Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 303651 times)

katycoo

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1260 on: December 07, 2013, 04:07:29 AM »
It is very common for Indonesians to use only one name. Which leads to Western newspaper stories about "General XYZ (who uses only one name)" or "Suharto (who used only one name)." In a previous job, I worked with a one-named man from southern India; for dealing with western publications and official paperwork, he used "L. Lastname," where Lastname was his given name and he was just repeating the initial, and signed everything with a nickname based on that.

My friend married an Indonesian who has only one name.  He duplicates it in full on Australian paperwork.  She took his name as her surname as well.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #1261 on: December 07, 2013, 04:25:07 AM »
When I was at university there were a couple of students where he was FirstName Father'sLastName and she was FirstName Mother'sLastName. I remember them as being from one of the Nordic countries but it was a long time ago and that may be wrong. Certainly they said that was normal for their culture, and that it was taking the university some time to comprehend that John Smith and Mary Jones were twins. it didn't help, or maybe it did, that while obviously they weren't identical twins, physically they were very much alike.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1262 on: December 07, 2013, 04:54:14 AM »
I remember one from when I was in junior high, so about 14 years old. We lived in a small Midwestern town. Quite a lot of things that seem mundane or obvious to me now were exotic back then. There was a foreign exchange student at the high school--from Sweden, I think--and she came to talk to us one day. We had no clue what Sweden was like! We probably couldn't find it on the map. If we thought anything about it, we probably thought it was really cold all the time, and had Vikings still. At one point she got a bit fed up with our inane questions and when someone asked, "Do you have jeans in Sweden?" she answered sarcastically, "No, we go around naked!"  >:D

It was actually quite enlightening for me, because I had never before considered that people in "foreign countries" often did things the same way we did in the US. In our classes there wasn't a big emphasis on current events, just history (plus all the "contemporary resources" were at least 20 years out of date), and when we did learn about something contemporary in another country, the "differentness" seemed to be the point. Like, "Look at the modern hunter-gatherers in Africa! Isn't it interesting how different cultures do things differently?" So you end up thinking everyone in Africa is a hunter-gatherer. Personally I always liked history/geography/culture, so additional study helped dispel some of those assumptions, but not everyone is interested in that.
I was born in the US and when I was ten ( in 1970) my family moved to israel. Each of my parents had been to israel once before we moved but us kids hadn't. They come back with souvenirs of little wooden camels and photos of desert and lots of ancient stones and Churches. *all* I knew about israel was what l learned in school - biblical stories. So while I hadn't completely understood what it was like, I was sort of expecting to see more camels and tents... Granted, in 1970 israel was still pretty behind in modernization, but we lived in a normal house with indoor plumbing and had a car

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1263 on: December 07, 2013, 05:02:55 AM »
Since Australian animals are currently on-topic . . .

I saw a TV commercial this evening for some smart phone, with a couple of guys talking about a shrink ray. One guy said it would be cool to shrink a bandicoot.  Then they all admitted they didn't know what a bandicoot is.

Hey, idiots -- you're standing there with smart phones.  Google it.

Actually, the people that need to be told this are the people who came up with the commercial and the company that's paying to air it.  It's not a great endorsement for the product.

I can't resist chiming in, being a great fan of bandicoots -- IMO delightful animals -- kind of mini-kangaroos / marsupial rabbit-equivalents.

Something I recently learnt, to my considerable surprise: there's an Asian animal which also has that name: the bandicoot rat or mole-rat, a type of large rat found in southern India and Sri Lanka. The name comes from the Telugu language: pandi-kokku, meaning "pig-rat" -- which the British in India corrupted to "bandicoot".  When British explorers and colonists reached Australia, they found local animals which reminded them of the Indian creature, so applied the name "bandicoot" to them. It sounds as though it ought to be an Australian Aboriginal word, but in fact isn't !

(If only I had the skill of posting links onto eHell, I'd do so !)

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #1264 on: December 07, 2013, 06:23:26 AM »
Okay, on Friday (Dec. 6) the coldest spot on the planet was....... Manning, Alberta at -39.8C!!!! And that's before the wind chill was factored in, which resulted in >-50C.

Welcome to winter in Northern Canada.

Tomorrow, we in Edmonton are expecting a balmy -19, but 60% chance of snow flurries late in the afternoon.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1265 on: December 07, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
That would make my area the unofficial 'Canadian tropics' - it is currently -5 here! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

goodwillgal

« Reply #1266 on: December 07, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
2 things that came up over last week with "educated" people
story 1- my SIL at Thanksgiving was surprised that nephew was spending thanksgiving weekend with new girlfriend celebrating Hanukkah  with her family (we are traditional Catholics) SILs response I didn't know she was half Jewish My  sisters comment- her family is Jewish (apparently SIL didn't know that Jewish people celebrate Thanksgiving ...

After returning to work last Monday at a staff meeting the yearly calender for 2014 was shared including a staff in-service on October 13th 2014 - . One staff member commented that she would not be there since she was going home for thanksgiving -puzzled looks all around as to how someone would be having Thanksgiving in October clearly no one has ever seen on a calender a notation for Canadian Thanksgiving (for the record- I didn't know this person was from Canada - but the boss should have since he hired her !!!

stkatie00

« Reply #1267 on: December 07, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »
My mind got boggled pretty early in life by a pair of twins I went to high school with.  I had to pull a complete list of our class for a grade-wide project, and...discovered that the twins were not only identical to look at, but their parents had given them both the same full legal name.  Their records had to be differentiated by their Social Security numbers, which were, of course, very very close together. 

Why in the heck would parents DO that?! Even if parents did that these days, ever since 2011 (I think around July), the Social Security Association started randomly generating Social Security Numbers, so at least nowadays, those numbers wouldn't be close.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1268 on: December 07, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
All the twins I deal with are age 18 or older and their SSN are sequential. I didn't know new ones were not.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #1269 on: December 07, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
I went to primary school, with twins.  One was called Marion Mary, and the other Mary Marion..  We called them both ' MM'

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1270 on: December 07, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
When I was in 7th grade, I won my school's spelling bee, and the resource teacher who ran the bee brought me to her office to call my parents and to get me signed up for the county-wide spelling bee.  She was *astounded* that my SS number was so similar to hers.  They both started with the same first 5 numbers.  Well, the first 3 are for what area your card was assigned in (or, at least, they used to be, no idea if this has changed).  I have no idea what the middle two numbers are, but a lot of people I know have the same middle numbers, even if all numbers are different.  So, yes, we had 5 digits alike, but it wasn't exactly a shock that we would do so, apparently both being born in the same geographical area, which we still lived in.  The last 4 were completely different.

Of course, my mother and brother have SS numbers that are only a few digits apart, despite being born decades apart!

Jocelyn

« Reply #1271 on: December 08, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »
All the twins I deal with are age 18 or older and their SSN are sequential. I didn't know new ones were not.
My sisters and I have consecutive SSNs; we got them as kids, long before the government required children to have them, because we were opening savings accounts at the bank. It's been quite handy over the years, in that our parents might need to use them for something, and they only had to ask one of us to get all 3 numbers. :) But it was a hassle when my sister and I worked for the same company, and someone got our timesheets mixed up...

Pen^2

« Reply #1272 on: December 08, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
When I was in 7th grade, I won my school's spelling bee, and the resource teacher who ran the bee brought me to her office to call my parents and to get me signed up for the county-wide spelling bee.  She was *astounded* that my SS number was so similar to hers.  They both started with the same first 5 numbers.  Well, the first 3 are for what area your card was assigned in (or, at least, they used to be, no idea if this has changed).  I have no idea what the middle two numbers are, but a lot of people I know have the same middle numbers, even if all numbers are different.  So, yes, we had 5 digits alike, but it wasn't exactly a shock that we would do so, apparently both being born in the same geographical area, which we still lived in.  The last 4 were completely different.

Of course, my mother and brother have SS numbers that are only a few digits apart, despite being born decades apart!

My MIL met her best friend in a similar way--they both have uncannily similar tax file numbers (similar to SS numbers), were born on the same day during the same minute (but in different countries), have sons with the same first name, etc.

Someone trying to contact MIL for whatever official thing ended up contacting the other lady instead (did I mention that at the time, their phone numbers were different by only 2 digits?) This kept happening until they were eventually both called to come in for something and only one was needed, so they met in the waiting room. They've been friends since.

Tosca

« Reply #1273 on: December 08, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »
I had someone ask me whether my baby was a boy or a girl.

The baby was naked at the time  :o.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1274 on: December 08, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »
This was back when I was in college, but it really is a thing that adults should know.  I shared an apartment with another girl who had a boyfriend that was over all the time.  One day while I was in classes, she and her boyfriend rearranged the living room and kitchen.  I didn't really care about the redecorating, but it was hard to find some stuff.  I couldn't find the bread at all, for one thing! 

I turned on the oven to preheat for whatever I was going to make and started pulling out ingredients for it.  About two minutes later, I asked the two of them if they smelled anything funny.  The boyfriend shot out of his chair and ran over to the stove, which he pulled open.  There was the bread (all wrapped and everything).  After pulling it out, he started to berate me for not checking the oven before I turned it on to preheat; after all, lots of people stored things in their ovens!  I looked straight at him and said, "If you change where something is being stored, you need to let people know!  I've never known anyone to store food in the oven."

Honestly, I thought at the time (and still think, for that matter) that this should be intuitively obvious.  Storing bread, or any food, in the oven when that hasn't previously been the case is something that maybe you should tell people about!