Author Topic: Earthquake!  (Read 1586 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Earthquake!
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:14:29 AM »
So, I live outside Sacramento and just felt my first quake. I hope if we have any members outside Redding or Chico that they're ok.

SCAJAfamily

Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:36:04 AM »
My parents are at Lake Almanor, very close to the epicenter.  They felt it!
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

medowynd

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:02:34 AM »
We felt it in Folsom.

Minmom3

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:22:48 AM »
So, I live outside Sacramento and just felt my first quake. I hope if we have any members outside Redding or Chico that they're ok.

My girlfriend is living up in Oroville, and had JUST sat on the commode....  Unpleasantly startled, but not damaged at all.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:44:45 AM »

My girlfriend is living up in Oroville, and had JUST sat on the commode....  Unpleasantly startled, but not damaged at all.

Oh dear, something else for me to fear: being caught in a natural disaster on a toilet.

Arrynne

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 02:54:51 AM »
That was the biggest quake I've felt since moving to Sac.  I lived through Loma Prieta back in '89. For a few seconds I was wondering if I needed to grab the baby and go outside!  Little man snoozed through the whole thing. :). I remember being a little kid in the SF Bay Area and thinking earthquakes were fun prior to '89. :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:17:00 AM »
I just read the Sacramento Bee item on it online and it said it was 5.7 with 11 after shocks within an hour afterwards.  That must have been a startling experience.  I felt one once and it was only 2 point something but it felt like a truck had slammed in into the building.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

crella

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »
Oh dear, something else for me to fear: being caught in a natural disaster on a toilet.

:D  For the first couple of weeks after the big one we had in '95, we slept in our clothes and took showers instead of baths, no one wanted to be caught naked by the next one.

5.7 is a good stiff shake, I'm glad everybody's ok. Our last one a few weeks ago was 5.8 and things rattled a good bit.

BarensMom

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
My niece lives near the epicenter in Greenville - they had a bunch of stuff go splat at their place.  She says the aftershocks are upsetting her chickens - they keep squawking and fluttering about.

magicdomino

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »

On the other hand, it is convenient if you get really, really scared.   >:D

Arrynne

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »
Here in Sacramento it was pretty mild.  Enough to set the windchimes jingling and make you wonder who was shaking your couch.  I'm sure the folks closer to Greenville lost some of their good china to the shaking. 

My friend quipped that the happy cows were getting a foot massage. 

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
We felt it too - rolled for about 15 seconds in waves.  Strange, after living in CA almost my entire life (sans college), this is the 1st earthquake I've actually felt here.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
Funny, I didn't feel a thing. I haven't felt an earthquake since moving here in 1995. In southern California we felt them ALL the time.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
Stupid question, but one I haven't had to have the knowledge of, since we don't have earthquakes.

Are all buildings in California (including apartments, stores, etc) built in such a way that they're more resistant (possibly not totally so, but at least more than would be in non-earthquake states) to damage by an earthquake?  Are there reinforcements put in automatically when building a structure?

Whimsyone

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
We live in the foothills outside of Sacramento. Didn't feel a thing! We're also thinking of distant relatives in the Susanville area.
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.