Author Topic: On to classical music mystery #2...  (Read 1397 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
On to classical music mystery #2...
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
OK - so now we have established that my mystery piece number one is Debussy's Arabesque (thank you ydpubs!), we can get on to the next mystery piece. ( I can't remember if maybe I've posted about this before??? possibly...)

This was a piece I heard at my parents' house 20 some years ago.  Yes, I have been thinking about this for that long. Things to keep in mind when you think about this....

1. My parents were music majors, so their classical music collection is extensive and consists of more than just your average recognizable pieces
2. I played in my city's youth symphony orchestra for four years, so I also had a lot of exposure to a lot of the more mainstream classical pieces
3. It is not from Disney's Fantasia ;)
4. It's not The Pines of Rome
5. I have heard pieces by Ravel, Debussy, and Respighi that have a similar sound to them, but haven't been able to find this exact piece.
6.  Most importantly - DAD hasn't been able to figure out what the piece is either and it's in his bloody record collection! LOL

I can only remember about four bars of this piece (talk about irritating!).  The segment I can remember starts off with this fantastic french horn segment - almost like a "triumphant" sounding sort of thing, then it seems to be answered by the strings - with the flutes and woodwinds "twittering" in the background.  It is *not* from Fantasia, but it reminds me of woodland creatures and butterflies and maybe a meadow.  If I had to have visualization to go with it, that is....those four bars....visualization...woodland creatures....just those.four.bars....

I'm open to suggestions.  Worst case scenario is I get to listen to lots of nice classical music during my quest!

Thanks!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: On to classical music mystery #2...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »
Just off the top of my head . . . maybe something from "Peter and the Wolf?"

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »
Just off the top of my head . . . maybe something from "Peter and the Wolf?"

Exactly what I was thinking by the description.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
It does sound like Peter and the Wolf, likely the finale.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMIa7XD7hWs
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ti_ax

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
Konzertstucke for 4 horns & orchestra by Robert Schumann?

yellowpineapple

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
Thaickovsky 4th Symphony, first movement--particularly later in the movement when the "fate" theme returns in the horns?  The Moldau (Smetana), later in the work, after the "storm"?

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:42:16 AM »
Maybe this one?
http://www.wwnorton.com/college/music/listeninglab/shared/listening_guides/dvorak_symphony_no_9.pdf
Guess not from the description of the beginning, but it's an interesting site.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:44:14 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:01:25 AM »
I can only remember about four bars of this piece (talk about irritating!).  The segment I can remember starts off with this fantastic french horn segment - almost like a "triumphant" sounding sort of thing, then it seems to be answered by the strings - with the flutes and woodwinds "twittering" in the background.  It is *not* from Fantasia, but it reminds me of woodland creatures and butterflies and maybe a meadow.  If I had to have visualization to go with it, that is....those four bars....visualization...woodland creatures....just those.four.bars....

Till Eulenspiegel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7O9Oa22nsQ

cwm

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »
If you remember exactly how the horn part went, maybe you could write it out in music notation? I have a massive collection at home of french horn orchestral excerpts (due to 5 years at college playing horn), but a terrible memory for knowing which is what. Even if you could write out a vague idea of how the horn call went, it would help narrowing things down.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »
If you remember exactly how the horn part went, maybe you could write it out in music notation? I have a massive collection at home of french horn orchestral excerpts (due to 5 years at college playing horn), but a terrible memory for knowing which is what. Even if you could write out a vague idea of how the horn call went, it would help narrowing things down.

I'll see if I can get it worked out - what a great idea!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:19:08 PM »
So, are you saying "NO" to Peter and the Wolf?

I'm currently listening to Bethalize's suggestion.

It, too, sounds like a fit.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
On a side note . . . Thank you Bethalize! for providing that link.

What an incredible performance. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ;D

Rohanna

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »
It's not one of pieces with Siegrieds theme from Wagner's Ring cycle is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MkMdlfl8Hg&t=0m35s

That's the solo :)

Or Rimsky-Korsakov's Sinbad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOq9NjdLxlw
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:47:43 PM by Rohanna »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

blueberry.muffin

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
Vorspiel by Wagner? Probably not, but it's still lovely. (Link is from opening scene of A New World. Loved that movie.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFkyAD9gS6g

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
On a side note . . . Thank you Bethalize! for providing that link.

What an incredible performance. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ;D

I'm glad you liked it.