Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 293602 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1050 on: November 25, 2013, 08:53:04 PM »

I had to tell my freshman year roommate not to sleep in a certain sort of feminine product. To my horror, she did so all the time and had never even heard of Toxic Shock Syndrome!  :o

That's not a bad thing. TSS comes for keeping it in too long, so if she was keeping it in all day AND sleeping with it in, then yeah problem.  But just overnight won't cause it. 

Jones

« Reply #1051 on: November 25, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »

I had to tell my freshman year roommate not to sleep in a certain sort of feminine product. To my horror, she did so all the time and had never even heard of Toxic Shock Syndrome!  :o

That's not a bad thing. TSS comes for keeping it in too long, so if she was keeping it in all day AND sleeping with it in, then yeah problem.  But just overnight won't cause it.

At the risk of TMI, I've done that (sleep with it) quite a few times...but usually I'm sleeping 6-ish hours, not a full night. I was under the impression TSS came from 12+ hours.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #1052 on: November 25, 2013, 09:22:19 PM »

At the risk of TMI, I've done that (sleep with it) quite a few times...but usually I'm sleeping 6-ish hours, not a full night. I was under the impression TSS came from 12+ hours.

I suspect WishUponAStar was going by the manufacturer's maximum wearing times, which is usually specified on the box/directions. We probably shouldn't get into a discussion of how long is really "too long" or this is going to stray into medical advice and get locked.

WishUponAStar

« Reply #1053 on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »

I suspect WishUponAStar was going by the manufacturer's maximum wearing times, which is usually specified on the box/directions. We probably shouldn't get into a discussion of how long is really "too long" or this is going to stray into medical advice and get locked.

I'll just clarify real quick that she did mention something about all day use as well, IIRC. I apologize for not mentioning that in my OP! I was more shocked that she knew nothing about TSS or the consequences of keeping it on ''too long.''

katycoo

« Reply #1054 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »

I'll just clarify real quick that she did mention something about all day use as well, IIRC. I apologize for not mentioning that in my OP! I was more shocked that she knew nothing about TSS or the consequences of keeping it on ''too long.''

Without changing?  That's a problem in and of itself.

Am I wrong in that most TSS cases are first or early users?  That people who've used them a long time generally don't have problems?

I sleep in mine all the time.

menley

« Reply #1055 on: November 26, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »

Without changing?  That's a problem in and of itself.

Am I wrong in that most TSS cases are first or early users?  That people who've used them a long time generally don't have problems?

I sleep in mine all the time.

For a short time I worked at a company that produced tampons, among other things. Most of the cases are illiterate users, which is really sad. I know I used to think "Gosh, just read the labels!" - but these women weren't able to.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1056 on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
I hadn't even thought about TSS for years, but I just read a news story about a girl who died with her first use of one.  <shudder>  Poor thing.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #1057 on: November 27, 2013, 05:26:03 AM »
I live in North Central Alberta. It is recommended that one plug in one's vehicle block heater only if the temperatures are going below -15C. I have to bite my tongue to keep from telling the (somewhere in the condo complex) neighbor with two vehicles that he does not have to plug his cars in as soon as, and as long as, there is snow on the ground.

Don't get me started on remote car starters and greenhouse gases!!
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

123sandy

« Reply #1058 on: November 27, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
Years ago I knew a woman who told me her favourite way to relax was in a hot bubble bath, well who doesn't enjoy that? Difference was she plugged in her curling iron and did her hair at the same time. She did not believe me when I said it was very dangerous...

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1059 on: November 27, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
Years ago I knew a woman who told me her favourite way to relax was in a hot bubble bath, well who doesn't enjoy that? Difference was she plugged in her curling iron and did her hair at the same time. She did not believe me when I said it was very dangerous...

Yeah ... she was in danger of ending up with the curliest hair EVER!!   ;D

Pen^2

« Reply #1060 on: November 27, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »

Oh my goodness, that's horrifying. She wouldn't believe you? I hate to make light of it, but, "it's her funeral..."

This reminds me of all the Darwin awards for people doing similar things, like dousing their hair in petrol (a homemade lice treatment or something) and then having a casual cigarette at the same time. I read one where a person wanted to see how clear the radio sounded from underwater, and I think you can guess the rest.

It makes you wonder how so many people like this survive to adulthood at all. I shudder to think about these kinds of stupidly reckless things.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1061 on: November 27, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »

I wasn't thinking Darwin awards. The first thing I thought of was - wet, slippery hands + a hot appliance = nasty burns! ??? At least if you are bending over the sink it isn't going to fall on you if you drop it! Or maybe that's just my lack of coordination talking...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1062 on: November 27, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »

I wasn't thinking Darwin awards. The first thing I thought of was - wet, slippery hands + a hot appliance = nasty burns! ??? At least if you are bending over the sink it isn't going to fall on you if you drop it! Or maybe that's just my lack of coordination talking...

But if your wet, slippery hands drop it into the tub with you, you'll be electrocuted.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1063 on: November 28, 2013, 12:25:39 AM »

But if your wet, slippery hands drop it into the tub with you, you'll be electrocuted.

Very true. But even if you don't drop it into the water, you will still regret it. Just a bad idea all around. :-\
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #1064 on: November 28, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
I work with a lovely women who has never heard of hepatitis.  This is a woman in her 50's who has been working in an assisted living facility for over 8 years where we go through infectious disease training all.the.time!!!!  When I told her the head of the nursing staff got mad at me when I said I couldn't get a hepatitis shot due to a previous severe reaction, she just looked at me and said "What is that?  Is that a new disease?"   :o