Author Topic: Millennials in the Workplace  (Read 1590 times)

sunseenli

Re: Millennials in the Workplace
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 03:51:48 PM »
My first week on ANY job, and I am on my very best behavior - quiet, friendly, eager-to-learn, well-dressed and well-groomed. Indeed, that's pretty much how I spend the first six months, let alone the very first week.

POD to this.  I don't even skip makeup the first six months, even if I'm very sick. 

I do have a funny bare feet story, though.  I would never take my shoes off in my office--we're not that kind of place.  And I'm the receptionist as well as the administrative assistant (and some office manager-y stuff--really, a Girl Friday), so I try to look slightly more formal than most, because I'm the first person anyone coming here sees.

But as part of the office manager-y stuff, one day I had to hang up some new labor law posters in the break room, and there are now so many, and there is only so much wall space, that it pretty much necessitated that I climb on a chair to be able to reach.  (No stepstool.)  And I just didn't want to stand on a chair that everyone had to sit on in shoes that had been on the New York City sidewalks, you know?  So I took them off so I was standing on the cushion in my socks...

...and that's when the doorbell rings.  Of course.  And it's my job to go answer it (we have to buzz people in for security reasons.)  I couldn't very well leave a visitor standing there (I was wearing laced shoes, so no way to slip them on quickly), so I had to run to open the door in my socked feet, praying he wouldn't notice.  (After all, as Shawshank Redemption mentioned, how often do you look at a {wo}man's shoes?)

Of course he was here for a job interview, and of course we ended up hiring him, and of course, he did notice.  Luckily he thought it was endearing rather than off-putting, but he does like to tease me about it from time to time.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 04:08:05 PM »
from my ripe ol' age of 54, i have come to the conclusion that employees fall into two groups - group A are people who either *know* stuff or learn by watching others (like the OP), or they need to be told. Things that *I* might find sort of "duh who doesn't know that" they need to be told. (Why they can't figure these things out for themselves, i do not know but i do know that i've come across many new hires that just don't know).

That's why when newbies come into my workplace i tend to give them TMI and tell them that they are welcome to come back and ask. Someone in my dept didn't know that you need to let your workplace know that you're not coming in. so yes, i had to tell them. We've had people who didn't get that if your contract says "9 to 6" then you come in before or at 9 and you leave at or after 6. you can't make up your own hours. you don't get to go home early because you're bored.

I've had jobs where I'd have worked 1 hour a week if I was able to do the bolded.  Of course, I didn't do that, and, bored or not, I was where I was supposed to be when I was supposed to be there.

onikenbai

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:29:00 AM »
In all fairness to her, she does have earphones.  I figure it will not be that long before IT calls her up and tells her to quit with the streaming as yes, it does chew up bandwith.  The rest of us are not adverse to ipods and use them fairly frequently when we have to concentrate and get a report done.  This week you could have had a marching band in your cube and nobody would have noticed noise as the neighbours set fire to their unit and we've got industrial HEPA filter fans going all over the place for cleanup.  It's currently like a tornado in a bad incense factory.

I am also pro-shoes off under the desk, but they go back on when you leave the safety of your cube.  Staples in the carpet and all.  I also don't want to see your pedicure in the kitchen.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: Today at 11:32:32 AM »
No, it's just a 'completely new to the workplace' and 'nobody ever told me this stuff' thing. You may not have seen people doing this sort of thing when you first started work, and I'm sure you didn't do it yourself - I certainly didn't! - but I saw plenty of my fellow new workers pull stupid stuff like this, decades ago. :P

I think it's a combination of being new to the Corporate World and having a different life experience with technology.  The personal computer wasn't even seen in the workplace until I was in my 40s.  People in the most recent working generation have never known anything less.

The way they see the world is just different than the way older workers have experienced it. 

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #19 on: Today at 11:37:14 AM »
This definitely isn't a Millennials thing. (I qualify as one myself, barely) This is a "doesn't know better yet" thing.

She may very well not have considered that streaming music would make such an impact on the bandwidth in a large office. If she gets warned by IT and continues, then she's being foolish, but until then, the only thing you could ascribe to her based on her age is the generational mindset of "when I listen to music, I get it off the internet."

Really, both behaviors boil down to the fact that she hasn't noticed that other people aren't doing what she's doing because it isn't acceptable, rather than because they have a personal preference for shoes and an ipod over stocking feet and internet music. I have a feeling if someone simply says "Hey, you need to keep your shoes on in the common office area and listen to non-streaming music," she'll knock it off.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Yarnspinner

« Reply #20 on: Today at 12:01:21 PM »
Unfortunately, there is a large group of work newbies in my library who may never have been told about behavior and dressing appropriately, but they DO know now and still prefer to do whatever the heck they think is most fun for them.

The young ladies complain about men leering at them for example.  Now, I agree that men, young or old, should NOT be ogling, flirting with or harassing young female workers.  However, as a young female worker once upon a time, I knew that if I quit wearing the low cut midriff tops and the tight jeans, the comments stopped.  The woman who is the direct supervisor to these girls (and I am sorry, they are girls, despite being in their mid to late twenties) has told them repeatedly that the security guard will deal with the problem gentlemen, but for heaven's sake, put some clothes on!  They insist on wearing clothing that looks as if it has been applied intravenously and only partially and then wonder why men ogle them.  Please! 

Then there is their work ethic--non-existent.  These kids have schedules they are supposed to follow, being on the desk, helping patrons, and so on.  Instead, they will disappear from the desk they are supposed to be working at and reappear in the lunch room with their buddies for giggles and candy and pizza.  I know this because I will be in the lunch room, overhear their conversation where they brag about how they have left "old fogie coworker" sitting alone surrounded by patrons, and giggle about how cool it is to have a pizza party. 

They have been written up, talked to, warned, written up again--and they keep doing it because the people who are in charge of them don't want to have to fire them.  Apparently having warm bodies somewhere in the building (even if they aren't doing their work) is better than not having any bodies at all.

I'm not sure this is a generational thing either, but I'm seeing it a LOT from the youth we hire these days.

nuit93

« Reply #21 on: Today at 12:03:08 PM »
I also wonder if part of it is regional?

I live in the PNW, where casualness is pretty much standard in a lot of jobs (especially in tech).  I've known people who came here from the East Coast and were shocked that most programmers don't wear a suit to work, or even a button-down shirt and slacks.

My department has people who listen to music on their headphones, I don't know if it's streaming or not but it's not generally considered a problem as long as you get your work done.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:28:50 PM »

I live in the PNW, where casualness is pretty much standard in a lot of jobs (especially in tech).  I've known people who came here from the East Coast and were shocked that most programmers don't wear a suit to work, or even a button-down shirt and slacks.

My department has people who listen to music on their headphones, I don't know if it's streaming or not but it's not generally considered a problem as long as you get your work done.

I vote not regional. I've lived on the East Coast (FL, NY, and NJ), and most people have a relaxed dress code (decent jeans/pants, polo shirt). This is especially true in tech; my X-DH has been in the tech field for 30+ yrs.

nuit93

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:47:11 PM »

I vote not regional. I've lived on the East Coast (FL, NY, and NJ), and most people have a relaxed dress code (decent jeans/pants, polo shirt). This is especially true in tech; my X-DH has been in the tech field for 30+ yrs.

I've been in companies where the tech department would find a polo shirt "dressy".  More typical attire would be a t-shirt that was part of a geeky convention giveaway.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: Today at 05:02:38 PM »

I live in New England and most of the tech people I know dress very casually. My brother works in IT for a law firm and he does have to wear a collared shirt and a tie, but that is because his firm has a very strict dress code. I'd say banking and law are the main businesses where casual dress isn't accepted.

But a good friend of mine is in IT and he wears tee shirts and jeans to work. He also takes off his shoes and walks around barefoot/in sock feet. His boss has to tell him to put his shoes on for client meetings. And that's in Boston, not in a rural area. 
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

BigBadBetty

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:11:13 PM »
I am in my 40s and work in the IT department. People of all ages stream music at work. And it's not just the IT folks, the managers, admin assistants and financial staff do it, too. As long as it is a legal music site, it is totally acceptable. If there is a big time sporting event during the day (like NCAA men's basketball), it's considered OK to stream the game on a secondary monitor (as long as you are getting your job done).