Author Topic: No solicitors sign  (Read 6868 times)

prock929

Re: No solicitors sign
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »
I live in a trailer park that has a "No Solicitation" sign as you enter.   Last summer, I was sitting on my front porch when I saw a couple of 'gentlemen' walking up the street with clipboards.   ::)  Unfortunately, they saw me before I could duck back into my trailer.  They launched into a spiel about how they were offering a free security system; the only thing I had to do was agree to put a sign on my lawn advertising their company.  I told them that there was No Soliciting in the park and they claimed that they had permission from the park owner and anyways they weren't  selling anything.   I said I was not interested and sent them on their way.  When I got back into my home, I thought of the perfect comeback (isn't that always the way?)   They were offering a free security system in return for me advertising for them.   How much advertisement did they think they'd get out of a sign placed in a private park with no thru traffic?

(I did consider that it might be a set-up/scam but if it was it was very elaborate as they had company shirts and I was able to find the website of the company online.   It was a pretty extensive website, too.)

On a side note, I have noticed that the solicitors from <certain religious organization> have taken to accosting - I mean talking - to people in a local supermarket lot.  >:(

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »
The next time they came calling, she just looked them. And looked at them. And looked at them. And said nothing. They talked. And talked. And talked. And she just looked at them. Finally, they stopped talking, turned around, and left. I don't believe they returned after that.

She may be burning in EtiquetteHell for her antics, but these stories, and others, have given the family storytelling fodder for generations.

My sisters and I, when we were pre-teens, used to note when people from Religious Group started making their way down our street. We'd hurriedly set up an altar/shrine in the driveway and pretend to be conducting exotic rituals in worship of whatever deities we felt like making up at the time.

Some of them skipped our house, but not all of them. My father enjoyed inviting in the ones who made it to the door and debating with them at length. They seldom returned.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »

(I did consider that it might be a set-up/scam but if it was it was very elaborate as they had company shirts and I was able to find the website of the company online.   It was a pretty extensive website, too.)

I'd guess that it was a scam - they give you a cheap and not very effective security "system" (maybe a motion detector attached to a siren), which is probably cheaper than actually paying for advertising.  People see tons of houses with "X Security System" signs, and assume it's a popular choice.

JoW

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »

I'd guess that it was a scam - they give you a cheap and not very effective security "system" (maybe a motion detector attached to a siren), which is probably cheaper than actually paying for advertising.  People see tons of houses with "X Security System" signs, and assume it's a popular choice.
Another way it can work, the system is free.  They install all the sensors and wiring for free.  But the system works by being monitored from another location.  That monitoring isn't free.

johelenc1

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »
Just out of curiosity...would you consider real estate agents who are just introducing themselves to be a bother as well?  For instance, agent knocks on door to say "hello, my name is, if I can help you in any way, please let me know...here's my card."

dawbs

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »
Just out of curiosity...would you consider real estate agents who are just introducing themselves to be a bother as well?  For instance, agent knocks on door to say "hello, my name is, if I can help you in any way, please let me know...here's my card."

Personally yes.  And I'd also probably argue that it is indeed soliciting.

MrTango

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »

In my opinion, that would be no different from a guy offering to sell shrimp out of a cooler from the back of his pickup.

I don't answer the door if the person on the other side is someone I don't know.  Fortunately, I have a peephole rather than a window, so they'd have no way to know that anyone is home.  If someone somehow did figure out that I was home and started pounding on the door, I would find my phone and my friend "Glock".  I would call 911 and report someone trying to force their way into my house and guard the door until Police arrived.

veronaz

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 10:04:18 PM »
Agree with dawbs and MrTango.  It's soliciting; it's an intrusion.

Ditto for an attorney, auto mechanic, hair stylist, or a brain surgeon knocking on my door and trying to hand me a card.  I say 'trying' because I would never open the door.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:16:50 PM by veronaz »

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2013, 11:58:21 PM »
...any sign that doesn't say what it needs to in words that can be read in two or three seconds is useless.
Also, have you considered humor?...
Typos!
I'd say my "Go Away" doormat has both of these point covered ;) anyone who knows me well enough to be invited for a visit gets my little introvert joke.

The new trend in our area is people dropping their business cards on the front lawn of every single house in the development. DH and I walk our yellow lab through about 3 miles of neighborhood every evening and at least once a week there's a new business card on every single lawn. I've called 2 of the ones that ended up on our grass specifically to say that we would never be doing business with a company that thought "littering up our neighborhood" was a good way to promote business.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
I'd go with jedikaiti's sign as easier to read, but maybe in a bright red font.

Then I'd probably resort to yelling "go away!" through the door, without even opening it.

Sebastienne

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 02:28:15 AM »
I only open the door to people I don't know when I'm expecting a package. Of course, sometimes it's not a package. I told the woman trying to solicit new clients for her investment firm yesterday that my name was Sally Draper, and my dad was in charge of my investments. I was hoping that the knock meant my new boots had arrived.

My husband, on the other hand, will always open the door. One time, we were expecting guests, and he was about to put a minikeg of beer (about 5 litres) on the buffet, when the doorbell rang. He opened it, while carrying the minikeg, to a couple of individuals from a religion that expressly forbids alcohol. They said they were there to talk about Religion; he held out the keg and said, "Sorry, we're good." I saw them in the neighborhood a few more times, but never at our house.

Lynnv

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 03:51:16 AM »
On a side note, I have noticed that the solicitors from <certain religious organization> have taken to accosting - I mean talking - to people in a local supermarket lot.  >:(

I got hit up today at a rest area in northern CA.   I am not entirely sure that accosting and annoying people who just want to hit the restroom and walk around a little is effective.  Even if I was inclined to listen, this would put me right off.   >:(

Some of them skipped our house, but not all of them. My father enjoyed inviting in the ones who made it to the door and debating with them at length. They seldom returned.

My grandma used to invite them in, give them water and lemonade, and argue theology with them.  They did keep returning.  Possibly because she would let them in and let them talk to her, as long as she got equal time to attempt to convert them to her denomination.   :)
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

prock929

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »

That's why I was sorry I thought of my comeback after they had left.  Nobody would see the sign except people coming in and out of the trailer park as it is a private road with no outlet.

catbug

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 06:31:15 AM »
I had a long term illness which forced me to be housebound and I got so sick of the people knocking on the door. After one week where there was over 10 people coming to the door I made up my own sign. Hope it is ehell approved.

To Visitors To Our Property

We don't want to change our phone supplier
We don't wish to change our power supplier
We are happy with our gas supplier
We don't want to change our internet supplier
We are happy with our mobile phone supplier
We don't wish to change our garden man
We don't need cleaning supplies or household goods
If we want something, we will research it ourselves

If you ignore this sign, don't be offended when we shut the door before you finish your spiel.

Three hours after I put the sign up at eye level in the window next to the front door, I saw someone with a clipboard walk up the driveway, stop to read the sign, then walk back down the driveway. Success. A couple of days later I had a couple of guys walk up the driveway, read the sign, then knock anyway. They asked if we didn't want to donate to charity as it wasn't on the list, and I said I was happy to talk to charity workers as long as they understood I would only donate if I wanted to, not because they guilted me into it. They were happy with that and despite me not donating we did have a nice chat.

Since the sign has gone up over 3 years ago, I have had only one person ring the bell that wanted me to swap my phone company. As soon as he started his spiel I pointed to the sign and shut the door. I have occasionally had some religious people ring the bell, but since my neighbour has scared most of them off, we don't get many of them here. And other than my Avon lady that I told to personally ignore the sign, we have been left alone.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
I had a guy from a local small garage trying to sell oil change packages.  They were a really good price but I wasn't interested.  At the time, my Dad did my oil changes for me and never charged me anything, even for the filter and oil.  When I said I wasn't interested, that I was happy with where I was getting my changes done, he offered to beat their price.  So I asked him, 'Can you beat free?'  He kind of paused, then grinned, thanked me for my time and left.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario