News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 07:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Job Hunting and Hiring Hell - Share your stories  (Read 9339 times)

Tactical Grace

Re: Job Hunting and Hiring Hell - Share your stories
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »
I have a few more:

Potential employees:

I'm not sure if I posted about this before but in the past six or so months my company has had two people who applied for a position online just show up at the office uninvited and unannounced. It was so weird and uncomfortable for the Office Manager and the Hiring Manager because they had to politely tell them to leave in a professional way. Both were recent college grads who were well-dressed, and didn't seem to grasp that it is not appropriate to show up at a company and expect an impromptu meeting.

Ah, the "gumption" job hunting tactic. This was widely touted a few decades ago--Show them you are really serious! Get out there and go to the company and ask for the job!

These days, parents that remember this from their job hunting days are telling their kids to do this.

We responded to a cold-emailed resume by telling him we had no jobs available. He replied that he wanted to come to meet with us anyway. We said no. He phoned and was quite insistent about dropping by our office. We said no again.

A couple of days later, we got a call from a very confused woman at a bank who had an upset young man standing in front of her demanding that she call us so we could explain why he couldn't find our office.

Well, that's because our public address is our mail drop which is in the same strip mall as the bank. The answer is still no.

This tactic did achieve one goal, though: I still remember his name several years later.

Yeah, and I remember the name Pripyat, but I wouldn't book a vacation there.

The idea that "there is no such thing as bad publicity" was thought up by someone with a poor memory for details.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »
I once had somebody show up at my branch, resume and cover letter in hand, wanting to speak to branch manager (me) about possible job openings. 

This was the DMV.  This was Civil Service.  Applicant looked at me blankly.  Civil Service.  Where you take an exam.  Or, submit your transcript and resume to the Civil Service Commission in the state capitol (high level positions only).  Applicant is looking at me as if I am speaking Hindi-Urdu.  I finally pull up our Civil Service page, and say, "This is how you apply." 

Applicant flaps their resume at me.  No.  I have no hiring authority and I will not forward that in for you.  The process is spelled out in detail here, and it actually is quite easy to apply. 
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

eltf177

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:37 PM »
I once had somebody show up at my branch, resume and cover letter in hand, wanting to speak to branch manager (me) about possible job openings.

Something similar (and quite interesting) over on Customerssuck: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=67615

becktheriddler

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »
I once had to interview someone for an assistant manager position. One applicant had previously worked with one of my coworkers, and she said "She really reorganized the stockroom".

During the interview I asked the applicant different questions regarding management: have you ever had to coach/counsel employees, how did she handle it, etc. Her response "I really reorganized the stockroom". When I asked how she handled conflict, either with employees or customers, her response "I really reorganized the stockroom". It was pretty much her response to everything.

I went with another applicant (someone I had actually approached about applying) and later found out I dodged a huge bullet. The other applicant was later terminated for cause.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

gramma dishes

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
I once had to interview someone for an assistant manager position. One applicant had previously worked with one of my coworkers, and she said "She really reorganized the stockroom".
I went with another applicant (someone I had actually approached about applying) and later found out I dodged a huge bullet. The other applicant was later terminated for cause.

The words "She really reorganized the stockroom" could be interpreted as:

"She did an amazing job of reorganizing the stock room, making everything more accessible and keeping similar things together so they could be more easily found.  If three items were needed to complete a procedure, those three items would be found together in the chronological order they were needed.  We were ALL amazed at how much more efficient everything was after she did her magic there." 

-or-

"She never put anything where it was expected to be, so no one could find anything ever.  Not only that, but she constantly stole stuff from the stockroom and cost the company a bundle replacing it."

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »
Or door #3: "She spent her entire time hiding in the stockroom instead of performing her actual job duties."
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kiwipinball

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »
Or door #3: "She spent her entire time hiding in the stockroom instead of performing her actual job duties."

I briefly had a coworker like that. It would have annoyed me more, but we worked on commission. So one less person on the floor wasn't a bad thing.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
I once had a staff person who I was encouraging to apply for managerial positions.  And one of the things she did was, she re-organized the office!  She asked for my permission first, she checked in regularly throughout the process to make sure her organization made sense, and she never neglected her regular duties.

It was a perfect example of how a person can display managerial capabilities.  (And her interview showed many examples of her abilities, not just that).

Another interviewing legend at the DMV.  The panel was interviewing a supermarket cashier, who actually seemed to have good skills and the interview was going very smoothly.  Then the question: "Describe a difficult customer and how you handled him or her."

The applicant talked about the customer at the supermarket who kept rearranging her items on the belt, to the point she was pulling out items that had already been scanned and placing them where they would be scanned again because she wanted them organized differently than where she had placed them the first time.  The cashier is struggling not to rescan numerous items, trying to keep track of what was already done.  "And so I told her several times that she had to stop because I didn't want to overcharge her. but she kept doing it.  I finally shouted, 'What The F#$@, lady!'  That made her stop!"

There was dead silence in the interview room.  The interview panel was staring at her in horror.  In what universe is shouting an obscenity at a customer a good example of customer service skills?  Needless to say, she did not get the job, but the panel member who told me the story said that years later, whenever one panel member ran into another one, they would greet each other with that killer phrase.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

PennyandPleased

« Reply #83 on: Today at 11:56:11 AM »
An old coworker told me this story that happened to her: 

The summer between Jr. and Sr. year of college, she got hired as a paid intern at a small marketing company. Her first day she arrived to the office and the secretary for waiting for her with paper work, etc. After meeting with everyone, they sent her off to her new boss.

Long story short, for 2 weeks the new boss completely ignored her, refused to give her tasks, ignored her when she talked, etc. At the end of the two weeks she went to HR to complain. They said they would talk to the boss. Week 3, same thing. She talked to a few people but since the boss was... the boss, there was not much anyone could do. She asked other people if they had work for her and aside from a few copy and filing jobs they had nothing. So for 3 full weeks she sat in an office and played on a computer.

On the Monday of week 4 she decided to be forceful and approached the boss and very sternly said she would like some tasks. The boss didn't even look up from his computer and said he "got tricked by her college to give a student this internship and he didn't have time for her." So... she walked out and never returned. She never got a phone call or email from the company, nothing. But, she did get paid for 4 full weeks AFTER she left before the company seemed to realize she was gone! 

lilfox

« Reply #84 on: Today at 01:16:54 PM »
I actually did get a job once by walking in, filling out a paper application, and got an on-the-spot interview.  Of course, it was a mall retail job in the mid 90's, but hey.

Right now I'm annoyed by online applications that try to simplify things by importing content from a resume or LinkedIn page.  Not one has done a decent job of it.  I have to change so much stuff it's just easier to cut and paste from a document myself.

I had a strange phone interview years ago.  I was speaking to the hiring manager and she was just about the worst conversationalist ever.  When we had clearly run out of questions to ask each other I spent several minutes trying to wrap up and get off the phone.  That's hard to do when you still want to seem enthusiastic about the job and she just wasn't hitting any of the typical cues on her end.

Then I got the on-site interview and my 45 minutes with her was basically the same, except in person I could see that she also stared unblinkingly at me the whole time that I was talking.  It wasn't unnerving, exactly, but definitely awkward since I again had to end the conversation when our time was up.  Same interview trip, I talked to three other people individually, and they all asked me standard boring interview questions from the same sheet (each interviewer was allowed to choose 3 of the 10 questions, and each one happened to choose nearly the same questions).  Seriously, there's only so many ways to answer "What are your worst qualities?"

I got a pseudo-offer out of it - they said they wanted to make me an offer but had no budget for the position at the time, so maybe in a few months?  Fortunately I got something else lined up shortly after.

Sirius

« Reply #85 on: Today at 02:06:24 PM »

The words "She really reorganized the stockroom" could be interpreted as:

"She did an amazing job of reorganizing the stock room, making everything more accessible and keeping similar things together so they could be more easily found.  If three items were needed to complete a procedure, those three items would be found together in the chronological order they were needed.  We were ALL amazed at how much more efficient everything was after she did her magic there." 

-or-

"She never put anything where it was expected to be, so no one could find anything ever.  Not only that, but she constantly stole stuff from the stockroom and cost the company a bundle replacing it."

Or, it was the only nice thing the co-worker could think of to say about the applicant.