News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 28, 2016, 03:28:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Where do you allow food in your home?

Kitchen
Dining room
Living room/den
Porch
Bedroom
Other

Author Topic: Where do you allow food in your home?  (Read 2327 times)

mime

Re: Where do you allow food in your home?
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2016, 01:10:19 PM »
We eat in the kitchen and dining room, and our older son (11yo) can have food in the rec room in the basement. A water bottle in any room is fine.

DH or I may have a snack or late dessert in the bedroom after the kids are in bed, or lunch on the couch if we're home alone, but the kids don't get to. We did allow food in the living room for a while, but it was just. so. messy. I'll be happy to relax that rule later when the kids are older.

It never occurred to me to eat in the bathroom!

lilfox

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »
We also eat primarily in the kitchen and dining room (not a separate room, our kitchen and living room are open plan and there is a space for a dinner table that is not technically kitchen or living room).

Eating in the living room doesn't happen much.  The kids can have a rare snack in there if we're watching TV, but meals are always at the table.  The exception is DH who eats his lunch at his home office desk, which happens to be in our bedroom for the time being.  I sometimes have chocolate from my stash in my bedroom, but that's mainly to hide it from the kids (and DH) - generally I don't like eating in bed.  As for drinks, DH and I take our drinks with us to any room (except bathroom), DD is allowed to have a water bottle in her room, DS is still too young.

Bijou

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2016, 12:39:03 AM »
Any room but the bathroom. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

katycoo

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2016, 06:20:40 AM »
Eh, wherever.

I have not had cause to eat in the bedroom, but I remember as a teen I would often make a sandwich or snack to eat while doing homework in my room so its not always weird.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2016, 07:09:26 AM »
I'm single and live alone, so it's pretty much a free-for-all, and there's nothing even vaguely resembling a dining table, but that being said, I'm still very careful with spills and crumbs.  I actually do keep a small rug under my feet on my end of the couch, so I can pick up said rug and shake it out the back door once in awhile. 
I don't eat in the bedroom simply because there's no reason to - no TV in there.  If I want to lounge around and watch TV, I do it in the living room, because....did I mention that I'm single and live alone?   LOL 
There is a sewing room, but no eating while I'm sewing because my hands are busy.  However, the sewing table doubles as my Telework table, so I do eat when I'm working.  But again, I'm very careful about crumbs and spills. 

I grew up with the 'no eating in the bedroom' rules, and we never allowed dirty dishes to pile up anywhere, so I just never got into the habit. 
My cat doesn't touch people food.  She'll sniff just so she can give me a disgusted look (you're eating *that*?) and walk away.

Penguin_ar

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2016, 07:53:38 AM »
We generally eat in the kitchen/ dining room, or the living room (yes, we sometimes eat in front of the TV as a family).
While I don't eat a full meal in the bedroom, I might bring a cup of tea and a square of chocolate in with me, as I like to read some before bed. Similarly, when I had a long, luxurious bath, I may bring in a glass of sweet tea or a candy to have.

NbyNW

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »
Our kitchen is small so if you want to eat there it will be standing at the counter. We generally only eat at the dining room table if we have company (it's just my husband and myself now). Otherwise we eat in the living room in front of the TV (watching our "dinner show").

It's not that we don't allow eating in the bedroom. We just don't usually do it.

As far as the bathroom goes, I never eat in there (can't speak for my husband) but I've been known to carry a cup of coffee or tea in there to drink while I shower.

All these posts remind me how happy I am not to live in an area anymore where battling ants and other insects in the house is just a given. 

judecat

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Two unrelated older females, in a small 2 bedroom condo.  The dining room table is a fold away and only gets opened if there is company.  We usually eat at our desks,  mines in my bedroom (I have the bigger room),  her's is in the living room.   Unless we want to watch a movie together,  then we both eat in the living room.

mandycorn

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »
All the "never in the bathroom" posts just reminded me: my baby sister was quite the diva during high school and would get up two hours earlier than the rest of us ever did so she'd have time to do elaborate hair-dos and makeup every day. My mom would always take her some toast and juice (in the bathroom) to make sure she had time to eat something before she had to leave.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Shishimai

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2016, 11:12:24 AM »
Any room except for bedroom or bathroom. Craft room is fine if (only if) there's no active crafting going on, or it's something innocuous that won't be dangerous if it's near food, or be destroyed if someone (cough - me) knocks a drink over on it. Since the computers are in the craft room and I like to have a snack when I'm gaming, that happens.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
In our house there's a kids/adults divide.  The kids have to eat sitting at the kitchen table, or outside.  Adults can eat anywhere they want (which generally means the living room, we don't eat in the bedroom much unless there's a specific reason).  They know that this is because they still spill and drop food (the table after a meal is a good demonstration of this).  At some point we may start saying to the older kids that they are allowed to eat elsewhere but are expected to be old enough to use a dish, be careful not to spill, use judgment on whether a food is reasonable to try to eat away from the table (soup on the couch might not be a good idea, for example).

There are occasional parent-sanctioned exceptions for special events, like a Family Movie Night on a picnic blanket in the living room.
Emily is 9 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 7 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 5 years old!  8/10
Megan is 3 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 1 year old!  12/14