News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 08:37:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coffee Break Advice  (Read 1465 times)

workerbee

Re: Coffee Break Advice
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 09:44:39 AM »
If you want to do something nice, I second the idea of going to a local coffee shop and asking their advice. Maybe just to 'christen' the new coffee pot - buying it regularly could get expensive! :)

My favorite brands are Peet's Coffee (the Medium Roast Cafe Domingo, which I think comes in decaf) and the Starbucks Veranda Blonde (not sure there's a decaf version). I agree that if you're not a coffee drinker, you're not likely to enjoy the other Starbucks varieties - they can be really strong tasting.

I also read a Consumer Reports once that rated Eight O'Clock 100% Colombian the best coffee -- so I buy that sometimes too!

mandycorn

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 12:55:26 PM »
There's a local-to-me company that was featured in the newspaper a couple of years ago that I tried out and now I'm addicted. I love all of the coffee I've had from them, it's super fresh and they ship free if you order at least $30. I also love that they ship coffee to our troops overseas on their own dime. Anyway, if you want to check them out, it's http://www.locknloadjava.com/category/coffee.html My personal fav is the Warrior Select, but I'm sure their Sniper's Choice Decaf is just as good.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »
I've been a huge fan of Mayorga brand ever since I found it at Costco:  http://www.mayorgaorganics.com/

The story:  I spent YEARS hating coffee.  I went through 16 years of night shift without coffee.  It wasn't until much later, into my late 30s, that I realized that it wasn't coffee I disliked, it was BAD coffee!!   So I learned how to make good coffee and I've been an addict ever since.   From what I read all over, you're supposed to use 2 Tablespoons of ground coffee per cup of coffee - this is way too much for my tastes.  I use 1 Tablespoon, sometimes a heaping spoon, but still less than 2.   Try different strengths and see what you like.   

Jocelyn

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:15 PM »
I live in Missouri. Local grocery stores are Walmart and Schnuck's. There is a discount store that sells Kroger brands as well.

I used to make coffee for my parents as a kid, and we used a heaping TB per cup. I've had coffee-lovers say that I made good coffee, but that's been decades. :)

The idea of trying out a coffee shop is a good one! Hadn't thought of that.

bonyk

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 06:32:42 AM »
For grinds I love Chock full of Nuts, but that might be regional. Gevalia is delicious, too.

Owly

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »
My favorite brand is Green Mountain. Most of the places locally only sell it in k-cup form, but you can get bags of it online. For someone who wants a milder coffee, I'd try either Breakfast Blend or Nantucket Blend; I know the Breakfast Blend comes in decaf. (They have flavored coffees too, if you like that sort of thing, and they are SO GOOD. Not sure what's available in decaf, but I've seen a half-caff vanilla.)

I personally really, really love Columbian roast too, and it is pretty commonly found in decaf. But it might be a little bit stronger than the other two.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 01:29:50 AM »
My wife and use a One cup drip coffee maker and make each cup fresh, this also lets you pick which type of coffee you want to brew that time.

I'm partial to Millstone coffee, but have not tried any of their decafs.