News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 03:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!  (Read 525227 times)

Mouse Isa

Re: Special Snowflakes Redux - play nice!
« Reply #2520 on: May 19, 2018, 01:27:01 AM »
Today's Dear Abby; someone wrote in asking what do you do when your friends have "graciously gifted you several nights free at a lovely beach hotel" but your room faces a wall, with a black tarp and there are no other available rooms. Really?

um, you suck it up, and enjoy the beach. The room was a gift, so to whine and complain about it, or even wrtie to DA, is rude.
Free multiple nights at a beach hotel, and they're gonna complain about the view?  If it was some sleazy roach motel in a questionable area, I'd understand.  But this is a pretty great gift, there's no reason to nitpick.

Aleko

« Reply #2521 on: May 19, 2018, 04:52:53 AM »
The proverb 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth' is more than 1600 years old and is as valid now as it was when St Jerome cited it as a common saying. Your totally free beach hotel room has no sea view? Ooh, poor diddums!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2522 on: May 19, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
Today's Dear Abby; someone wrote in asking what do you do when your friends have "graciously gifted you several nights free at a lovely beach hotel" but your room faces a wall, with a black tarp and there are no other available rooms. Really?

um, you suck it up, and enjoy the beach. The room was a gift, so to whine and complain about it, or even wrtie to DA, is rude.

That's what I thought!  It's a gift!
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

mkkristen

« Reply #2523 on: May 19, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »
The only reason I can see mentioning it is if they paid extra for a view and didn't get it. If I paid extra for a beach view and gave it to my brother and he was put in a bad room with a view of the dumpster I would want to know so I could get some of my money back.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #2524 on: May 21, 2018, 08:53:41 AM »
The only reason I can see mentioning it is if they paid extra for a view and didn't get it. If I paid extra for a beach view and gave it to my brother and he was put in a bad room with a view of the dumpster I would want to know so I could get some of my money back.

Very true but the letter didn't meniton that; the tone was that they expected to have a beach view, and were whining because they didn't get one.