News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 06, 2015, 11:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NY - here i come! (need help regarding best affordable neighborhoods)  (Read 953 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
So - after many years of looking into this, trying to get a job *there* while i'm still *here* i decided to just move and hope to find a job when i get there. It's not going to be easy, but i have to do this. I keep telling myself that my grandparents and great grandparents made a much more difficult move from Poland/Ukraine to USA way back when with much much less (less money, less resources, less education) and they did OK so I should be OK too.

Anyway, assuming that I will find a job in Manhattan, what would be the best neighborhoods for me to live in? I am looking for:
*safe (safe enough for a middle aged woman to live alone - DS may or may not move with me)
*close to subway or train (trains are nicer but subway is cheaper  ;))
*up to one hour commute (some walking is fine).
*convenient for shopping (eating out is less important to me)

I would like a one or two bedroom - depending on if DS moves with me. at 54, i think i'm past the age of studio apartment and roommates, though if i had to choose one or the other i'd rather take a smaller place/studio than find a roommate.

I am thinking of brooklyn/queens (rego park, sunnyside, prospect heights, greenpoint  etc), could look at washington heights or other areas of northern manhattan, but need to know which would be the best option for me in terms of vicinity, safety, price. I could look at NJ suburbs or LI but what i've seen so far is expensive and the commute (train) would be more expensive as well.

Any ideas would be helpful. my budget is very very low so i'm hoping not to spend more than 1500-2000 on housing.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Promise

Re: NY - here i come! (need help regarding best affordable neighborhoods)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:53:12 AM »
My son lives in Brooklyn. I've visited and have ridden the subways by myself. Even though it's a long hour ride to get to manhattan, I liked the Bay Ridge area. It's diverse and has a great neighborhood feel.He used to live at the edge of Williamsburg and enjoyed it there too.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »
I don't live there, but from what I have been reading, The Bronx is the latest up and coming area. It seems like it would be a great place to live, with its proximity to Manhattan. Like I said, no expert here, but if I were contemplating a NYC relocation, that is definitely one of the first places I would check into.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:59:44 PM »
thanks guys. I'm on it

APpreciate any other tips

Kaypeep

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 01:10:31 PM »
I'm from the Bronx and can say it gets a bad rap from anyone who doesn't really know it, but I can't recommend it enough if you want safe, affordable and easy commute to Manhattan.  There's the subway and also express bus service and local taxi service for nighttime if you don't like taking the train at night.  Pelham Bay is a great neighborhood and has everything you are looking for.  It's not "hip" like Brooklyn or Queens but it's affordable and if you have a car, so convenient to travel north or south.  With a car I'm 20 minutes from NJ, Manhattan, Connecticut, Long Island which is great for weekend travel options, sightseeing, shopping variety.  Here's a recent feature from the NYTimes about the neighborhood.  http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/realestate/pelham-bay-the-bronx-a-blend-of-urban-and-suburban.html?_r=0

LadyL

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
Jersey City is as close to Manhattan as most of the boroughs and connected via the PATH train. You'd be able to find a 1 bedroom in your price range. PM me if you want more information.

csmithy

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
I live in Bay Ridge (3 yrs), love it, and think the commute is worth it. It's safe, with tons of restaurants and amenities including a great pedestrian walkway along the water. You can find housing in your price range here for sure. (Oh! We also have several nice large grocery stores and small ones sprinkled everywhere. And a large department store and other shops on 86 street.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:47:07 PM by csmithy »

Betelnut

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 08:41:01 PM »
I lived in Astoria Queens as a single woman.  Never felt unsafe and I actually could afford a one-bedroom apartment.  Granted, this is more than 10 years ago so I'm sure it is more expensive now.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
I lived as a single woman in Sunnyside, Queens (the 7 train) and in Washington Heights, Manhattan (A train at 190th street). I felt very comfortable in both places.

When we left NY in 2009, the "top of the hill" at Washington Heights (181st Street - 192nd Street, from Broadway west to the river) was getting quite expensive. The bottom of the hill - Broadway stretching east and north aka "Dyckman Valley" into Inwood was still affordable, which means it had a mix of desirable and less-desirable areas. It's worth a look.

www.ellenseltz.com

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
thanks for the additional info.

I'm fine with "non trendy" neighborhoods, as long as they're safe and nice

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Although I live in a different area of Brooklyn, I recommend Bay Ridge.  There's plenty of ethnic diversity which results in great food shopping and restaurants.  86th St is good for shopping in general and the strip park along the harbor has spectacular views. 

I'd like to recommend my own neighborhood but real estate prices are absolutely insane.  It was just on the bounce back when we bought our co-op in 1982.  Restaurants and food shop prices are still good but we could never afford to move here today. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 01:57:35 PM »
Although I live in a different area of Brooklyn, I recommend Bay Ridge.  There's plenty of ethnic diversity which results in great food shopping and restaurants.  86th St is good for shopping in general and the strip park along the harbor has spectacular views. 

I'd like to recommend my own neighborhood but real estate prices are absolutely insane.  It was just on the bounce back when we bought our co-op in 1982.  Restaurants and food shop prices are still good but we could never afford to move here today.
thanks, i'm looking. (google-mapped 86th street and found the house i'm going to buy when i can afford it :) )

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
My last apartment in NYC was in Bay Ridge, as well.  I lived alone, single woman, and always felt very safe.  Previously I had lived in Park Slope, and Forest Hills (Queens).  In Forest Hills my friend and I shared a two-bedroom townhouse-style condo, on a very quiet street, and I was able to park my car right in front of my home on the street.  However, the particular part of Forest Hills I lived in was purely residential - very few restaurants and such.  Park Slope had much more to do/eat/see, but I would imagine it is *really* expensive by now - my friend, my brother, and I shared a three-BR apartment in a row home that was $1950/month in 1998.  My apartment in Bay Ridge was only a studio but it was a really nice one and the area had plenty of restaurants, shops, etc.  Good luck!