News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 02, 2016, 02:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who uses a Fitbit?  (Read 1313 times)

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: Who uses a Fitbit?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 02:00:44 AM »
I have a Fitbit Charge, and have done for just about a year. I'm also on my third Fitbit Charge (all replacements done by Fitbit - so credit there!) after the straps broke after five-six months of normal wear and the Charge does not allow you to change the straps.

My recommendation would be to go for the Alta (that's one of the two new ones) - it has most of the functionality of the Charge (it doesn't do flights of stairs) with the added bonus that it does enable you to change straps.

If you want a Charge HR, I'd look at one of the other brands of tracker.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »
I have a Fitbit Charge, and have done for just about a year. I'm also on my third Fitbit Charge (all replacements done by Fitbit - so credit there!) after the straps broke after five-six months of normal wear and the Charge does not allow you to change the straps.

My recommendation would be to go for the Alta (that's one of the two new ones) - it has most of the functionality of the Charge (it doesn't do flights of stairs) with the added bonus that it does enable you to change straps.

If you want a Charge HR, I'd look at one of the other brands of tracker.
My Fitbit Charge HR band lasted a year and 2 months. They did replace it free for me even though it was past the one year warranty. I was looking at the Blaze because you can change the bands before I found out that they would replace mine for free. I tried it on and it does look a little too big on my wrist. I didn't like the Alta because it doesn't count stairs. I also considered going back to the One. I wanted to stay within the Fitbit family because I do Fitbit contests.

bopper

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »
I just got the fitbit Charge HR....it has a watch band so is very secure.

I wasn't sure about the Heart rate part and if I would use it...but today I saw this; http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/11/473393761/a-fitbit-saved-his-life-well-maybe

The Fitbit Alta also looks intriguing but it is new and not as available.

Trogdor

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
I have a Fitbit Charge HR.

I bought it particularly for the HR function as I have a tachycardia and thought it would be useful/cool to track episodes. I checked very carefully to make sure that I had set it up/was wearing it correctly when I bought it.  Verdict: It's horribly inaccurate. I think that the HR tracking software may be programmed not to 'believe' an extremely high HR. (Finger and watch measurement: 160+ bpm over a 2 minute time span. Fitbit HR: 74 bpm. it never changed from that until after my HR had returned to normal). It has never once recorded an actual episode.

Verdict: once it dies, if I do replace it, it will be with a cheaper model that only records steps.

lilfox

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »
I have the Fitbit One and really like it.  I'm on my second after I lost the first one (my own fault, I knew it wasn't secure).  Most of my friends have one of the wrist versions but as I have bony, narrow wrists, I don't like to wear that style.  I also heard that it doesn't always count steps if you are carrying something and holding your wrists fairly stable as you walk.  But then, the One doesn't count steps if you walk softly or smoothly.

I have used the sleep function before but since that involves wearing a wrist strap, I don't bother.  I also don't use any of the calorie tracking features, so it's kind of a glorified pedometer.

Trogdor - I briefly used an optical HR wrist monitor a few years ago that was very accurate but I couldn't remember the name of it (possibly an early generation Mio?). That's all it did though, it was not a fitness tracker at all, and I think we had special software to be able to see the HR readout. I did a quick Google search and there are recommendations out there for people who want real time HR readouts for various reasons, so you may have luck with one of those.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 03:03:36 AM »
I've had a fitbit Charge for about 18 months. Love it, but please be aware of a common problem that I've falling victim to.

Please be aware that there is a common manufacturing flaw with the fitbit range of devices where the rubber covering can start peeling away really badly. If you are within the 1 year warranty they'll replace it for free (except that I live outside their coverage area, so I have to have it shipped to a friend in Australia, and then when my friend comes across to visit me in several months time for a wedding, they'll bring my replacement fitbit with them.)

Their generous 2 year replacement policy has changed recently. They now no longer replace a broken one outside of 1 year after purchase, they only give you 25% discount on the purchase of another fitbit.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

ClaireC79

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »

I bought it particularly for the HR function as I have a tachycardia and thought it would be useful/cool to track episodes. I checked very carefully to make sure that I had set it up/was wearing it correctly when I bought it.  Verdict: It's horribly inaccurate. I think that the HR tracking software may be programmed not to 'believe' an extremely high HR.

It has registered mine for over 150bpm before

texgalatheart

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 03:19:41 PM »
My first fitbit was a Charge HR. I liked the functions and thought the watch style buckle would be great. I found that it got in the way and dug into my wrist at times. i liked that it would sync with my iphone and would tell you who was calling. I replaced it with the fitbit Alta. It is a smaller profile - very similar to the Fitbit flex. It doesn't monitor heartrate or stairs - these didn't matter to me. It also syncs with the iphone and will give me the name and number of callers and will also give me name and trunciated text messages. It is nice if you have your phone on silent - it vibrates the fitbit to let you know you have a call/text coming in.  I found on small strap bands on ebay  (also available on Amazon) that slip over the clasp to keep it from coming loose.