News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 24, 2015, 03:43:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?  (Read 67914 times)

Emmy

Re: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?
« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2015, 11:53:28 PM »
A group of friends and I were going to a huge festival about 2 hours away from where I lived.

My friend tried to voluntold me to pick her up, drive to the festival, and drive her home after. She didn't see the issue at all when I pointed out that she lived in the total opposite direction from the festival (for me) and picking her up would add 90 minutes of driving EACH WAY for me.

"But then you won't have to drive to the festival all by yourself!"

Sure, but I WILL have to drive the extra 3 hours to pick you up and then drive back to my house after I drop you off.

"But you won't be lonely driving to the festival! This is so perfect!"

Nope. Drive your self.

I was at a friend's house and we were going to meet a group of old college friends about an hour away.  One person in the group lived about 30 minutes out of the way and wanted us to come pick him up.  I told him he could meet us at friend's house and we would give him a ride.  Nope, he wanted us to pick him up.  We didn't and he never did come.  Feels good to have a backbone.  ;D

Also taking somebody else somewhere also may limit me.  I can stay out late or go home early without worrying about another person's schedule. 

Like many of you, I like being by myself in a car.  Talking to DH and a close friend is wonderful too, but I would dread a long car ride with an acquaintance - making small talk and not being able to fully relax is tiring. 

Benni

Re: What "Amazing Opportunities" (to be used) have you passed up?
« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:36 AM »
I was at a friend's house and we were going to meet a group of old college friends about an hour away.  One person in the group lived about 30 minutes out of the way and wanted us to come pick him up.  I told him he could meet us at friend's house and we would give him a ride.  Nope, he wanted us to pick him up.  We didn't and he never did come.  Feels good to have a backbone.  ;D

Also taking somebody else somewhere also may limit me.  I can stay out late or go home early without worrying about another person's schedule. 

Like many of you, I like being by myself in a car.  Talking to DH and a close friend is wonderful too, but I would dread a long car ride with an acquaintance - making small talk and not being able to fully relax is tiring. 

For me the only thing worse than driving, is driving someone that I feel I have to entertain while I drive.  I hate to drive, it is such a waste of time for me.  Time I could spend knitting and listening to good music or a book.  Also being responsible for another adult does not appeal to me.  I tolerate it with my family because I love them, I barely tolerate it with one or two very close friends.  Other than that no, I will not be responsible for anyone else's transportation needs.

I do not often have that shiny spine, although I am learning, but with driving my spine is blindingly shiny.