News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 04, 2016, 01:00:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water Softeners?  (Read 423 times)

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
Water Softeners?
« on: November 17, 2016, 05:32:37 PM »
Hi all!

We just bought a new home and are getting our other one ready to rent out. The issue: the water softener.
We live in an area with really hard water. We were going to move our water softener from the old house to the new house but then that would mean getting a softener for the rent house. The water leaves spots and smells like chlorine w/out a softener.

Then we thought, let's leave the softener at the old house and get a new one for the new house! Yay! Well I don't know.

Softeners are pricey and we don't have the funds (or would rather use those funds on new flooring in the old house, carpet) to buy a softener outright. Today some men from GE came over and told us about their softener system.
I talked them down (at least I think I did well) a couple thousand dollars. Their system is lifetime warranty and if we move then they move the system to our new house. (We hope to retire here but one never knows, right?)

The monthly payments are $40 for the first year and then $90 until it's paid off. Yes it's very pricey but for right now it seems like the obvious choice, lower monthly payments and we can still renovate the soon-to-be rent house.

My question is this: What kind of water softener do you have and do you like or dislike it? Has anyone used the GE Pro Elite Softener System? We have 3 days to cancel if we don't like it but we don't want to get locked into something we don't like. I know we'll spend more in the long run but $800 plus install could go towards new carpet or new fencing, both of which the other house needs to rent out.

I am torn. Anyone have any advice/opionions/etc?

*Note* This is not asking for legal advice, just advice on water softeners and/or water softener companies.

:)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Water Softeners?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:41:28 AM »
We have both a neutralizer and a softener from Water Right.  Our well water was acidic, so we needed the neutralizer.  And the neutralizer made our water extremely hard, so we needed the softener.  We've had them for several years and haven't had a problem. I don't remember what we paid, but the expense was worth it.

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »
Yes they are expensive.
I think we decided we just need a softener but are either going to take the one from the old house or get a new one in a couple of months.

We'd love to have the RO system as well as the softener but since I'm going to be working only part time for 4 months we have decided against it.

Thanks for your opinion!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »
PSA for anyone with a softener:

The majority of them work by putting salt into the water, using sodium to replace the calcium and magnesium, which cause the hardness.  So softened water is much higher in sodium, upwards of 300 ppm or mg/L if the water is really hard.  So you have to account for that in your calculation of sodium ingested for the day from your food.

Most companies will recommend having one separate tap in the kitchen that doesn't go through the softener to use for cooking and drinking purposes.

Softened water can also have a deleterious effect on copper piping.  You have to watch out for leaks sooner than you would if the water wasn't softened.  If your pluming is plastic, it doesn't have an effect.

I'm happy to now live in an area where the water supply isn't hard enough to need a softener.   :)  Not that I had one even when I did live in a hard water zone...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
What Outdoor Girl said and if your water is so hard you have to turn the salt level up it will eat your water heater, appliances and even faucets.  I am sure you got the water tested by the salespeople but definitely call around and ask some questions. Call your local water department and ask their opinion on softened or unsoftened water in the long run.   

If you think the softener is expensive now, wait until you have to start replacing appliances and fixtures  >:(    I have had good luck and bad luck with softeners.

A whole house RO unit may be better in the long run.  If your water isn't that hard a softener is great!

We have lived in several areas of town, the last home had water so hard that it literally ate the first water softener and then when we had the salt turned up on the new system to actually enjoy soft water it ate the water heater and dishwasher.  Then I had to replace both bathtub shower faucets, then both bathroom sink faucets and finally the kitchen faucet; at that point I unplugged the softener.   

We have since moved and I am in a hard water area again, it's an apartment so no option for a water softener here.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 12:35:35 PM »
You don't need to spend much money on one.  Lowe's or Homedepot have them for a few hundred dollars.  An R.O. can be had for under $200. 

rain

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »
I have a rainsoft & use potassium rather than salt.  Its more expensive, but we were told it also lasts longer than bag salt - and if we forget to shut the valve we won't kill the lawn, house plants, or salt the cars washing them
In search of a tag line

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:17:58 PM »
As someone that takes potassium that is interesting.