News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 27, 2015, 10:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 89654 times)

Zerbinetta

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #960 on: July 22, 2015, 01:00:00 AM »
"Some people object to the use of plural pronouns in this type of situation on the grounds that itís ungrammatical. In fact, the use of plural pronouns to refer back to a singular subject isnít new: it represents a revival of a practice dating from the 16th century. Itís increasingly common in current English and is now widely accepted both in speech and in writing."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/he-or-she-versus-they
Oh, yes, language evolves continually. The use of a plural pronoun for a singular subject is indeed becoming accepted in the grammar world, and I in turn accept that fact. That doesn't mean it won't grate on my nerves every time I hear it for the rest of my life.   :)

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #961 on: July 22, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »
I like "they" to refer to a "Schrodinger's gender" person, because we're really talking about two people... a hypothetical man and a hypothetical woman. We're just melding them into the single, unigendered mystery person missing a pronoun.

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #962 on: July 25, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
I think it was in "Word on the Street" (assigned reading for one of my linguistics courses, best assigned reading ever) that talked about this.  The book talked about the history of attempts to create a singular non-gender-specific pronoun in English (E, etc.), and then said that, well, basically, we have one.  Grammarians simply haven't come to accept it, but informal English largely has, and it will most likely eventually be the standard for use in the singular, too.  After all, it happened for "you," which used to be plural only (thou was singular).
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 4 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14