Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 289679 times)

Alias

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1335 on: December 13, 2013, 06:26:22 AM »
Ok I just have never gotten this -

I have many cousins that "share" names. Some actually share them being they are named for the older on or a common ancestor. Others are on completely different branches. Still I know who people are talking about without clarification almost every time. Previously it was "little" first name was used. My Dad and Aunt HATED that convention and put an end to it.

We have 'family' names on my side as well as my husbands, and I refused to use them. I was informed when I was expecting my son (about 7 months on) that there was a family tradition - each first son alternates between John and Joseph in DH's family. DH is the first son, I was expecting our first son and he *should* be named Joseph. He's not. We already had a name picked out at that stage, and my husband hadn't realised that the tradition went any farther than him being named after his father's father. I really wanted to avoid them having the same name as somone, it's just confusing.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1336 on: December 13, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
My mom's friend--60ish--went on a trip to the American Southwest and exclaimed, "It's so weird, they have all these places with 'butt' in the name!" People in the Southwest probably get that a lot.

FTR, the word is "butte" as in Butte, Montana or Red Butte or Elephant Butte. It's pronounced byoot, like if you were saying "beautiful" but just used the first syllable. It's a geographic feature, one of those iconic straight-sided, flat-topped hills they have in the American West and Southwest. Personally I would expect an adult American to have picked up on that by now, from the movies if nothing else.

I don't know - most of our film and tv entertainment is Amercian and I woudn't have known that.

This is interesting: I'm in the UK, and have long known the word and its meaning -- from material read, and from gazing at the atlas -- but have never heard it spoken by an American.  I'd always imagined the pronunciation to be "BUTT-eh".  Thanks for the putting-right, Lynn2000; eHell is educational in all kinds of ways !

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1337 on: December 13, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
One more MIL story:

DH (Mr. Bean) and I have been trying to get pregnant for more than 18 months now.  Both sides of the family are aware of this.  My side offers their sympathies at our difficulties.  MIL, in contrast, offers her suggestions:  (Apologies in advance if this is tmi!  I will white-out the ickier parts).

"Now if you really wanted to get pregnant you have to stop washing your hair during your period!  That will wash away all the hormones."

She has said this to me no less than half a dozen times over the last few months to the point where I simply cut off contact with her as she was unable to have a conversation with me without giving me this advice.   DH is now under the rule that I am not to be alone with his mother (she only does this when we're alone but I think that's more to avoid getting herself into trouble than worrying about my privacy, based on other past experiences).

Can any eHellers tell me if this is a folk remedy they used to tell women?  Or is it simply a MILism she has invented?

And it should be noted that this woman already has four other grandchildren so I am NOT keeping that from her.  Conversely, my mother has no grandchildren yet and while supportive and eager to hold them once they arrive, is offering support instead of ... well, wackiness.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:24:12 AM by OSUJillyBean »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1338 on: December 13, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
Most folk remedies were created before people knew about "hormones". But I suppose there was a lot of pseudoscientific stuff since then that she might have picked up on.

Still, it's pretty bizarre, even for an "I read it in the Midnight Enquirer" sort of remedy. Why would you have hormones in your hair? How would removing them from there have any effect on the rest of your body?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

menley

« Reply #1339 on: December 13, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
You know, I sometimes think I can't be surprised anymore... and then I am :) That is the strangest thing I've ever heard. Hormones in your hair?!

greencat

« Reply #1340 on: December 13, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
OSUJillyBean, buy your MIL a middle-school level book on the human body for Christmas.  She appears to need it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1341 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
Most folk remedies were created before people knew about "hormones". But I suppose there was a lot of pseudoscientific stuff since then that she might have picked up on.

Still, it's pretty bizarre, even for an "I read it in the Midnight Enquirer" sort of remedy. Why would you have hormones in your hair? How would removing them from there have any effect on the rest of your body?

There was an Agatha Christie book that I read once where criminals were trying to trick the gullible.  They did this by having two tactics.  The first was that they pretended to hold something like a seance that would use black magic to cause something.  But then there was also, slightly hidden, a machine full of whirling gizmos and weird things.  The idea was that if somebody was skeptical of the black magic stuff, he might go investigating.  And if he went investigating, he'd find the gizmo.  And then he might think that there was some scientific cause for the event, electromagnetic waves or something like that.  In reality, the cause was something completely normal and human, but they were hiding it by controlling what people thought in two different ways... one for people who would believe in black magic or witchcraft, the other for people who would believe in science.  You can use all sorts of ways to convince people of stuff, depending on whether they're more likely to believe something that sounds scientific, or something that sounds folksy and time-tested, or whatever.  That said, I've never heard this hair washing thing.  I wonder if she's confusing hormones with pheromones?  You people make me so grateful for my MIL.  :)

Betelnut

« Reply #1342 on: December 13, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »
Maybe tell her that hair is dead and therefore the hormones in hair (?) are dead too?

"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1343 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »
I also feel compelled to mention that this is the woman who, when riding in my car with me to go to lunch, refused to put on her seatbelt.  We have a click-it-or-ticket law in my state so I simply put it in park and told her I wouldn't be driving anywhere until she buckled in.  Is seatbelt safety optional in her mind?  I thought this was something everybody learned when you outgrew your carseat/booster seats?

cwm

« Reply #1344 on: December 13, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
Luci, it's not just the midwest.  I'm on the east coast and I speak in time, not distance.  I live 40 miles from DC.  That trip can take 40 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, or 3 hours depending on traffic

I'm in the midwest, and I say distance by time, taking into account traffic. For example, going from work to BF's house is either a 20 minute trip or a 45 minute trip, depending on how soon I get out of work. So if someone is asking directions to something near there, I'll ask when they're going to tell them how far it is.

I wish I could get it into people's heads that the whole "Age is just a number" mindset can be highly insulting. Last year, people weren't sure I was old enough to drink wine (I was 27...) and this year I'm talking about my arthritis. Age is just a number, yes, but telling me to my face that I'm too young for that sort of thing really does hurt, especially since I was diagnosed in middle school for my knee, and that sort of thing doesn't just go away when you graduate high school. Since, you know, you're too young for that.

Yes, age is a number, and I look and act younger than I actually am, but my body is falling apart faster than it should. Please refrain from commenting on how I must be exaggerating or making it up (yes, I've been told that) or I'm too young for it. Obviously I'm not.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1345 on: December 13, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »
I also feel compelled to mention that this is the woman who, when riding in my car with me to go to lunch, refused to put on her seatbelt.  We have a click-it-or-ticket law in my state so I simply put it in park and told her I wouldn't be driving anywhere until she buckled in.  Is seatbelt safety optional in her mind?  I thought this was something everybody learned when you outgrew your carseat/booster seats?

Carseat? Booster seat? What are these things (says myself, from a 1960s perspective)? Doesn't everyone just pile the kids in the back seat, and let them rattle around like popcorn?

I don't know how old your MIL is, but it's quite possible she remembers seatbelts as being optional as a child, and has never really processed that they are no longer a choice.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #1346 on: December 13, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

Carseat? Booster seat? What are these things (says myself, from a 1960s perspective)? Doesn't everyone just pile the kids in the back seat, and let them rattle around like popcorn?

I don't know how old your MIL is, but it's quite possible she remembers seatbelts as being optional as a child, and has never really processed that they are no longer a choice.

My great grandma never wore a seatbelt. She was convinced to the day she died that it would kill her in a crash. But in order to not get a ticket, she'd strap it over her waist and shoulder and hold it so it looked like she was wearing it.

Everyone in the family gave up on trying to convince her of how important it was before I was even born. She had her very strong opinion on it, and it wasn't going to change, regardless of anything else anyone said. But she was considerate enough to fool the police officers on the road so she and/or the driver wouldn't have to pay a ticket for it.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1347 on: December 13, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »

MIL is about 65 and I assumed they had some form of baby safety devices in her youth, even if they've changed drastically over the years.  How else did you transport infants and toddlers around in the 1950s/60s?  ???  (I am sorry but I freely admit I am ignorant of vintage safety devices).

daen

« Reply #1348 on: December 13, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
Luci, it's not just the midwest.  I'm on the east coast and I speak in time, not distance.  I live 40 miles from DC.  That trip can take 40 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, or 3 hours depending on traffic

I'm in the midwest, and I say distance by time, taking into account traffic. For example, going from work to BF's house is either a 20 minute trip or a 45 minute trip, depending on how soon I get out of work. So if someone is asking directions to something near there, I'll ask when they're going to tell them how far it is.

<snip>

I got into the habit of stating distance by time because metric was phased in just before I was born. There are a lot of people who still use miles as the default measure (aided by the fact that locally the roads are set out in a grid pattern at one-mile intervals), so I grew up with some people understanding miles, some kilometers, and me being confused. "Fifteen minutes" is still a scale everyone understands.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1349 on: December 13, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »
MIL is about 65 and I assumed they had some form of baby safety devices in her youth, even if they've changed drastically over the years.  How else did you transport infants and toddlers around in the 1950s/60s?  ???  (I am sorry but I freely admit I am ignorant of vintage safety devices).

The earliest "child seat" that was designed for safety was manufactured in 1962 (according to wikipedia).  We never had anything like it  - didn't even have seat belts until dad bought the Olds in 1964. 

Babies were carried in someones arms, seat belts were optional.