Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 212817 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1185 on: December 03, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Ohhhh I just laughed drink out my nose!

Polly

« Reply #1186 on: December 03, 2013, 06:45:27 PM »
An acquaintance of mine from the UK visited the South Island of New Zealand in winter and hated her entire three weeks in the country because the weather was not hot enough. Fair enough, bad weather can interfere with travel plans or other activities,  but further conversation revealed that the weather had been typical for the climate and time of year, and in fact she believed that everywhere 'abroad' was hot and she and her boyfriend had previously discussed moving to Canada 'because he liked hillwalking and she liked hot weather'. She got a bit annoyed with me when I tried to explain.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #1187 on: December 03, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
An acquaintance of mine from the UK visited the South Island of New Zealand in winter and hated her entire three weeks in the country because the weather was not hot enough. Fair enough, bad weather can interfere with travel plans or other activities,  but further conversation revealed that the weather had been typical for the climate and time of year, and in fact she believed that everywhere 'abroad' was hot and she and her boyfriend had previously discussed moving to Canada 'because he liked hillwalking and she liked hot weather'. She got a bit annoyed with me when I tried to explain.

:o

Well, I think that's finally done it. My brain has officially left the building. What would one say to that? "Have you you-tubed Canada lately, then? You know, before you move."

Polly

« Reply #1188 on: December 03, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »

Well, I think that's finally done it. My brain has officially left the building. What would one say to that? "Have you you-tubed Canada lately, then? You know, before you move."
Well it was a few years ago so maybe You Tube wasn't on  her radar...but it didn't predate...like, atlases and stuff :-)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:05:40 PM by Polly »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1189 on: December 03, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
Sis had the kids a few yards from a black bear - they were in their cabin in Taos. Woke up and there was a bear eating the fruit out of a tree in the front yard.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1190 on: December 03, 2013, 09:03:11 PM »

Well it was a few years ago so maybe You Tube wasn't on  her radar...but it didn't predate...like, atlases and stuff :-)

And considering there are people who get off the plane in Toronto and expect us to be living in igloos, that's just outright bizarre!  Buddy of mine was stopped by some tourists in July, hauling snowmobiles.  They asked them how much further they'd have to drive to get to the snow!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1191 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
I hike in Shenandoah NP and the GWNF there are black bears everywhere.  My personal record was 5 of them in one day.  The first was hanging out on the side of skyline drive foraging for food.  The second was moseying on down the trail in front of us.  The third, fourth, and fifth was a Mama and 2 cubs below us.  That one was really scary since we were less than 100 yards away from them.  Luckily, she would have had to scale a fairly sheer hill to get to us.  We just stayed real still until she left.

And back on topic.  On this same hike we met not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 groups of people who had come to that particular trail to go fishing.  The trail (Jeremy's Run) is known for having 22 water crossings and numerous pools along it's length.  However, going fishing..in the middle of summer...during high fire risk days because it hasn't rained in forever..and then getting upset because there's no water is a bit much to take.  Getting snippy because I tell you to head over to White Oak Canyon which is always running and full of water but is *gasp* 15 miles down Skyline drive is a bit much.  You wanna fish...go to water and you'll find some fish.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Mergatroyd

« Reply #1192 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »

And considering there are people who get off the plane in Toronto and expect us to be living in igloos, that's just outright bizarre!  Buddy of mine was stopped by some tourists in July, hauling snowmobiles.  They asked them how much further they'd have to drive to get to the snow!

Yeah, I wish I could say I've never heard the igloo one before. It's right up there with "You know Mike, from Canmore, right?" ;)

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #1193 on: December 04, 2013, 02:07:47 AM »
Darn it, Mergatroyd, you made me cry. BF and I loved John Morgan's comedic talent. Remember when he played Deb Gray, the MP?

A little more OT, newlywed niece & hubby encountered this guy http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/27/grizzly-that-ate-black-bear-forces-banff-to-close-off-area-while-he-devours-one-of-the-parks-elk while enjoying a pleasant day hike in Banff over the weekend.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1194 on: December 04, 2013, 02:42:42 AM »
Darn it, Mergatroyd, you made me cry. BF and I loved John Morgan's comedic talent. Remember when he played Deb Gray, the MP?

A little more OT, newlywed niece & hubby encountered this guy http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2013/11/27/grizzly-that-ate-black-bear-forces-banff-to-close-off-area-while-he-devours-one-of-the-parks-elk while enjoying a pleasant day hike in Banff over the weekend.

I'm pretty sure he's peeved at us humans constantly interrupting his week long meals :D
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Shalamar

« Reply #1195 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »
I haven't been asked about igloos (I live in Manitoba), but I was asked about whether I ever have to deal with polar bears on my morning commute. 

The funny thing is, I got a question to which the answer was indeed "Yes.  That has happened."  The question (from a couple from Arizona) was "Have you ever had snow so deep that it reached the rooftops?"  It didn't happen to my house, but a smaller house in my city.  It made the local newspaper.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #1196 on: December 04, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »

The man was hilarious, I miss that show, I wish they'd run re-runs of it.

If you go on the weather network page and look at weather pictures, there are currently a few that have pickups buried in the snow. :)

Bethczar

« Reply #1197 on: December 04, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure he's peeved at us humans constantly interrupting his week long meals :D
I love how in that picture he's gazing almost tenderly at the carcass.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #1198 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:26 PM »
Since we're talking about animals I have to share this:

I complimented a colleague the other day on her earrings - little metal seahorses. She admitted to me that she didn't realize seahorses were real and not fantasy creatures until she was about 13 years old.

Well, come to think about it...a strange floating not-fish called a "horse" that reproduces by the males carrying the babies in a pouch - it does almost sound made up doesn't it?  ;) ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1199 on: December 05, 2013, 05:11:58 AM »
Since we're talking about animals I have to share this:

I complimented a colleague the other day on her earrings - little metal seahorses. She admitted to me that she didn't realize seahorses were real and not fantasy creatures until she was about 13 years old.

Well, come to think about it...a strange floating not-fish called a "horse" that reproduces by the males carrying the babies in a pouch - it does almost sound made up doesn't it?  ;) ;D

There is indeed a strong "stranger than fiction" element about those beasts.  I've heard of a number of instances of people who, when young, thought that they were fantasy creatures. Have encountered it first-hand, actually; my ex-girlfriend held that misapprehension until she was in her thirties -- until she and I went to the zoo, and she saw seahorses for real.