News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 19, 2015, 05:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phrases/sayings you hate  (Read 103303 times)

Mustard

Re: Phrases/sayings you hate
« Reply #1725 on: April 13, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
I have never heard a woman call her friends 'girlfriends'!  I think we on this side of the Atlantic would just call them 'the girls'.

lmyrs

« Reply #1726 on: April 13, 2015, 01:40:38 PM »
Prolly.

Prolly is not a word. It's supposed to be "probably". It's horrible to hear it spoken and it's worse to see it written. It drives me bonkers.

Also:
"he borrowed me his car"
"Bio Break" when meaning a break in a meeting to go to the bathroom. Just say "break". You don't have to go to the bathroom.
Using the word "utilized" or "utilize" when you mean "use". I don't know why people do that unless it's just to use a bigger word to make them seem smarter? I heavily edit it out of everything that comes my way.

daen

« Reply #1727 on: April 13, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »
<snip>
"Bio Break" when meaning a break in a meeting to go to the bathroom. Just say "break". You don't have to go to the bathroom.

I agree that there's no need to single out one possible use for the break. The only reason I can see for something like this is to try to limit the number of people leaving (no leaving to check for messages or get coffee or whatever), but in that case, I think it would make more sense to state a short time limit and emphasize re-starting promptly.

Slightly related - some time ago, I decided to stop saying I was going on a bathroom break - instead, I tell whoever needs to take over the desk for me that "I need to step into the back for a minute." It could be a bathroom break, or it could be a trip to the storage room to grab more paper for the photocopier. It feels more professional, my co-workers don't need to know exactly where I'm headed, and neither does any of the public who might overhear.

LadyStormwing

« Reply #1728 on: April 13, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »
"It is what it is."
(Gee, thanks for those extremely enlightening words of wisdom!  ::))

I hate, hate, hate, HATE this one. I loathe it with the utmost passion of my being. My best friend AND my mother know this, and therefore use it at every opportunity. I'm more of a "Some things I cannot change, but 'til I try, I'll never know."

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #1729 on: April 14, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
Not strictly a phrase or saying, but I've noticed a big upsurge in people not knowing the difference between 'bring' and 'take'. I have to grit my teeth and bear it, but it niggles.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1730 on: April 14, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »
"It is what it is."
(Gee, thanks for those extremely enlightening words of wisdom!  ::))

I hate, hate, hate, HATE this one. I loathe it with the utmost passion of my being. My best friend AND my mother know this, and therefore use it at every opportunity. I'm more of a "Some things I cannot change, but 'til I try, I'll never know."

I got pretty sick of people saying, "That's the way the cookie crumbles," and things like that. At least this isn't trying to be cute about it! And it is still oh  so true. It just means that we can't change things so we might as well try to get used to it. I kind of need to be reminded of that sometimes.

A new one is "vlog". It makes all the sense in the world if we are accustomed to the word "blog", so I guess I'd better get over that. I just don't like the sound of it. Maybe it will grow on me.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #1731 on: April 14, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »
I've noticed what looks like people mixing up the words "troll" and "trawl" when referring to The Internet.  When you're
"trolling" the Internet, you're acting like a troll (posting contentious comments, etc.)   When you're "trawling" the Internet you're simply looking up information.  Trawl as in how a boat "trawls" for fish. 

Don't get me started on "your" and "you're" or "breath" and "breathe."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1732 on: April 14, 2015, 04:01:21 PM »
I've noticed what looks like people mixing up the words "troll" and "trawl" when referring to The Internet.  When you're
"trolling" the Internet, you're acting like a troll (posting contentious comments, etc.)   When you're "trawling" the Internet you're simply looking up information.  Trawl as in how a boat "trawls" for fish. 

Or "lose" vs "loose" , "discreet" vs "discrete," and any number of others.

Two phrases that annoy me are "And so it goes" and "That's how we roll."

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1733 on: April 14, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »
One thing that has irritated me ever since I was a little kid is when women refer to their female friends as "girlfriends."  As in, "My girlfriend and I went out last night...."  You never hear a man refer to his buddy as his "boyfriend". 

It's especially irritating now that g-a-y lifestyles are becoming more accepted - it could mean actual girlfriend, YKWIM?

I'm actually OK with "girlfriend." I don't mind when a female friend calls me her girlfriend, or Bagman calls me his girlfriend. But the older I get (I'm 56, he's 66), the less comfortable I am referring to him as my "boyfriend." I don't know why my brain has this double standard, but it does. "Boyfriend" just sounds very "high school" to me in a way that "girlfriend" doesn't. I've taken to referring to him as my "significant other" on official documents, my "partner" in formal conversation and my "sweetie" in informal conversation.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

metallicafan

« Reply #1734 on: April 15, 2015, 11:47:15 AM »
I can't stand when a person will post a comment on either Facebook,  or an article and that person isn't agreeing with the masses, then others trot out the phrases Haters gonna hate and Your just jealous.  No, it doesn't mean that they are a hater or jealous, they are expressing a different opinion or belief.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #1735 on: April 15, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
I used to hate it when I was a kid and my mom said "Don't you ever pull a stunt like that again."  Stunt.  To me that's what Evel Knieval does.   I made an error in judgement, not a jump through a flaming hoop. 

crella

« Reply #1736 on: April 15, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »

Or "lose" vs "loose" , "discreet" vs "discrete," and any number of others.

Two phrases that annoy me are "And so it goes" and "That's how we roll."

or 'bare' and 'bear', which I see a lot of lately, sometimes with unintended funny results.

Allyson

« Reply #1737 on: April 15, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »
I don't always hate this one, but lately "heartbreaking" is starting to annoy me for its' overuse.