Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 215646 times)

bloo

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1065 on: November 28, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
When my husband was at military police school he met a guy from New York who, upon learning that DH was from Oregon, asked "Wow, really? Have you ever had any run-ins with Indians?" He thought it was dangerous to go out into rural areas!
over my lifetime there have been people who asked us (upon learning we live in israel) if we have camels and live in tents.

yeah, not so much. this is the same land where the biblical stories took place, but no, we aren't living in the biblical era.

My brother and I were in the Philippines a few years ago and I remember him asking one of my native cousins, "so where are the monkeys?" She laughed and explained that in certain areas we would, possibly, see monkeys swinging through traffic, but are far and few in between.

123Sandy

« Reply #1066 on: November 28, 2013, 12:44:19 PM »
A few years ago an American woman asked me where I came from. I told her, Scotland, and she congratulated me on my English. I was speechless....

Margo

« Reply #1067 on: November 28, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
I was congratulated on my English by a woman in North Carolina after she asked me where I was from and told her 'England'. She was totally serious.

MOM21SON

« Reply #1068 on: November 28, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
Most food cans are ring pulls now anyway.

Where do you live? Pop-top cans are not rare here, but they aren't the norm either.

UK.

Ah.

Well in Texas, pop-top cans are not the norm by any means. The only brand i can think of that uses them often is Chef Boyardee. (Canned pasta)

I'm also in th UK, we got one of those handheld battery operated can openers as a wedding present, I'm sure its saved our marriage, DH is a lefty and destroys manuals.
I guess the pop tops might be a brand thing, most of what we buy still needs an opener.

My DH is lefty and I am not.  This is one of the few items we both love.

http://www.qvc.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Ultimate-Can-Opener-with-Auto-Attach-Feature.product.K18779.html?sc=K18779-Zone&cm_scid=zone&cm_sp=MERCHZONE-_-Featured:+Recently+Aired+Items-_-1

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1069 on: November 28, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
I had to call my health insurance to try to get a new provider today, as we just moved into a new area.  So she looked me up by zipcode, and said, "Okay, it looks like there's an opening at Dover."  I'd never heard of a city/town named Dover near me, so I said, "Where's Dover?"  Her: "You know, Dover, Delaware."  Me: "Uh... DELAWARE?  I'm supposed to go to DELAWARE for a doctor?"  Her: <unsure>  "Are you... near the border with Delaware, maybe?"  Me: "<MyState> doesn't share a border with Delaware!" 

It doesn't *really* fall under "an adult should really know this," (maybe more of a "the computer system should know this!") because for all I know she lives out west and how would she know how close the East Coast states are... but I thought it funny enough that I needed to post it *somewhere*.  For the record, the healthcare facility that was coming up in Dover would have been at least a 4-5 hour drive to see a doctor.  It did manage to come up with a second choice that was, at least, in the neighboring state, but still too far.  Turned out to be a system problem and a restart fixed it.

I ran into a similar problem one year with a house insurance policy.  I found that my rates had been raised because the company didn't know where the small town where I lived actually was located. 

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #1070 on: November 28, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »

This reminds me of all the Darwin awards for people doing similar things, like dousing their hair in petrol (a homemade lice treatment or something).
It makes you wonder how so many people like this survive to adulthood at all. I shudder to think about these kinds of stupidly reckless things.

Kerosene was a common remedy for lice long ago.

greencat

« Reply #1071 on: November 29, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »
Today I had to tell someone who is literally old enough to be my mother (because her youngest daughter is my age!) that real butter is sold in both salted and unsalted versions.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1072 on: November 29, 2013, 12:34:25 AM »
I had to explain to a coworker that Hindus and Muslims belong to different religions (I am neither, I just happen to pay attention to other people's cultures and their preferences and beliefs from a personal interest standpoint).

Coworker was making an offensive joke about a Hindu coworker and certain things extremists from other religions can get up to. I pointed out to her that he was Hindu, not Muslim and it was an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT RELIGION. She had no idea. Sigh. (I didn't bother to get into the whole offensiveness of her joke in the first place, it would have gone right over her head about why that was wrong as well).

Had to explain to another coworker that offering the Hindu coworker halaal options for an office catering thing was kinda pointless, since he didn't care if it was halaal, he just didn't want to eat beef.  :-X
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1073 on: November 29, 2013, 07:22:35 AM »
I had to explain to a coworker that Hindus and Muslims belong to different religions (I am neither, I just happen to pay attention to other people's cultures and their preferences and beliefs from a personal interest standpoint).

Coworker was making an offensive joke about a Hindu coworker and certain things extremists from other religions can get up to. I pointed out to her that he was Hindu, not Muslim and it was an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT RELIGION. She had no idea. Sigh. (I didn't bother to get into the whole offensiveness of her joke in the first place, it would have gone right over her head about why that was wrong as well).

Had to explain to another coworker that offering the Hindu coworker halaal options for an office catering thing was kinda pointless, since he didn't care if it was halaal, he just didn't want to eat beef.  :-X

Egad.  I had to give my mother the same explanation once (although she didn't make offensive jokes).  Considering that she never believed a word I said since I was 5, this was virtually useless.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1074 on: November 29, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »

This reminds me of all the Darwin awards for people doing similar things, like dousing their hair in petrol (a homemade lice treatment or something).
It makes you wonder how so many people like this survive to adulthood at all. I shudder to think about these kinds of stupidly reckless things.

Kerosene was a common remedy for lice long ago.

So was petrol (gas). In fact when Frau Benz took the first car out for a drive and needed to refuel she went to a pharmacy- and bought their entire supply of petrol. Two whole litres of headlice treatment.

Personally, I'll stick with combs and otc treatments...
NE England

kckgirl

« Reply #1075 on: November 29, 2013, 07:59:50 AM »
Personally, I'll stick with combs and otc treatments...

We stick with combs and mayonnaise. The mayo is cheap and was recommended by our doctor. It leaves hair soft and conditioned, and we also found that the nits were easier to comb out. Fortunately, when the kids got out of elementary school, the problem mostly went away for us.

I can't imagine putting kerosene in my hair!
Maryland

finecabernet

« Reply #1076 on: November 29, 2013, 12:37:21 PM »
I did once have to explain which was the lesser than sign and which was the greater than sign to a co-worker.

And once a long time ago, I had to tell a customer that there were 52 weeks in a year (when she wondered why her 32-week subscription had stopped coming).

But of course I can't throw stones. I didn't realize that the Kinks song "Lola" was about a transvestite until I was in my 20s. And it took an episode of "Gilmore Girls" to show me "lefty loosey, righty tighty."

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1077 on: November 29, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
I was congratulated on my English by a woman in North Carolina after she asked me where I was from and told her 'England'. She was totally serious.

Ugh. Sometimes I am embarrassed by my fellow countrymen. It reminds me of when someone asked how I'd communicate with people when I went to Canada. 'Cuz they ALL speak french, dontcha know?  :P

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1078 on: November 29, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
I did once have to explain which was the lesser than sign and which was the greater than sign to a co-worker.

And once a long time ago, I had to tell a customer that there were 52 weeks in a year (when she wondered why her 32-week subscription had stopped coming).

But of course I can't throw stones. I didn't realize that the Kinks song "Lola" was about a transvestite until I was in my 20s. And it took an episode of "Gilmore Girls" to show me "lefty loosey, righty tighty."

Your post reminded me of the argument I had with my late MIL. She thought that we lived in the (then) 19th century...because it was 198-something! She refused to believe that it was the 20th century.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1079 on: November 29, 2013, 02:54:10 PM »
<snip>

I actually read this in Readers Digest years ago.  And it's not always true, as I found out when fixing the toilet.  (Oh, and make sure you always turn off the water to the toilet or the faucet you're working on.  Don't ask me how I know this.)