Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 311772 times)

Mergatroyd

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1095 on: December 01, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
I worded that awkwardly, Mergatroyd - we plug in when the Environment Canada website is predicting such lows - and when our arthritic joints talk to us, since E.C. isn't clairvoyant. If I'm suspecting a drop, I'll plug in, but not turn the breaker supplying power to the outdoor plug-in on until 1-2 hours before I have to drive the car.

Don't you love the days when you drive to work in balmy 2C, but drive home in -20 and snow with howling winds? Or those mornings after a freezing rain + heavy snowfall when you have to brush & scrape the car windows?

I think I'm scarred for life about having to shovel a six foot wide frozen solid windrow at -40 while six months pregnant just to get my car back in the driveway actually. I was so thankful when the city invested in industrial snowblowers that followed the Grader and Plow trucks around.

I bet we could compare notes about having to enter the vehicles on the side that's out of the wind because the lock and latch are frozen solid as well. Good times!  ::)

Actually, the one cold snap I remember best, the mercury didn't rise at all. The temp dropped so fast the diesel hose froze and when we tried to fill up the truck it snapped right in two. Good thing we hadn't turned the pump on yet.

My contribution to the thread involves myself, sadly. I returned a movie to one of those red box things for my MIL. I had to ask for help as I could NOT figure it out. Of course it turned out to be really simple, if you used the touch screen. *headthunk* How many times have
I told the kids to read the directions? Fail!

Jocelyn

« Reply #1096 on: December 01, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
Yes, there really is a Sheriff of Nottingham.
Well, there *was*. The closest thing now would be the High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire. And it's a ceremonial title, these guys are not law enforcement officers.

When I was a kid I was hanging out in a park in I think Baltimore while my dad did some work thing at the local University. I ended up chatting to a kid about my age (12) who, on finding out I was British, asked if I lived in a castle. Also if we had TV over there.

Ugh. That reminds me of when we had an exchange student from Finland visit my jr. high social studies class. The kids asked questions like, Do you have electricity and Do you have running water:o
Better than the questions you get as a historical re-enactor. The little kids are OK, and the high-schoolers have some couth, but junior highs? Be prepared for anything. They're particularly interested in personal hygiene. The most amazing was the assembly where the girls inquired about very personal hygiene matters. Fortunately, I can handle questions like that.  ::)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1097 on: December 01, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »
Standing in line for the movies last night and we overheard a man telling his wife about an post he'd seen on an IT help forum.
The person wanted to know why the animated .gif they had printed off wasn't moving.  :o

I turned around with my jaw dropped and said "I didn't' t mean to overhear but....did you tell them because this is not Harry Potter and our pictures don't move?"

I then recounted a conversation I had the day before. My friend was telling about a classmate who had just returned from her *second* school trip to Europe - including stops in France and Spain.
The student did not realize that the language spoken in France was...French. She was equally surprised to learn that the language spoke in Spain was Spanish.

I looked at the pre-teens in that family and pleaded "Please, stay in school- and learn things!"

Margo

« Reply #1098 on: December 01, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
A Spanish friend of my sister's taught in the US for a few years. She said that an astonishingly (and depressingly) high number of her students would not believe that she was from Europe and that Spanish was her native language. They believed that anyone who spoke Spanish as a first language was from South America, and refused to believe otherwise. She said that about half of them would be sure that Spain was in South America, and the other half would accept that Spain was a country in Europe but not the people there spoke Spanish as their native language.  These were High  School students.

Mind you, a colleague of mine tried to persuade me not to to travel to the USA by myself on the basis that I would inevitably be shot the second I arrived. I was not able to convince her that visiting New York (even alone) was unlikely to kill me.

BB-VA

« Reply #1099 on: December 01, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »
About the gasoline comments earlier in the thread.

Anybody besides me ever read A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter?  It was published early in the 20th century, when automobiles were for amusement more than for transporation.  According to Wikipedia, it was published in 1909.

The main character (the Girl in the title) makes part of her living by collecting and selling moths.  A friend finds one of the moths she is looking for at a country club dance.  He catches the moth, then runs to the country club office demanding the following so that the moth can be sent by express:

An ounce of gasoline
A cigar box
A cork
Glue

AND HE GETS ALL OF THEM IMMEDIATELY.

I can see having the last 3 items on hand, but that ounce of gasoline has boggled me for years.  And I have to wonder what that box smelled like when Elnora (the Girl) opened it next day. 

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1100 on: December 01, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
A Spanish friend of my sister's taught in the US for a few years. She said that an astonishingly (and depressingly) high number of her students would not believe that she was from Europe and that Spanish was her native language. They believed that anyone who spoke Spanish as a first language was from South America, and refused to believe otherwise. She said that about half of them would be sure that Spain was in South America, and the other half would accept that Spain was a country in Europe but not the people there spoke Spanish as their native language.  These were High  School students.

If you really want to be pedantic, in Spain the official language isn't Spanish it's Castilian.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1101 on: December 01, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »

Anybody besides me ever read A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter?  ...

LOL!  Yes, I did read that book.  Sadly, at the time I was much too young (and naive) to honestly understand it once it got to what I considered to be the 'romantic' parts so I'm afraid much of the story was a little limberlost on my little soul.   ;D

All I remember of the book was that the girl's mother was very mean to her.

Betelnut

« Reply #1102 on: December 01, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »

Anybody besides me ever read A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter?  ...

LOL!  Yes, I did read that book.  Sadly, at the time I was much too young (and naive) to honestly understand it once it got to what I considered to be the 'romantic' parts so I'm afraid much of the story was a little limberlost on my little soul.   ;D

Another "Limberlost" fan here!  I read it several times as a kid and then fairly recently.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

BB-VA

« Reply #1103 on: December 01, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »

Don't worry, they made up.  The book is on Project Gutenberg.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Jocelyn

« Reply #1104 on: December 01, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »

Anybody besides me ever read A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter?  It was published early in the 20th century, when automobiles were for amusement more than for transporation.  According to Wikipedia, it was published in 1909.

The main character (the Girl in the title) makes part of her living by collecting and selling moths.  A friend finds one of the moths she is looking for at a country club dance.  He catches the moth, then runs to the country club office demanding the following so that the moth can be sent by express:

An ounce of gasoline
A cigar box
A cork
Glue

I can see having the last 3 items on hand, but that ounce of gasoline has boggled me for years.  And I have to wonder what that box smelled like when Elnora (the Girl) opened it next day.

Did they hand him a 1 oz. bottle of gasoline that was in the office? Because I could imagine a country club catering to its rich customers by having gasoline in a tank on the premises, in case they were running low.

marcel

« Reply #1105 on: December 01, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »

If you really want to be pedantic, in Spain the official language isn't Spanish it's Castilian.
That is just different words for the same language, so the language is still Spanish, the word for it is Castilian. Of the Spanish speaking latin American countries, some use the term Spanish, others Castilian, the language is still the same.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1106 on: December 01, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Spanish in Spain is slightly different to Spanish in Latin America, or so I have heard.

magicdomino

« Reply #1107 on: December 01, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »
Spanish in Spain is slightly different to Spanish in Latin America, or so I have heard.

Rather like the difference between British English and American English, including all of the different dialects of each one.  We mostly understand each other, but every once in a while it's "Huh?"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1108 on: December 01, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
I worded that awkwardly, Mergatroyd - we plug in when the Environment Canada website is predicting such lows - and when our arthritic joints talk to us, since E.C. isn't clairvoyant. If I'm suspecting a drop, I'll plug in, but not turn the breaker supplying power to the outdoor plug-in on until 1-2 hours before I have to drive the car.
We were in a motel parking lot in Montana when a tourist said "I didn't know that people here were so ecologically conscious!  Look, there are all these plugs for people's electric cars!" 

Yep, we enlightened them.  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mergatroyd

« Reply #1109 on: December 01, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »

An ounce of gasoline
A cigar box
A cork
Glue

Yes I've read that! I think I even own it. If i don't, my mother does. I don't remember her making her living like that though, I think she was just collecting them? My memory fails me. A lovely story.