News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 22, 2017, 03:01:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dilemma. Received 2 items ordered online . . . with a twist.  (Read 3355 times)

Onyx_TKD

Re: Dilemma. Received 2 items ordered online . . . with a twist.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »
^ I'm LOLing at me right now from your response. Thank you for your comments!

Maybe I do need to take a class on identity theft and all that.

I hope that a money order is safe?

I don't think I've ever used a money order, but from what I understand, it's prepaid and doesn't include your bank account info. So it ought to be a safer transaction on both ends--for the company, because they know it won't bounce (since you've already handed the money over to a third party), and for you, because the recipient never sees any of your account info.

I think a class on identity theft would probably be a good idea. A lot of this stuff can seem like a confusing mess at first, but someone who understands it can often break down the specific details you need to pay attention to and why in a way that makes it much easier to remember. E.g., thinking about whether a payment method involves you "pushing" the money out of your own account (secure--you're in control) or letting the recipient "pull" money out (insecure--they're in control), or what parts of a web address to check before you trust the site with your info.

julianna

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
It's been years since I've used a money order, but I seem to remember that back then, it was important to get a specific type of money order that could be used internationally (as opposed to a regular money order designed to be used in the U.S.).  It might be worth googling that (or ask your bank) just to be sure you send a money order the company can actually use.

bopper

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
I ordered a BB-8 (star wars rolly robot) one Xmas...ordered it in October/November (plenty of time).  When December rolled near, I noticed I never got it.  So I contacted the company. No problem! We'll send it out!  A week later...still no BB-8.  No problem! We'll send it out!  THen it was the day before Xmas Eve....I posted on their FB page and said I am going to have a very sad person because they are not getting their BB8...at that point a high level person took over and had a local store hand deliver one for free...but then a couple of weeks later we got the 3 more (one from each time I called). I contacted them about what to do and never heard back. SO now I have 5...wait, where did that last one come from? Well when we visited my stepmom on Xmas Eve...guess what gift she gave my DH?  A BB-8!!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »
^ I'm LOLing at me right now from your response. Thank you for your comments!

Maybe I do need to take a class on identity theft and all that.

I hope that a money order is safe?

I don't think I've ever used a money order, but from what I understand, it's prepaid and doesn't include your bank account info. So it ought to be a safer transaction on both ends--for the company, because they know it won't bounce (since you've already handed the money over to a third party), and for you, because the recipient never sees any of your account info.

I think a class on identity theft would probably be a good idea. A lot of this stuff can seem like a confusing mess at first, but someone who understands it can often break down the specific details you need to pay attention to and why in a way that makes it much easier to remember. E.g., thinking about whether a payment method involves you "pushing" the money out of your own account (secure--you're in control) or letting the recipient "pull" money out (insecure--they're in control), or what parts of a web address to check before you trust the site with your info.

Money order is fine, since you pay for it up front, and then just send it off to whoever. So no reason or way for them to scam you, as all you did was sent them payment. Your part is done; you handed over the money when you purchased the money order...