Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 288586 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1080 on: November 29, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
I had to call my health insurance to try to get a new provider today, as we just moved into a new area.  So she looked me up by zipcode, and said, "Okay, it looks like there's an opening at Dover."  I'd never heard of a city/town named Dover near me, so I said, "Where's Dover?"  Her: "You know, Dover, Delaware."  Me: "Uh... DELAWARE?  I'm supposed to go to DELAWARE for a doctor?"  Her: <unsure>  "Are you... near the border with Delaware, maybe?"  Me: "<MyState> doesn't share a border with Delaware!" 

It doesn't *really* fall under "an adult should really know this," (maybe more of a "the computer system should know this!") because for all I know she lives out west and how would she know how close the East Coast states are... but I thought it funny enough that I needed to post it *somewhere*.  For the record, the healthcare facility that was coming up in Dover would have been at least a 4-5 hour drive to see a doctor.  It did manage to come up with a second choice that was, at least, in the neighboring state, but still too far.  Turned out to be a system problem and a restart fixed it.

I ran into a similar problem one year with a house insurance policy.  I found that my rates had been raised because the company didn't know where the small town where I lived actually was located.

I have an update on this!  I'm in Virginia, by the way.  So, I had a conversation with a military vet at Thanksgiving dinner, and he was complaining about military health insurance, so I told him this story.  He said, "Well, yes, Dover is crazy far from you, but Virginia *does* share a border with Delaware.  On the Eastern Shore, you know."  He lives in Maryland, by the way.  I said I was pretty sure that Maryland was between them and they didn't touch.  He wasn't so sure, but he was pretty sure that they were at least like 20 minutes away.  I was curious enough to look it up just now, and no, Virginia and Delaware do not share a border, and it's about an hour between them on the Eastern Shore.  Heh.  Knew it.  :)

cwm

« Reply #1081 on: November 29, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »
Your post reminded me of the argument I had with my late MIL. She thought that we lived in the (then) 19th century...because it was 198-something! She refused to believe that it was the 20th century.

I have problems with this still. I have to mentally think "Okay, 1990s were 20th century, so 15th century is...not 1600s, that's wrong. 1400s. Yes? Is that right? Yes. Okay then."

Every time. And half the time I still get it wrong.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1082 on: November 29, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
The reason why the house insurance was such an issue was because of rate raises after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 that about leveled parts of San Francisco.  The person I talked to apparently thought that there were only two cities in California - San Francisco and Los Angeles.  That a large percentage of California was nowhere near either of these places didn't occur to them. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1083 on: November 30, 2013, 01:25:44 AM »
(Oh, and make sure you always turn off the water to the toilet or the faucet you're working on.  Don't ask me how I know this.)

I bet it was the same way I found out  ;D

BarensMom

« Reply #1084 on: November 30, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
The reason why the house insurance was such an issue was because of rate raises after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 that about leveled parts of San Francisco.  The person I talked to apparently thought that there were only two cities in California - San Francisco and Los Angeles.  That a large percentage of California was nowhere near either of these places didn't occur to them.

Tell me about it - our homeowner's rates were raised significantly after 1989.  Of course, the fact that the hills around our house have a bad habit of slipping and sliding might have something to do with it.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1085 on: November 30, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
I just remembered one. I was hanging out with my best friend back then and her aunt. We were about 13. So we were at her aunts house and her aunt had to give the dog medicine. She did the ol' hide the pill in some tasty food trick. She hid it in sliced bologna. Well, it was those slices with the red plastic on the outside.

She didn't take the plastic off. At least not the first one. 13 year olf me piped up with "You know you have to take that red stuff of right? Its plastic."

No, she hadn't known. And her kids and herself had probably been eating it as well :O

DangerousKitten

« Reply #1086 on: November 30, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
Yes, there really is a Sheriff of Nottingham.
Well, there *was*. The closest thing now would be the High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire. And it's a ceremonial title, these guys are not law enforcement officers.

When I was a kid I was hanging out in a park in I think Baltimore while my dad did some work thing at the local University. I ended up chatting to a kid about my age (12) who, on finding out I was British, asked if I lived in a castle. Also if we had TV over there.

Barney girl

« Reply #1087 on: November 30, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
I've just checked as I live in Lincoln, about 40 miles away, and we have a sheriff as well as the High Sheriff of Lincolnshire. Nottingham is the same.
http://www.nottinghampost.com/New-Lord-Mayor-Sheriff-Nottingham-announced/story-18677655-detail/story.html

Mergatroyd

« Reply #1088 on: November 30, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
I live in North Central Alberta. It is recommended that one plug in one's vehicle block heater only if the temperatures are going below -15C. I have to bite my tongue to keep from telling the (somewhere in the condo complex) neighbor with two vehicles that he does not have to plug his cars in as soon as, and as long as, there is snow on the ground.

Don't get me started on remote car starters and greenhouse gases!!

I take it you've never gone to bed with it -5 and woken up to -45? Welcome to Whitehorse!  >:D
It's actually pretty common though, we lived in North East BC for several years and a drop of 20 degrees overnight was pretty normal. We plugged our vehicles in from November to March. (Of course, most of that time it actually was -20 or colder, but it did warm up occasionally!) I'm actually surprised that it doesn't happen in North Alberta as well?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1089 on: November 30, 2013, 11:53:51 PM »
Today I had to tell someone who is literally old enough to be my mother (because her youngest daughter is my age!) that real butter is sold in both salted and unsalted versions.

I don't think that this is that outrageous.  In some communities it can be hard to find unsalted butter.

greencat

« Reply #1090 on: December 01, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
Today I had to tell someone who is literally old enough to be my mother (because her youngest daughter is my age!) that real butter is sold in both salted and unsalted versions.

I don't think that this is that outrageous.  In some communities it can be hard to find unsalted butter.

She's lived in two big cities in the same region of the US for most of her life.  She's lived in our city for about 8-9 years.  It's definitely not hard to find here!

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #1091 on: December 01, 2013, 04:13:11 AM »
I worded that awkwardly, Mergatroyd - we plug in when the Environment Canada website is predicting such lows - and when our arthritic joints talk to us, since E.C. isn't clairvoyant. If I'm suspecting a drop, I'll plug in, but not turn the breaker supplying power to the outdoor plug-in on until 1-2 hours before I have to drive the car.

Don't you love the days when you drive to work in balmy 2C, but drive home in -20 and snow with howling winds? Or those mornings after a freezing rain + heavy snowfall when you have to brush & scrape the car windows?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1092 on: December 01, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »

She's lived in two big cities in the same region of the US for most of her life.  She's lived in our city for about 8-9 years.  It's definitely not hard to find here!

It's right next to the salted butter in all the grocery stores where I live.  ???

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1093 on: December 01, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »
Your post reminded me of the argument I had with my late MIL. She thought that we lived in the (then) 19th century...because it was 198-something! She refused to believe that it was the 20th century.

I have problems with this still. I have to mentally think "Okay, 1990s were 20th century, so 15th century is...not 1600s, that's wrong. 1400s. Yes? Is that right? Yes. Okay then."

Every time. And half the time I still get it wrong.

It's easy to remember if you think of it this way: 1900s = 20th century, 1800s = 19th c., etc. The number goes up by 1 for the 'century.'

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1094 on: December 01, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
Yes, there really is a Sheriff of Nottingham.
Well, there *was*. The closest thing now would be the High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire. And it's a ceremonial title, these guys are not law enforcement officers.

When I was a kid I was hanging out in a park in I think Baltimore while my dad did some work thing at the local University. I ended up chatting to a kid about my age (12) who, on finding out I was British, asked if I lived in a castle. Also if we had TV over there.

Ugh. That reminds me of when we had an exchange student from Finland visit my jr. high social studies class. The kids asked questions like, Do you have electricity and Do you have running water:o