News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 28, 2016, 12:22:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 537151 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2820 on: August 24, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »
I was lying on my stomach last night reading in bed when I felt a cat jump onto my bed. Um, I have one cat and at that exact moment I was busy rubbing her tummy while she was curled up next to me purring.
Nothing to see here.

GardenGal

« Reply #2821 on: August 24, 2016, 05:25:19 PM »
A friend of mine's husband believe their new house is haunted, he commented onn the light flickering in the living room and that  when he was laying on the sofa about to take a nap, he started to feel a heavy pressure on his chest.
  I wonder if perhaps your friend's husband wants to read up about the symptoms of sleep paralysis - that heavy feeling on the chest could be due to that.  http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis#1

Sneezy

« Reply #2822 on: August 24, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »
iridaceae, I used to feel a cat jumping on the bed when the other cats were either already there or in another part of tbe apartment. I just figured it was a ghost cat, a really heavy ghost cat who jumped with a thud. It suddenly stopped a few years back. I was walking home from work one day and saw a tiny kitten near the road. Being a dutiful cat servant, I picked the thing up and took her to the vet, intending to find a home for her. No luck.

One day, after she was large enough to be around the other cats, I took a nap and felt the familiar ghost thud.

It was the kitten.

I don't know if she was prehaunting me or what, but I haven't felt the thud since she came to thud in the flesh.

sylviatexas

« Reply #2823 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:39 AM »
Sneezy, your story is only the second time I've heard of something like this.

Many years ago, I worked with a young woman who looked like Barbie & had a mind like a steel trap!
She was generally aloof, but one day she shared this with "us girls":

She had been brought up by...grandparents?...some family members, who refused to let her have a pet.

During her teens, she started dreaming of a small black dog, something like a Scottie, & she *knew* that that was her dog.

Years went by, she grew up, got her own apartment, never got around to looking for a pet.

On the way to work one rainy morning, she saw a small muddy white dog running scared along the freeway.

She stopped, opened the door...& the dog hopped  in, sat down, & "smiled" at her.

She drove to a nearby vet & left the dog to be cleaned up & cared for until she got off work.

She said her mind kind of "itched" that day, trying to figure out why the dog seemed so familiar.

When the vet tech brought out the now shampooed & brushed dog, she realized that this was the "black dog" in her dreams.

Laughing, she said, "Some people dream in photographs. Trust me to dream in negatives."

She & the dog spent nearly 16 years together.

sylviatexas

« Reply #2824 on: August 25, 2016, 09:03:15 AM »
Sneezy's post about the cat reminded me of the story about the dog, which reminds me about another story from the young woman who found the dog.

"Sandy" had been close to her grandmother, & she was devastated when the grandmother died.

Sandy's most prized possession was a locket her grandmother had left her.

When she lost it, she felt even lonelier.

The grandparents (or whatever relatives she lived with) were unsympathetic, & she even thought that they might have taken the necklace to "break" her of her attachment for the grandmother.

Like my experience with the ring, one day Sandy got up, got ready for school, glanced at her room to make sure all was in order, &...there was her locket, on the corner of the bedspread.

Bijou

« Reply #2825 on: August 26, 2016, 09:11:16 AM »
My DH told me he had another experience...

He was playing a video game. He heard me come in and say, "Hey hun"...only I wasn't home.  He said it was clearly my voice and he thought I'd left work early at first.
My husband used to work odd hours usually arriving home around 8 or 9 pm.  Many times I would be in the living room and would heard him come home, in through the kitchen door, hear the sounds of his being there (putting his things down, walking around the kitchen) and then there would be silence.  I would call to him, get no answer, go into the kitchen only to find it empty.  Later when he came home I would ask him if he'd be home earlier and maybe had to go back to work for some reason.  The answer was always, no.  It hasn't happened since he retired. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2826 on: Yesterday at 02:40:38 PM »
I've had that happen, too.  I could have sworn I heard Mr. Sirius' car pull into the driveway, but when I looked it wasn't there. 

I've also noticed that our smallest cat, Minnie, seems to know when he's coming home.  She'll sit on the bookcase or the piano, both of which are right inside the front door, and start meowing a few minutes before he actually arrives.  She's much more his buddy than mine, although there have been times I've come home to a three-cat reception committee.   

rose red

« Reply #2827 on: Yesterday at 06:30:46 PM »
Wow. Hearing people that aren't there seems more common than I thought. I remember the time hearing my brother came home. I heard the garage door open and close. The noise of taking of shoes, fridge opening, etc. Then I found out he wasn't home yet :o