News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 24, 2017, 03:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 151026 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #1020 on: Yesterday at 08:31:13 AM »
Congratulations siamescat

Thank you! i really am quite pleased with the small bit of extra space i have. i created a "reading nook"
 in my LR. the one tv and some other stuff used to be shoved behind one chair, and i'd position the chair to hide it.

Now, i've got the chair, and ottoman, plus a really nice floor lamp my mom gave me, and a small side table. i can sit in the chair, and read, and have a cup of coffee or tea. I may try it out tonight. And its great since another goal of mine is to not watch os much tv and catch up on my reading.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #1021 on: Yesterday at 08:45:08 AM »
I am getting rid of  loads of stuff. I am using a variation of the Konmarie method ("Meh, it doesn't bring me joy, off it goes"). The frustrating thing is that although I know there is less in the house you can't really tell.  :-\

lorelai

« Reply #1022 on: Yesterday at 01:09:36 PM »
Hmmm maybe I should aim to declutter each section of the house twice a year. Every six months sounds not too overwhelming.

I went through all our medicines and toiletries, so my bathroom is looking pretty good right now!

Next up is my nightstand, at which point my bedroom/bathroom/walk in closet will all be decluttered.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1023 on: Yesterday at 01:25:25 PM »
Hmmm maybe I should aim to declutter each section of the house twice a year. Every six months sounds not too overwhelming.

I went through all our medicines and toiletries, so my bathroom is looking pretty good right now!

Next up is my nightstand, at which point my bedroom/bathroom/walk in closet will all be decluttered.

I also sometimes find myself doing it while looking for something else! A few weeks ago i was looking for the vaseline. i know i had it, but just not where. That turned into me organizing my linen closet. didn't take me long, but I threw out a few things, and straightened up the rest.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1024 on: Yesterday at 01:50:37 PM »
I had a bunch of food that I brought from my Dad's, sitting on the counter because it wouldn't fit in the pantry.  So I reorganized the pantry and consolidated all my herbs and spices.  There was a full recycle bin last week!  And I got everything off my counter.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

guihong

« Reply #1025 on: Yesterday at 02:12:39 PM »
I replaced my toaster oven :).  The old one had knobs in which the numbers and settings were rubbed off, so I had to "guess".  My excuse was "It still works, I just can't read it  ::)".

Maybe part of decluttering is also replacing often-used things and not settling for something that is substandard.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1026 on: Yesterday at 02:14:54 PM »
I replaced my toaster oven :).  The old one had knobs in which the numbers and settings were rubbed off, so I had to "guess".  My excuse was "It still works, I just can't read it  ::)".

Maybe part of decluttering is also replacing often-used things and not settling for something that is substandard.

Exactly! I've done that as well. Kept things that kind of, sort of, but still worked. But maybe not 100% but I kept thinking i could "make do" Then decided to get rid of it, and boom.

yesterday i consolidated some things, and ended up with a plastic shoe box, minus the lid. in the past, I might have kept it, thinking i could use it at some later date. Now? Into the trash. if i ever do need one, they are inexpensive enough I'll just go buy one.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #1027 on: Yesterday at 02:52:07 PM »
Four sacks of rubbish today. I attacked the cupboard next to my feeding chair, and the surface in front of the bookshelves. I am tackling things one at a time. Today I went through my toddler's blocks and identified the round pegs from the hammering set. I also chucked the second set that wasn't stuck together. I have a big box of unwanted gifts for the charity shop and new cards for saver schemes are in my wallet.