Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 287610 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1110 on: December 01, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »
Spanish in Spain is slightly different to Spanish in Latin America, or so I have heard.

And French in France versus French in Quebec and other parts of Canada.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1111 on: December 01, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
Today I had to tell someone who is literally old enough to be my mother (because her youngest daughter is my age!) that real butter is sold in both salted and unsalted versions.

I don't think that this is that outrageous.  In some communities it can be hard to find unsalted butter.
I do t think it's outrageous either. If your not a baker, there really is very limited need to buy unsalted.

greencat

« Reply #1112 on: December 01, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »
Today I had to tell someone who is literally old enough to be my mother (because her youngest daughter is my age!) that real butter is sold in both salted and unsalted versions.

I don't think that this is that outrageous.  In some communities it can be hard to find unsalted butter.
I do t think it's outrageous either. If your not a baker, there really is very limited need to buy unsalted.

My family always bought unsalted for table use, and a lot of people buy it to avoid the sodium intake...actually, that was how it came up.  She made a comment about how much salt was in real butter (compared to tub margarine.)

BB-VA

« Reply #1113 on: December 01, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
About the gasoline comments earlier in the thread.

Anybody besides me ever read A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter?  It was published early in the 20th century, when automobiles were for amusement more than for transporation.  According to Wikipedia, it was published in 1909.

The main character (the Girl in the title) makes part of her living by collecting and selling moths.  A friend finds one of the moths she is looking for at a country club dance.  He catches the moth, then runs to the country club office demanding the following so that the moth can be sent by express:

An ounce of gasoline
A cigar box
A cork
Glue

AND HE GETS ALL OF THEM IMMEDIATELY.

I can see having the last 3 items on hand, but that ounce of gasoline has boggled me for years.  And I have to wonder what that box smelled like when Elnora (the Girl) opened it next day.

Yes I've read that! I think I even own it. If i don't, my mother does. I don't remember her making her living like that though, I think she was just collecting them? My memory fails me. A lovely story.

She paid her school expenses with her collections (high school required tuition), and was making another collection hoping to get enough to go to college.   She did so well in high school they hired her as a teacher.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1114 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »

Even before I became a baker, my family only purchased unsalted butter for the house. 

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1115 on: December 01, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »
Spanish in Latin America is different from Spanish in Latin America, too--Mexican Spanish is different from Puerto Rican Spanish is different from Ecuadoran Spanish and so on (I'm told the differences between Mexican and most of the others are larger than the differences between those non-Mexican dialects).

Some of us just like unsalted butter on our bread. On the rare occasions I want salt and butter on bread, I add them separately. It's mostly what you grew up with, I think.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1116 on: December 01, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Spanish in Spain is slightly different to Spanish in Latin America, or so I have heard.

Rather like the difference between British English and American English, including all of the different dialects of each one.  We mostly understand each other, but every once in a while it's "Huh?"
I had a Columbian and a Castilian as my Spanish teachers in college. When I went into class with Gumer, I thought it was incredibly odd that the university would hire a man with a lisp as a language teacher. Then I realized he didn't lisp when speaking English.  ;D Apparently a difference in how Spanish is pronounced in Europe and in South America.

Vall

« Reply #1117 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
We do very little baking but we always buy unsalted butter.  I've never really understood why there would need to be salt in butter.  I don't know if I could taste the difference much between salted or unsalted so I just do without the salt.  If a recipe specifically called for salted butter, couldn't I just add a bit of salt?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1118 on: December 01, 2013, 10:29:54 PM »

Rather like the difference between British English and American English, including all of the different dialects of each one.  We mostly understand each other, but every once in a while it's "Huh?"
I had a Columbian and a Castilian as my Spanish teachers in college. When I went into class with Gumer, I thought it was incredibly odd that the university would hire a man with a lisp as a language teacher. Then I realized he didn't lisp when speaking English.  ;D Apparently a difference in how Spanish is pronounced in Europe and in South America.

The story goes that Ricardo Montalban (Khan in Star Trek, Mr. Rourke in the original Fantasy Island, and the voice of the car with seats of REAL "Corinthian leather") was born & raised in Spain, then moved to Mexico with his parents.

Where his mother made him wear his clothes from Spain (knee britches instead of what everyone else was wearing - so he came across with two issues - lisping Castillian accent and his mother dressed him "funny" - he got beaten up a few times....).  I have to wonder how much that influenced his desire to go into acting...where he'd get PAID for dressing differently from everyone else!

I figure that it's like the difference between someone from the UK or "down under" speaking compared to the way Americans speak - a "national" accent instead of the regional accent that I grew up with in Texas.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Carotte

« Reply #1119 on: December 02, 2013, 06:45:32 AM »

As PP have said there is the difference in accent and some vocabulary. There is also the fact that Spain has both Castillan (spanish as we know it) and Catalan (Catalonia was in part of Spain and of France). The friend I had in Barcelona spoke both (he had to during his schooling) and they're nothing alike.
I forgot all I know about who speaks what "officially" or not and the complex history surrounding it. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1120 on: December 02, 2013, 07:22:09 AM »
It probably also influenced Montalban to have the macho image he had.  He was an excellent swordsman as well.

All the 20+ countries where Spanish is the official language have regional variations in accent and vernacular.  Nobody knows all the terms.  However, on television accents are flattening out and more actors are adopting the "Eastern Standard Spanish" sound I learned from Televisa novelas.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1121 on: December 02, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »
Spanish in Latin America is different from Spanish in Latin America, too--Mexican Spanish is different from Puerto Rican Spanish is different from Ecuadoran Spanish and so on (I'm told the differences between Mexican and most of the others are larger than the differences between those non-Mexican dialects).

My folks had a Mexican housecleaner for a number of years (from Mexico but I don't know if she is a resident alien or a citizen) and my father- who is fairly fluent in Spanish- tried  to have conversations with her but gave up because her Spanish was so full of Indian words and Indian/Spanish amalgamations that he said sometimes she was completely unintelligible to him.

Years ago I worked at a hotel here and one night had to try and explain that room X needed more hangers. I am terrible at Spanish and realized that in any case in school we learned Spain Spanish and even if I could remember the word hanger God only knows what it is in Peruvian andino Spanish. So I rummaged in a closet and found one. It turns out it's gancho.

BB-VA

« Reply #1122 on: December 02, 2013, 07:47:39 AM »
I worked for a company that had Spanish speakers from Mexico, Peru, El Salvador, and Argentina, to name a few countires of origin.    Then an assistant HR manager from Spain was added to the mix.   There were definite dialect issues, especially when the HR person did translations.

I did  take a 6-week conversational Spanish course given by the company.  I asked the teacher (Puerto Rican lady) for words to avoid.  She said it would be impossible to tell me all of them in all the different dialects.   Her job was to teach very basic words that were common to all (body parts, asking for help, etc.).  Sadly, it didn't stick too well.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1123 on: December 02, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »
We do very little baking but we always buy unsalted butter.  I've never really understood why there would need to be salt in butter.  I don't know if I could taste the difference much between salted or unsalted so I just do without the salt.  If a recipe specifically called for salted butter, couldn't I just add a bit of salt?
To me salt in butter is the same reason you put salt in sweets, it enhances the flavor. I do not like the taste of unsalted butter as a spread and wouldn't think to serve it that way unless serving to someone on a salt restricted diet. To me it's like eating unsalted scrambled eggs. It just tastes flat.

Hillia

« Reply #1124 on: December 02, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »
Our recycling center is all volunteer run, and set up like a drive through.  The cardboard baler is the first stop you come to; you can bypass it if you don't have any cardboard.  Boxes have to be flattened before being tossed them into the cardboard baler. Every week there are at least 2 people grumpily standing off to the side breaking down their cardboard boxes for the baler.  If we're lucky the line can keep moving past them, if they haven't also parked the giant SUV in the middle of the driveway.  It seems odd to me that so many people don't realize the boxes have to be broken down; the bales of cardboard coming out of the baler are clearly composed of flattened boxes packed together, not random blobs of cardboard.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools