Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 293167 times)

Bethczar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1275 on: December 08, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
I had someone ask me whether my baby was a boy or a girl.

The baby was naked at the time  :o.
You should really get your baby to the doctor  ;)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1276 on: December 08, 2013, 08:15:47 PM »

I must spend too much time on Twitter; I immediately started looking for a "FAVORITE" button.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1277 on: December 08, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »
This was back when I was in college, but it really is a thing that adults should know.  I shared an apartment with another girl who had a boyfriend that was over all the time.  One day while I was in classes, she and her boyfriend rearranged the living room and kitchen.  I didn't really care about the redecorating, but it was hard to find some stuff.  I couldn't find the bread at all, for one thing! 

I turned on the oven to preheat for whatever I was going to make and started pulling out ingredients for it.  About two minutes later, I asked the two of them if they smelled anything funny.  The boyfriend shot out of his chair and ran over to the stove, which he pulled open.  There was the bread (all wrapped and everything).  After pulling it out, he started to berate me for not checking the oven before I turned it on to preheat; after all, lots of people stored things in their ovens!  I looked straight at him and said, "If you change where something is being stored, you need to let people know!  I've never known anyone to store food in the oven."

Honestly, I thought at the time (and still think, for that matter) that this should be intuitively obvious.  Storing bread, or any food, in the oven when that hasn't previously been the case is something that maybe you should tell people about!

…The only things that should be stored in the oven are things that WON'T BE DAMAGED IF THE OVEN IS TURNED ON. Like baking sheets! He seriously thought it was okay to put stuff in the oven and then blame YOU when you didn't psychically divine that he'd done it? :o

I suppose I shouldn't be this surprised, really, given that in the past I've read about a police officer who accidentally baked his issue revolver (http://www.annarbor.com/news/oven-safe-to-350-degrees/), a young woman who got shot by the oven where her friend had stored his ammo (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/21/17045722-woman-shot-by-oven-while-trying-to-cook-waffles), and the Victorian police force (Victoria in Australia, that is) issue a gun safety code that specifically tells you not to dry your ammo in the oven (http://www.police.vic.gov.au/files/documents/390_Firearms-Safety-Code.pdf).
"Set aphasia to stun!"

andi

« Reply #1278 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
I wouldn't expect everyone here (in a warmer climate) to know this except it's been all over the news for 3 days (and every time it gets cold here):  do not pour HOT water over your vehicle windshield in order to thaw it. If you're in that much off a hurry - COLD water only

I had to stop my neighbor yesterday.  She was just about to do the back window - not a good time to have a cracked / shattered window

squeakers

« Reply #1279 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »

I have a great-nephew that you couldn't tell if he was a boy or girl until he was old enough you wouldn't see him naked.  Physical differences are what makes the world go around  8)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Pen^2

« Reply #1280 on: December 08, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »

This reminds me of a friend of mine from school. When she was born, she didn't breathe for a brief spell. Obviously she eventually did and it was all fine, but until then, she turned blue. Her father, who was in the room, shouted happily at his suffocating newborn, "Oh look! Blue means it's a boy!"

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1281 on: December 08, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »

The baby was naked at the time  :o .
Was this an adult?  Because I think that's only allowable if the person asking is under 10 and does not know that the other sex is built differently from their own.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1282 on: December 09, 2013, 04:21:10 AM »
When I was at university there were a couple of students where he was FirstName Father'sLastName and she was FirstName Mother'sLastName. I remember them as being from one of the Nordic countries but it was a long time ago and that may be wrong. Certainly they said that was normal for their culture, and that it was taking the university some time to comprehend that John Smith and Mary Jones were twins. it didn't help, or maybe it did, that while obviously they weren't identical twins, physically they were very much alike.
They might have been from Iceland, where the children's last name is their parent's first name with a suffix specifying -son or -dottir (daughter).

So John Smith and Mary Brown's children would be named Bob Johnson and Sally Johnsdottir (i.e. John's daughter). Bob Johnson's children in turn would have the lastname Bobson or Bobsdottir.

It could be that the parents decided to split the naming between the two parent's so the son has the father's name (Bob Johnson) but the sister had the mothers name (Sally Marysdottir).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1283 on: December 09, 2013, 04:52:18 AM »
I went to primary school, with twins.  One was called Marion Mary, and the other Mary Marion..  We called them both ' MM'

At my, all-male, school, there were identical twins called R.P. [last name]  and R.P.G. [last name].  It was an old-fashioned school, with standard practice for pupils to go by their last names only; I wasn't well acquainted with them, and never knew their given names.  It would seem on the face of it, though -- as with your MMs -- that the parents had been intent on "making confusion yet more confounded".

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1284 on: December 09, 2013, 05:00:53 AM »
When I was at university there were a couple of students where he was FirstName Father'sLastName and she was FirstName Mother'sLastName. I remember them as being from one of the Nordic countries but it was a long time ago and that may be wrong. Certainly they said that was normal for their culture, and that it was taking the university some time to comprehend that John Smith and Mary Jones were twins. it didn't help, or maybe it did, that while obviously they weren't identical twins, physically they were very much alike.
They might have been from Iceland, where the children's last name is their parent's first name with a suffix specifying -son or -dottir (daughter).

So John Smith and Mary Brown's children would be named Bob Johnson and Sally Johnsdottir (i.e. John's daughter). Bob Johnson's children in turn would have the lastname Bobson or Bobsdottir.

It could be that the parents decided to split the naming between the two parent's so the son has the father's name (Bob Johnson) but the sister had the mothers name (Sally Marysdottir).

WolfWay, you've cleared something up for me here -- thanks.  I recently came across a thriller -- which proved boring to me, I'm afraid -- translated from the Icelandic of one Arnaldur Indridason. I knew about the Icelandic -son / -dottir practice, but had been given to understand that the "suffix-ing" was always done to the father's name; and "Indrida" seemed plainly, a woman's name -- leaving me a little puzzled.  But I learn now, that it can happen that the mother's name is thus used.

I gather that the telephone directory in Iceland is listed by people's given names...

Margo

« Reply #1285 on: December 09, 2013, 05:44:26 AM »
My cousin's husband is from Malaysia but moved to the UK to go to school - he uses his father's forename name as his surname, which I assume is fairly standard.

As he and my cousin are settled in the UK they both use that as their surname. (The children both have am English christian name, Malaysian middle name and the same surname)

I think in general people are more flexible over how they chose to name their children. One of my aunts kept her own name when she married - the children (one born before they married, one after) both have her surname, no that of my uncle. And I've met quite a lot of people who either have daughters taking mother's name and sons taking father's name, or simply alternating

Ereine

« Reply #1286 on: December 09, 2013, 05:46:45 AM »
I think that the use of a mother's name can mean that the person is illegitimate, at least that was the convention in Finland.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1287 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:35 AM »

WolfWay, you've cleared something up for me here -- thanks.  I recently came across a thriller -- which proved boring to me, I'm afraid -- translated from the Icelandic of one Arnaldur Indridason. I knew about the Icelandic -son / -dottir practice, but had been given to understand that the "suffix-ing" was always done to the father's name; and "Indrida" seemed plainly, a woman's name -- leaving me a little puzzled.  But I learn now, that it can happen that the mother's name is thus used.

I don't know if Indrida is male or female (google is not being much help) but remember that not all languages consider female names to be the only ones ending in an a.

Think of: Luca, Ezra, Andrea,  Chinua, Attila, Rama and Abdulla.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1288 on: December 09, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »
Ereine, iridaceae: thanks for the thoughts.  My impression (based on no deep knowledge) about Scandinavian countries and languages, is that names ending in -a are more likely to be female there, than male: but I could be making an "interesting assumption".

Lynn2000

« Reply #1289 on: December 09, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
I think in general people are more flexible over how they chose to name their children. One of my aunts kept her own name when she married - the children (one born before they married, one after) both have her surname, no that of my uncle. And I've met quite a lot of people who either have daughters taking mother's name and sons taking father's name, or simply alternating

I mentioned this earlier, but my friend and her husband have two children (both born after they were married). The first child has the father's last name and the second child has the mother's last name. (My friend did not change her name upon marriage.) So the parents are Amy Adams and Bob Barker, and the kids are Carl Barker and David Adams. Thus two people in the household are Adams and two are Barker.

Personally I'm not a big fan... There's so many situations now where the names are just inherently complex (blended families, for example), it seems silly to me to intentionally create complexity. But, on the other hand, I think it's more of a personal preference, definitely not rising to the level of naming your kid Felon (in an English-speaking place) or something like that.
~Lynn2000