  So that's what I would recommend you do.  If you do answer the door, I think I would be tempted to say, 'May I have your name and affiliation, please?  You have blatantly ignored 3 'no soliciting' signs.  I will be reporting you to the police (HOA management, whoever is in power to charge these people).'  I'm quite sure they will beat feet in a hurry.

If it is, in fact, someone I know, they should have my number and can call me from the doorstep and ask why I'm not answering the door.

After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Aquamarine

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
"No soliciting includes you, good day".  Then close the door, do not have a single word of dialog with these people!  They are being horrifically rude, entitled and intrusive to ignore your sign thinking it doesn't pertain to them when it fact it does.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
Many cities have ordinances requiring solicitors to have a permit and a photo ID- which they must carry on their person. Since DH has started grilling solicitors for that as soon as he answers the door, the number who appear on our door step have dropped significantly.  ;)

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
I'd start handing out literacy brochures.

snowdragon

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »
I have three no trespass signs on my property border closest to the street, and a No soliciting sign on the door and I still get people coming to the door. I simply point out the sign at this point and close the door.

stargazer

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
I'm with Outdoor Girl.  If I don't recognize you through the peephole I do not even open the door.

Arrynne

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
I get a lot of sales people because I work from home.  I do a cheery "No thanks!" and close the door.   I thank the proselytizers, tell them that I have my own church, but wish them good luck.   

I probably wouldn't be e-hell approved if someone rang my doorbell at 5 minutes to 9 though.   "Do you have any idea what time it is?  I -just- put my son to sleep."

xanne

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:17 PM »
At our vacation property we have a long uphill driveway with brambles on either side.  At the bottom of the drive is a No Trespassing sign - the gate was open because we were there.  The folks on the quad who rode to the top "just wanted to see what was up there".  What do you not understand about No Trespassing we asked?  After 3 rounds of them repeating the above conversation we gave up and told them not to return.   I totally don't understand people.

poundcake

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
I'd start handing out literacy brochures.

You joke, Slartibartfast, but I had to do almost exactly that. I tried a variety of signs, including one that said "NO MENUS, SALES, RELIGIOUS SOLICITATIONS" and they would still ring my doorbell! So I put my nice, big dictionary on the hall table next to the door with a page in the S section marked. When they would ring, I would say, "Did you not see the sign?" and they would always reply, "But *we* aren't soliciting! We're just selling magazines/candy bars/talking about Cthulhu!"

That was when I'd hand them the open dictionary and ask them to read me the highlighted entry for "soliciting." Got rid of two church groups and a school who used to bug me almost on a weekly basis before that.  >:D

However, there was one kid who, when I indicated the sign, said "I didn't know what that meant." I explained it, and told him whoever was sending him out (I suspect it was one of those shady candy sales deals) should make sure he knew what it meant, because no one who had a sign up like that would appreciate it being ignored and he might actually get reported. I felt bad for him, but I also felt cranky at having my huge work project interrupted at 9pm.

rose red

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »
We have a bright bold sparkly sign right above the doorbell.  You can't miss it.  Doesn't stop these people.  I just point and say "not interested" and close the door.