Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1218396 times)

Redsoil

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6435 on: Yesterday at 06:23:47 AM »
Good luck Lindee!  I was on the Medicare site yesterday, trying to sort out the wodge of (mis) information a patient had been given.  I'm used to dealing with them, and even I get frustrated by the amount of red tape and circular thinking!  Persist, and take a print-out of the relevant info with you if possible, that  says you CAN do it at their offices.  (Which they'll probably ignore.)

I'm stunned at the bad info places like this give out, especially to vulnerable people who have difficulty navigating the system.  I do what I can to assist patients, but some of them really don't have a chance the way Medicare is set up.  No help from them for our older citizens and those in especial need!  Good luck dealing with Centrelink - they all seem to be much worse since the services basically amalgamated.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6436 on: Yesterday at 06:27:41 AM »
Good luck! That sounds like a massive headache in the works!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mergatroyd

« Reply #6437 on: Yesterday at 02:38:41 PM »
Speaking of headaches, I had to ship something today through Canada Post.

It's all going good, no lineup behind me, shilling person asks about insurance, do I want it? It's free up to 100$. So sure, let's go for that. Prints everything up, filling out the customs form.. They mark 100$ on the value.

Now, if you send a gift to another country, with a value marked over 20$ or whatever the country's customs has deemed their limit to be, you run the risk of the recipient having to pay taxes and duties on the parcel.
So I point out that the value of the gift is actually 20.00$ and I want it marked as such. I have shipped a lot of things, and this is first time this has happened. Insurance is usually UP TO 100$ and only over that do you have to specify exact replacement costs. OK, fine, just put insurance cost of 20$ then, even though the materials to replace the hand made item cost way more than the actual monetary value of said item.
There is no back button, so they had to void the whole thing (hadn't paid yet) and start over, and of course then five people all came at once and one was REALLY impatient, so I ended up paying for the fastest option of shipping because the person got flustered and didn't key it down to the next option before going through again... I paid it and left, after apologising for the confusion. I don't think I did anything wrong- they changed the system and didn't make that clear, but I can see how it was my misunderstanding.. The part where I ended up paying an extra ten dollars though? That's classic CP.

No other option, still have to use them. But headache.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6438 on: Yesterday at 03:40:13 PM »
Why did you accept the wrong service? Yes, there were other people in line but you have every right to get the service and information you need. The person keyed it wrong and it isn't right that you pay for that. And you also had the right to understand about insurance and declared value. You weren't dawdling or wasting people's time chatting or any of that. Sometimes, people have legitimate business that takes longer and that is fine.

And I say this as someone who waited 30 minutes in the Post Office because someone was doing a complicated transaction. Was I happy? No! Do I think it was the person's fault or criticize them for it? No!

Mergatroyd

« Reply #6439 on: Yesterday at 03:56:05 PM »
Why did you accept the wrong service? Yes, there were other people in line but you have every right to get the service and information you need. The person keyed it wrong and it isn't right that you pay for that. And you also had the right to understand about insurance and declared value. You weren't dawdling or wasting people's time chatting or any of that. Sometimes, people have legitimate business that takes longer and that is fine.

And I say this as someone who waited 30 minutes in the Post Office because someone was doing a complicated transaction. Was I happy? No! Do I think it was the person's fault or criticize them for it? No!

They would have had to void and redo the whole thing again, and frankly it was worth the ten bucks by that point to just be able to leave. I had a hard enough time correcting them the first time, obviously it's something I need to work on. :(

Kiwipinball

« Reply #6440 on: Yesterday at 04:35:38 PM »

They would have had to void and redo the whole thing again, and frankly it was worth the ten bucks by that point to just be able to leave. I had a hard enough time correcting them the first time, obviously it's something I need to work on. :(

If it was worth it to you personally to just get out of there (I think we've all been there), that's great.  If you were feeling awkward about people being behind you, you would have been fine making the employee correct their work.  I would think you were a bit rude if you spent a long time dithering about what kind of stamps you wanted (30 seconds to look at them and pick, great.  Several minutes of back and forth would drive me up the wall, assuming they didn't step out of line to decide).  Sometimes easier said than done, especially if the people behind you are being visibly impatient.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6441 on: Yesterday at 09:38:32 PM »
Not like my ILs had a choice . . . LocalBank was bought out by MediumBank which was then bought out by BigBank.  ILs own several dozen rental properties, with various mortgage arrangements on each, but a bunch of those mortgages are now held by BigBank.  Who are, in my opinion, criminally incompetent.

In the last few months, they have:

1) charged ILs a $2000 penalty for not being current on their insurance for a few specific houses.  ILs don't have insurance through BigBank; they use a different company instead.  BigBank's solution was "send in the money anyway to avoid more penalties and we'll sort it out later."

2) attempted to charge ILs several hunderd dollars a month in escrow, despite ILs not using their escrow service and just paying taxes themselves.

3) charging ANOTHER $2000 for not having insurance at all - on the houses they're already charging them $2000 for being "behind" on insurance for.

4) tacking on two completely unrelated houses to the ILs mortgage bill.  ILs do not own these houses, have no idea who owns these houses, and don't even know where the houses ARE - or if they're in our state!  Two months in and BigBank has yet to fix this, despite MIL being in the phone with them for about an hour a day for one problem or another.  Since these mystery mortgages are rolled in with some legitimate ones on one bill, though, refusing to pay could be very bad.

The worst part is, nobody at BigBank seems to even be able to recognize that the problems exist, much less fix them.  MIL has gotten four different answers when she asked which houses had the insurance problems (they're also in a set of mortgages bundled as a group) - one person said an address ILs have mortgaged individually, another said a completely different address which ILs do own but was never covered by BigBank in the first place, a third said she'd have to ask her supervisor (and never called back), and the fourth flat-out said their software doesn't tell them that.  BigBank has also lost every document MIL sent them, multiple times, to the point she now has her lawyer mail things with delivery confirmation so they won't ignore the legal envelopes.

MIL finally reported them to the Better Business Bureau.  She got a call back the next day (yesterday) from someone at BigBank to actually chew her out for it - how dare she report them?  She could have just called!  (Oh, like she's been doing every blessed day all month?)  Incidentally, that guy was unable to figure out what the problems were, either - according to his computer, BigBank was right and ILs owe back insurance/escrow/mystery mortgage payments, end of story  :-\

I don't know how this is going to end, but my money is on my MIL.  She may drive me nuts sometimes by not taking a hint, but that works in her favor for things like this . . .

Small update on this, in case anyone is interested . . .

MIL has been going back and forth with the guy at BigBank who chewed her out.  He said they needed more paperwork, she had her insurance company send him EVERYTHING (indexed and labeled), and he called MIL to complain that he didn't have time to read everything, couldn't they just re-send him X, Y, and Z?  MIL is turning that over to the insurance company again (the secretary knows her very well by now, after all these years as a major customer, and has no problem telling BigBank guy exactly where he can stick his lazy requests).

The extra-fun part: MIL just got a letter yesterday confirming that ABC property, owned by MIL and FIL, was paid off by John Finkelstein and is being taken off the lien.  MIL and FIL don't know a John Finkelstein, have never worked with a John Finkelstein, and had no idea what was going on.  MIL ended up talking to someone else - actually the head honcho of a smaller, regional bank, who knows MIL well because they've held mortgages there for years too - and this head honcho said yes, he DOES know John Finkelstein!  Apparently Mr. Finkelstein was a retired lawyer living in NearbyCity who did indeed own several rental properties (just like MIL and FIL) and had just sold off the lot recently because he wanted to get out of the rental business.  It stands to reason that he probably had some loans through BigBank and paid those off as well, and BigBank somehow decided to release the lien on my ILs property instead (essentially marking it as paid off).

Obviously BigBank has terrible record-keeping.  I told MIL that she may need to get a lawyer involved, and possibly some regulatory agency - hard to tell whether the mistakes are because someone is being lazy, inept, or actively trying to defraud the company  :-\