News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 20, 2017, 06:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2170274 times)

YummyMummy66

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #8430 on: February 15, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »
A certain insurance company that I got homeowner's insurance from, when I bought my condo. 

First of all, I've never bought a house before, so this was all new to me. I was told that I needed homeowner's insurance in place to get the mortgage.  Okay fine.  I went with X insurance company because the condo complex used X insurance, and I thought it would make things easier if I used the same company.

So I called them and got a quote, and sent half of the annual fee.  Very reasonable, I thought.   Insurance in place.
About a week before closing, I found out that I hadn't bought enough coverage.  I needed more.  So I called the guy that I talked to in the first place.   [Another note:  The first time I called was the LAST time I ever talked to that guy.  He was totally unavailable ever after, so I talked to minor people in the office who apparently had no idea what was going on, and couldn't reach him.]

After much hair-pulling, I finally got a larger quote.  Still reasonable.  So I sent the quote to the mortgage person.  Who couldn't reach anyone knowledgeable in  X insurance office either.  Emails started flying back and forth, and phone calls kept getting misdirected, and I was starting to get frantic.  I finally told Miss Jean (the lovely patient mortgage person) that she had my authority to tell X insurance that they get the information to her RIGHT NOW or I would call Y insurance (where I had my car insurance) and have them take over.   
Oddly enough, the information magically appeared, within the hour.   

A month later, I have moved into the condo, and I get a phone call from X insurance - one of the minor people again.

Him:  Um, Miss?  We got a check from the closing company to cover your annual homeowner's insurance.
Me:  Oh, so that's how they do it?  Okay, cool.
Him:  But you sent us a check for half of the insurance already.  What are we supposed to do?
Me:  Gee, you could send me a check!
Him: I guess we can do that.

I am SO done with this insurance company.  Next year, I'm dumping them and going with someone sane.

Like another poster stated, check with who carries your car insurance.  We have our car insurance and our homeowner's with the same company.

If they do not cover homeowner's I would start looking at other insurance carrier at least six months before your current insurance is up.   Also, if your insurance is included in with your mortgage payment, realize that when you switch to the new insurance, you will probably have to pay that first year's rate.   Then whatever is due back to you, you will receive a check from your mortgage company once they receive verification from the new insurance.  Then your payment will include the amount of new insurance's quote.