News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 27, 2016, 08:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ah, funerals (kind of gross)  (Read 5994 times)

Luci

Re: Ah, funerals (kind of gross)
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2016, 12:04:29 AM »
Dear old aunt's funeral, Lucas was a pall bearer, we were BIL and SIL's transportation. SIL kept putting off going to the restroom after services at the mortuary but since there was some problem with the equipment she decided to go. We had all loaded up, the procession finally started. We had to be in a certain position so we had to roll. SIL did not show up, all the other cars were gone by the time she exited the restroom, so she was alone for about an hour in the funeral home until we could go back to get her.

She was a bit angry. We get to hear about it every few months, but still don't know what she did for that time.

HappilyInsane

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2016, 02:10:44 AM »
I wasn't born yet when this happened, but I've heard about it all my life...an Aunt of my mother's passed. She was well-loved, and had always been a cutup at family gatherings.

They were a few hours into the wake when she sat up   :o Cue utter pandemonium, with people running out screaming, fainting...the funeral director made everyone leave while they attended to the matter, it seems that air trapped in the body caused it. They took her out of the coffin with the help of some of the men in the family, and pressed on her till she was flat again and they got the air out. It was quite a while before they could laugh about it, but some considered it her last prank on the family.

Edited for mistaken emoticon choice...dry eye got me again!

Oh dear! This reminded me of a Ray Stevens song lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FJNZyhRfA4

Mrs T

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 06:17:41 AM »
DH didn't have a very good relationship with his Dad, but I convinced him that we ought to go to the funeral to say goodbye. FIL had had numerous affairs over the years, starting with cheating DH's mother (wife number 1) and when he died he was on wife number 4.
The funeral was lead by a female vicar, who seemed overly, inappropriately upset (I don't mean that no-one should care, but I expected her to show some professionalism). During her eulogy she spoke about FIL and how "he loved looking at birds".

DH and his brother were (silent) laughing so much that their shoulders were shaking. I think those sat behind thought they were crying.

(In case it doesn't translate well, "birds" is british slang for women)