News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 12:03:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No solicitors sign  (Read 15068 times)

25wishes

Re: No solicitors sign
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
How about a sign that says, "Shift worker sleeping, please do not ring bell or knock."

Otherwise I would just point to the sign and say nothing, then close the door.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »
"No, I'm not a solicitor - I just wanted to tell you about (insert solicitation here)."

Seriously, I had a couple come into my office and when they started their spiel I said "I guess you missed the 'No Solicitors' sign on the door." 

They became quite rude after that.

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:07:25 PM »
"No, I'm not a solicitor - I just wanted to tell you about (insert solicitation here)."

Seriously, I had a couple come into my office and when they started their spiel I said "I guess you missed the 'No Solicitors' sign on the door." 

I had one tell me he wasn't selling anything but that my friend next door told him I would be...I stopped him and said, "But I just moved in and never met the neighbors.  What friend could you possibly be talking about?"  He stuttered and spluttered and I said, "They probably meant someone else." and closed the door.

Yvaine

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »

Yeah, I'd say there's one big subset of solicitors who think their thing is so great that they're the exception, and another big subset who don't know what the word "soliciting" means.

Amara

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »
ACK, all those fonts and colors! It's a lot to take in if you are trying to get someone's attention in a short amount of time.

I have a book I read a long time ago by a guy named Paco Underhill who wrote Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping. A fascinating read! In it, he talks about his consulting services and experiences and one of the things he stresses to store owners is that any signs in the window have to say what they say very fast. In other words, shoppers are doing many things as they walk from the parking lot into the store and any sign that doesn't say what it needs to in words that can be read in two or three seconds is useless.

I think it applies to your sign. There is too much going on. Soliciters approaching your door are thinking about whether you are home, assessing your home to see what they can tell about you, deciding how they are going to approach you when they talk, thinking over their last pitch and what went wrong or right, feeling hungry and wondering what they can have for lunch, hoping that you invite them in because their feet hurt and it would be so good to get off them for a while, etc. If you want them to read your sign you have to get their attention, and keep it, long enough for them do so without splitting it among all those concerns, conscious and unconscious, they have. Shorter really is better. 

Also, have you considered humor? When I needed a sign for my office door to tell others not to bother me because I was on an editing deadline I initially used "On Deadline. Do Not Disturb." It was effective, but I soon changed it to something that was a bit longer but caught everyone's attention and let them smile. It had a headline in large font "Please disturb if ..." and then below it was, on the left, a picture of a building in flames, and to its right "the building is on fire." Below that on the left was a picture of Robert Redford in his heyday and to the right of that "or Bob is on the phone." Only slightly longer but more effective.

Typos!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:46:11 PM by Amara »

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
I live in a remote apartment complex that can only be entered from one street with two driveways:

--------     entry      ---------------    entry  --------------
     sign                           sign                          sign

All three signs say no soliciting, still they knock on the doors.  Had one the other night and I refused to open the door.  He was very rude and just kept knocking & knocking.  I turned the tv up and ignored the knocking.

I would like to open the door and throw a bucket of water on them but I am afraid of the retaliation. 

veronaz

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 03:19:45 PM »
OP, I think your sign is too detailed and lengthy.

"No unexpected visitors" would suffice.

There are plenty of other signs; they KNOW they shouldn't be ringing your bell.  You don't have to tell them anything - don't answer.  No explanation is necessary.

Otherwise I would just point to the sign and say nothing, then close the door.
Don't open the door in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:21:51 PM by veronaz »

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
How about a sign like this:

NO SOLICITING
That means
NO SELLING
NO BEGGING
NO PREACHING
NO FLYERS
NO EXCEPTIONS

Not even for YOU!

Short, to the point, and explains what "no soliciting" means.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »
When they would ring, I would say, "Did you not see the sign?" and they would always reply, "But *we* aren't soliciting! We're just selling magazines/candy bars/talking about Cthulhu!"

I would totally invite those folks in!  :D

What I would do in the OP's case, however, is go with jedikaiti's version of the sign, then if people still show up at the door, point to the sign and firmly tell them that they're in violation of my stated rules and the rules of my community, then shut the door in their faces.

If I were able to determine that one or more solicitors were repeat offenders, I would find out what organization they were with and file a complaint.

Soooo glad I don't have to deal with stuff like this where I live. What an annoyance!
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

veronaz

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks opening the door AT ALL, talking, explaining, pointing, etc. is a bad idea?   :-\

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »

NO SOLICITING
That means
NO SELLING
NO BEGGING
NO PREACHING
NO FLYERS
NO EXCEPTIONS

Not even for YOU!

This !

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

NO SOLICITING
That means
NO SELLING
NO BEGGING
NO PREACHING
NO FLYERS
NO EXCEPTIONS

Not even for YOU!

This !

I felt this was rude for me personally.  I also thought since they are avoiding the first two signs, a straightforward sign isn't going to work either.  I figured the top part was in large enough fonts and the rest is just extra.  But thanks for the suggestions!

sammycat

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks opening the door AT ALL, talking, explaining, pointing, etc. is a bad idea?   :-\

No, you're not the only one.

If I don't know someone, or don't want to engage with someone I do know, I just don't answer the door. Simple.

Zilla

• Cooking
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »

If I don't know someone, or don't want to engage with someone I do know, I just don't answer the door. Simple.

I have an outer glass/screened door that is locked first then my front door is locked.  So I am able to open my door a crack and speak to them through the glass.  If I lived in my hometown, I wouldn't open the door.  But here it's a bit different.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »

I have an outer glass/screened door that is locked first then my front door is locked.  So I am able to open my door a crack and speak to them through the glass.  If I lived in my hometown, I wouldn't open the door.  But here it's a bit different.

No one can force you to open your door nor is there any rule that says you must.