Author Topic: Do you decorate early or later?  (Read 1836 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Do you decorate early or later?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2014, 06:43:51 PM »
I have a new shallow dresser in the living room so I might put up a small tree there.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
...And on a much less elegant note, we start the wise men from our nativity at the opposite end of the house from the nativity itself and bring them closer at intervals, taking pictures of their progress throughout the house and sending them to our sons.  They finally make it on January 6th.

My favorite decoration is the nativity scene.  The figurines are those indestructible Italian ones in sepia tones.  My 4-year-old DD's set my parent's when she was visiting with them.  She thought it was great too.  I told her that we have our own set.  She looked at me in amazement and said, "Do you have as many animals?"  The funny thing is, that I have more.  I've always loved the animals.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »
...And on a much less elegant note, we start the wise men from our nativity at the opposite end of the house from the nativity itself and bring them closer at intervals, taking pictures of their progress throughout the house and sending them to our sons.  They finally make it on January 6th.

My favorite decoration is the nativity scene.  The figurines are those indestructible Italian ones in sepia tones.  My 4-year-old DD's set my parent's when she was visiting with them.  She thought it was great too.  I told her that we have our own set.  She looked at me in amazement and said, "Do you have as many animals?"  The funny thing is, that I have more.  I've always loved the animals.

My Grandparents and parents did that too.  The nativity scene would be set up but the baby Jesus would not be put into the manger until Christmas eve.  That was when the Magi would start would start their journey from the kitchen.  Every day they'd be on a different ledge or window sill until they reached the manger on the feast of the Epiphany. 

Margo

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
Christmas Eve. 

Although if I am spending Christmas at my parents home I may put up a tree at my house about a week before as it is then nice to come home to.

The decorations al come down on 12th Night.

This year I am hosting Christmas in my new house (finally big enough for more than one guest at a time!)

I haven;t yet decided about the tree- I have a really good artificial one, which come in 3 sections, but I may splash out and get a real one as well. 

I will be interesting to see what the kittens make of it.. it will be their first christmas.

I'm planning to get some outdoor lights to put in the hedge between my front garden and next door

Library Dragon

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 03:13:19 AM »

My Grandparents and parents did that too.  The nativity scene would be set up but the baby Jesus would not be put into the manger until Christmas eve.  That was when the Magi would start would start their journey from the kitchen.  Every day they'd be on a different ledge or window sill until they reached the manger on the feast of the Epiphany.

This! Epiphany is such a great celebration.  We have a party as close to January 6th as we can get and do our annual house blessing. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 10:27:43 AM »
I was working from home yesterday and cussing at the computer.  In order to chill, I put on some Christmas music.  It is really really hard to be angry when Judy Collins is singing Christmas songs.  DH said, "Christmas music, already?"  Although, he worked in Walmart as a youngin so he has the retail workers aversion to Christmas music. 

Bottlecaps

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
I've been sorely tempted to put up my Christmas decorations. I almost did last week! I'm trying to wait until after Thanksgiving - of course, since I'll be off work on Thanksgiving, I just might get the hair up my rear to put them up that evening! :-P
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

catwhiskers

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »
I will be interesting to see what the kittens make of it.. it will be their first christmas.

The bottom of your tree (at the very least) is going to get destroyed. If you have any special decorations that are both breakable and of sentimental value to you, I'd leave them off the tree this time around. In my experience, the first time they see a Christmas tree is always the worst. I have pictures somewhere of six month old kitten almost at the top of my tree.

Edited to add a few words.

katycoo

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:41 PM »
I usually decorate in very late Nov/Early Dec when I have the time.  I have a HUGE tree but not much else goes up besides it.

A couple years I didn't put the kings/ wise men in until Ephiphany. We haven't put up a large tree in years.

In the spirit of accuracy I never put the wise men in the nativity scene, because they weren't there.  They were en route, but didn't arrive until Jesus was about 2.  So I like to put them in a different room, but on their way.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »
We have an artificial tree.  I like just being able to pull it out every year and set it up, and not have to go through the extra process of buying the tree, watering it, etc.  It even has the lights pre-attached.

I let the kids decorate it first, which means that basically the bottom half of the tree gets decorated.  It looks hilarious.  Then after they go to bed I redistribute the decorations to even it out a bit.  :)

We don't decorate until after Thanksgiving, and sometimes not until well into December.  Depends on what's going on at the time.  Now that the kids are old enough, I basically get down the Christmas stuff and let them have at it.  We do have an Advent calendar that starts December 1st, so I'll probably want to get that up.  This year I also want to try this activity where you wrap 25 books (generally Christmas-themed) and let the kids open one for each day of December, then you read it to them.  I have a ton of library books all planned out and on hold at the library, waiting for pickup.  I bought one new book and two new DVDs.  So hopefully we'll have a lot of fun reading through great classes like "The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey," etc.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:27 AM »
This evening I went to the thrift store's Christmas sale and got a few lovely old ornaments.  I'm going to make a decorated space in the 'window' between the kitchen and laundry room.  It used to be a an outdoor window but the laundry room was added and so the glass was taken out of it leaving just a pretty good sized space.  The ledge is wide enough so I can make a nice display, I think.  I'm looking forward to that.  It's going to be fun. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Coley

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »
I'm hoping we can buy the tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving and decorate it either that afternoon/evening or on Sunday. When DH and I got married, we decided one of our traditions would be a real tree. We go to a tree lot that sells trees for a charity organization. We also get a real wreath for the front door that's made by a local business.

I like to have the house decorated as early after Thanksgiving as possible. DH and DS will probably be able to get lights up outside that weekend if it isn't raining or snowy. I usually do a lot of the indoor decorating while DH and DS do the outdoor stuff.

We have many nativities. It's kind of funny. I had seven different nativities before DH and I got married. I didn't use all of them. (My mother had, for some reason, been giving me nativities over the years as if I didn't have one.) When DH and I got married, he brought two with him. Then, for reasons I don't understand, my mother gave us yet another nativity as a gift after we got married. And then there were 10. We've donated a few of them. I kept a Fontanini nativity that came with a stable and an angel. I have a tiny wooden nativity that is from my childhood. (Tradition is that DS always sets it up.) I have a ceramic nativity that DS painted when he was 8 years old. And I have two other small, ceramic nativities that I bought in New Mexico. So we're down to five nativities, I think. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what happened to one of DH's nativities. Maybe it's still in the basement ...

snowfire

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
I usually decorate right after Thanksgiving.  I loooove Christmas decorations!  The first year we were in this house we bought a live, potted tree & after Christmas we planted it in our yard.  I decorated it outdoors for many years until it got too tall. (It is a Douglas Fir which is now over 30 feet tall!) The second year we had a cut tree.  I didn't know that my tree stand had a hairline crack in it until the carpet started squishing.  :o  After that, I gave up on the real trees.  I still love the smell, but don't like cutting down a tree just to stick it in the house  for a couple of weeks.  In an after Christmas clearance I got two gorgeous 7.5 foot artificial trees.  I had intended to alternate from year to year, but I ended up giving one to my Mom. They were a real score, though.  They had been close to 300.00 & I got them for 30.00 because they were display models! 

A couple of years ago I started putting little hooks on the trim of the house so that I can put up our outside lights with my extendable pole. I only takes me about 1/2 hour to outline the house with the icicle lights.  One really cool thing is that our builder put outlets into the soffits so that I don't have to run extension cords all over the place & I can turn them all on with one switch.

I have so many ornaments that 2 years ago I bought a 7 foot tall pencil tree for our family room. (Another after Christmas sale...15.00.) Now I put my fancy ornaments on the big tree in the living room, but the colors of the garland change each year depending on what appeals to me at the moment. I have a ton of organza garland.  The pencil tree gets our theme ornaments. I collect the Fancy Feast cat ornaments & a friend always sends us the Star Trek ornaments so this tree is kind of...interesting. 

For the first time we have a mantel over the fireplace so I have been giving it the eyeball for a while, trying to decide what to do with it.  I also have a lighted garland that I swag along the stair railing with big poofy burgandy velvet bows.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 12:04:53 PM »
I don't decorate inside anymore, mainly because I have cats and also because I'm not home for Christmas, ever.  If one of those things changes, I might start decorating inside again.  I do display my Christmas cards when I get them.  I'm not too worried about them getting chewed by the cats.  Although the sparkles in their leavings can be quite amusing.   ::)

I do put up cone trellis with a string of LED multicolour lights on each side of my front door.  They are on a timer so they come on at sundown and stay on for 8 hours.  I also have an indoor switch so I can get them set up when it is warm and wait to flip the switch when it is time.  It is supposed to warm up on Sunday/Monday here so I'm going to try to get them set up then.

For me, I turn them on on the first Sunday of Advent and turn them off at Epiphany.  So this year, November 30th to January 6th.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
I usually decorate right after Thanksgiving.  I loooove Christmas decorations!  The first year we were in this house we bought a live, potted tree & after Christmas we planted it in our yard.  I decorated it outdoors for many years until it got too tall. (It is a Douglas Fir which is now over 30 feet tall!) The second year we had a cut tree.  I didn't know that my tree stand had a hairline crack in it until the carpet started squishing.  :o  After that, I gave up on the real trees.  I still love the smell, but don't like cutting down a tree just to stick it in the house  for a couple of weeks.  In an after Christmas clearance I got two gorgeous 7.5 foot artificial trees.  I had intended to alternate from year to year, but I ended up giving one to my Mom. They were a real score, though.  They had been close to 300.00 & I got them for 30.00 because they were display models! 

A couple of years ago I started putting little hooks on the trim of the house so that I can put up our outside lights with my extendable pole. I only takes me about 1/2 hour to outline the house with the icicle lights.  One really cool thing is that our builder put outlets into the soffits so that I don't have to run extension cords all over the place & I can turn them all on with one switch.

I have so many ornaments that 2 years ago I bought a 7 foot tall pencil tree for our family room. (Another after Christmas sale...15.00.) Now I put my fancy ornaments on the big tree in the living room, but the colors of the garland change each year depending on what appeals to me at the moment. I have a ton of organza garland.  The pencil tree gets our theme ornaments. I collect the Fancy Feast cat ornaments & a friend always sends us the Star Trek ornaments so this tree is kind of...interesting. 

For the first time we have a mantel over the fireplace so I have been giving it the eyeball for a while, trying to decide what to do with it.  I also have a lighted garland that I swag along the stair railing with big poofy burgandy velvet bows.

My mother has what she calls "The Food Tree"  She had ornaments from Hershey's and Campbells.  Then any misc. food related ornaments got added too.  The lights are light-up plastic candy canes