News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 22, 2017, 05:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3268753 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11220 on: June 07, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
A local paramedic has been charged with scrabble-ish battery, for exposing & fondling a young woman's "chest" when he thought she was unconscious. In front of a paramedic intern. "Sorry, man." he told the intern. " I had to."

The intern reported him. So did the woman who was not completely unconscious after all

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Lulubelle

« Reply #11221 on: June 07, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »
A local paramedic has been charged with scrabble-ish battery, for exposing & fondling a young woman's "chest" when he thought she was unconscious. In front of a paramedic intern. "Sorry, man." he told the intern. " I had to."

The intern reported him. So did the woman who was not completely unconscious after all
I saw this on the news.  Kuddos to the intern for reporting it. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11222 on: June 07, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
I'm not poor but I still need to watch my budget. I like paying cash so I don't need to remember to record it in my book or get a surprise at the end of the month. If my employer is embarrassed by me paying cash, they can "impress" the client by pulling out their "important" card and pay for me!

This is exactly why I prefer to pay cash. i can see where my money goes, plus i am not good about recording my purchases. I take x amount out, i buy gas, groceries etc. and I ahve x amount leftover.

Same here.  I'm much better with cash than credit or debit cards.  They seem to 'leak' money, whereas with cash I can see what I'm spending.

I'm the opposite - with credit or debit cards, there's a paper trail. With cash, it's just gone, and where is a mystery.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #11223 on: June 07, 2017, 08:14:08 PM »

Ew. Definite kudos to the intern - how long has that paramedic been doing that sort of thing and getting away with it?!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11224 on: June 08, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »

Ew. Definite kudos to the intern - how long has that paramedic been doing that sort of thing and getting away with it?!

Oh that is just so many kinds of Darwinism. So glad he got caught & reported!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Cleargleam

« Reply #11225 on: June 09, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »
Really, really hoping that co-irker's complete and utter failure to dress in anything resembling "business professional" attire will one day result in PD.

Bare-shoulder *halter top* for meeting with Government liaison.

<headdesk>

MissRose

« Reply #11226 on: June 10, 2017, 05:38:22 AM »
Really, really hoping that co-irker's complete and utter failure to dress in anything resembling "business professional" attire will one day result in PD.

<headdesk>

I can't picture that, then again perhaps I can as many women in my casual office wear tops that expose a bit too much cleavage

MissRose

« Reply #11227 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
A few people in a friend's office could be gunning for PD.  They have been asked to do overflow work from time to time when they are caught up on their work, and many are complaining about it as most of the overflow work is inbound calls which most do not like to do.   The reason is they would much rather socialize and surf the net compared to doing some extra work on a periodic basis.

o_gal

« Reply #11228 on: Yesterday at 06:16:31 AM »

<headdesk>

I can't picture that, then again perhaps I can as many women in my casual office wear tops that expose a bit too much cleavage

I can, and I can sort of predict why it happened. There's a popular style of tops called cold shoulder tops. It's the one where just the shoulders are cut out (https://www.macys.com/shop/product/inc-international-concepts-cold-shoulder-top-only-at-macys?ID=4563054&CategoryID=71879#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D759%26ruleId%3D65|AS%26slotId%3D1). I can see someone who doesn't know any better wearing this style, or if lots of women are wearing that style, taking it farther to the actual halter top style.

And now all the ads on web pages that I browse to will be for cold shouldered tops.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11229 on: Yesterday at 07:38:01 PM »
http://www.gulfcoastnewstoday.com/stories/spanish-fort-high-ap-reading-list-pulled-after-concerns-from-residents,50812

TL;DR - a public high school civics teacher made a summer reading list for his students made up entirely of ultra-partisan books. A few cited in the article:

Some of the titles of the books included “Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama’s Attacks on Our Borders, Economy and Security,” “Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto,” “48 Liberal Lies About American History,” “Guilty: Liberal ‘Victims’ and Their Assault on America,” “Liberalism is a Mental Disorder,” and “The Land of Fair Play: American Civics from a Christian Perspective,” to name a few.

None of these have anything to do with the AP Government/Economics curriculum, and once the list started spreading around social media the school yanked the list and said there's no summer reading for that class. I saw quoted elsewhere (not in this article) that the teacher initially defended the list, saying Kids These Days are taught all sorts of baloney from "the liberal agenda" and he was just doing his part to provide balance. Even if that's truly what he believes, there are better ways to do it  :-\

ETA: not really able to scrub the politics out of this one, so if y'all comment on it please focus on the PD and not the content of the reading list, okay? I love this thread and don't want it to go away  :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:40:22 PM by Slartibartfast »

Chipmunky

« Reply #11230 on: Today at 10:23:41 AM »
I mentioned some months ago that my parent's condo association had some drama going on and a case for PD being committed by V, the Property Manager, R, the President of the Association Board, and L, the Treasurer of the Board/buddy of R.

To recap- V had gotten a guy to do work on the elevators and bring them up to code. Guy was paid 100k, and walked off the job. Board and residents find V never got the Guy to sign a contract. Residents and Association end up paying triple the cost to have the elevators brought up to code, and additional brouhaha ensues when it comes out that V, despite NOT being licensed as an electrician, had done some of the electrical work on the elevators and bungled it. 

Other issues to date have included
- V letting his contractor license lapse, despite having people working on the property under his license and supervision
- V not properly vetting and conducting background checks on employees doing maintenance around the complex (important later)
- V enforcing rules against some property owners and not others
- V engaging in contractual arrangements for condo services that appear to give him ample opportunity to "skim" off the top of the contract
-R and L (both, by the way, are attorneys by profession, and should totally know better) allowing certain members of the board/residential community to post certain unauthorized regulations that were very racially discriminatory
- L failing to produce copies of the treasury records on request of residents (as required by association rules)
- R sending emails to the association from his work email address (and thus implying that he provides legal advice to the board and residents)
- L and R engaging in verbally aggressive and even intimidating behavior with some residents
-L and R campaigning for "yes men" to be on the Board who will approve anything they (and V) put forward. Others who do not agree (such as my mother) are harassed and pushed off the Board

L and R are the reason why V has not yet been fired.  But things are about to get very uncomfortable for all of them.

My folks are both hard of hearing (mother has zero hearing in the left ear, father has maybe 40% hearing in each ear). Their bedroom is also on the far end of the condo from their front door. That door is right across from the door to their garage, where they keep a large, standing, combination locked safe. The combination to the lock is hidden in a secret compartment of an antique desk in the house- but the construction of the desk is such that if an older person (such as R or L) grew up around a similar secretary desk from the 1940s, they would know that any "decorative" knobs could be tugged and likely hide a secret compartment. (this background is important).

My folks had a substantial amount of cash in the safe. It was the "end of the world" emergency fund. Other things are also in that safe (family jewelry, certain records, a few firearms).  My folks opened the safe in April, to discover all of the cash was absolutely gone.  They tore the house apart, just in case one of them had moved it and forgot to mention it, but nope, all the cash is GONE. Interestingly, everything else (that is potentially identifiable and trackable) was left behind.

A police report was filed, and the investigators came out, examined everything, and determined it had to be an inside job- someone had to have a key to open the garage, and someone had used the combination to open the safe.  Fingerprints were not found (other than ones normally expected on the safe, such as my parents', as well as mine as they'd had me practice how to open the darn safe last fall before my father had a medical procedure), but my father has an open box of latex gloves leftover from his medical practice just sitting on the shelf nearby for when he's doing something messy in the garage.  There were no marks to indicate the door was forced or the combination lock was drilled. Given my folks' bedroom and their hearing problems, it's completely possible someone came in the middle of the night (or even during the day if my folks were out or the tv was on loud enough) and got in there without them hearing it.

V and certain members of the board, including R and L, have master keys to the condos. V has also been known to give his key to the non vetted employees to go into a condo to take care of an issue (such as fixing a plumbing problem for an elderly widow) instead of going with them because he's too busy/lazy. (ETA: a simple check on some of the individuals indicate prior convictions for unsavory activities. No physical violence cases, but theft and illegal drugs, DUIs, and failures to appear for court for these activities. All public records, all obtainable via a people search website for a fifteen dollar fee).

V and R were notified of the theft, but have not asked any questions, not even as to why they haven't been interviewed/contacted by the police as to who works around the property, or what was taken. R contacted my folks requesting they not tell everyone what happened- that did not go over well for R.  L, interestingly, has been flitting in and out of town going on vacations all over the place, never staying in the condos for more than 3 nights.

My folks are meeting with legal counsel to discuss their options civilly. They've also discovered that V recently got his contractor license renewed (as in, it happened in the past 3 weeks), and that the Board (aka, R, L, and V) unanimously voted to up the association's liability insurance to $5 million.

Regardless of who took the money, my folks think these three clowns are expecting a lawsuit and hoping for a small settlement. What they don't know is that any settlement my parents take would include damages, being bought out of their condo at a fair market price, V's firing as property manager, R and Ls' permanent resignations from the Board, and notice provided to the entire community of what really happened rather than "that couple is leaving". One way or another, there will be some PD at the end of this.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:27:11 AM by Chipmunky »

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #11231 on: Today at 11:14:02 AM »
Chipmunky, I am flabbergasted at these people!

I hope your parents are restored, and this is one of the many reasons I will not live in a place where someone has legal access to my home and possessions.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chez Miriam

« Reply #11232 on: Today at 03:31:53 PM »
Chipmunky, I am flabbergasted at these people!

I hope your parents are restored, and this is one of the many reasons I will not live in a place where someone has legal access to my home and possessions.

POD'ing the bolded.

We were lucky enough to have porters who had keys to our flat who would let anyone in [that we told them to], and never had any problems; I would (and did) trust all of those chaps with any of our possessions, but I think ladyknight1 has the right idea. :-\
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich