Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 303999 times)

Jones

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1350 on: December 13, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
I'm 28. My "going home from hospital" photo shows me loosely (barely) strapped into a seat MUCH too big; I'm certain I had rattling around bruises by the time we got home. Once I outgrew my baby seat, I remember seat belts as very optional until I was about 12. Fond memories of sitting cross legged in the back of an empty van with friends and cousins inserted here.

I'm not saying that's standard at all, but yes there are a LOT of adults in my area raised with that mindset, some of us are pretty young.

My car doesn't go anywhere unless everyone has their seatbelt on. That's my car's rules. Some people's cars have different rules, but those are mine.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1351 on: December 13, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
As Zyrs said, babies usually rode in the passenger's lap.  If Mom (or Dad) was driving alone, you laid them on the seat next to you and held them in place when you came to a stop.  (Well, at least you tried.)

There were bassinetty like things that went into the back seat for a very small baby to ride in and car seats for older babies who could sit up, but they were not really designed for safety other than keeping the child more or less in one spot so they couldn't be climbing all over the driver.

The newer 'safety' versions just came out right before our last child was born in 1973.  The hospital required you to have one in your car and put the baby in it before they would let you leave the hospital with your baby! 

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1352 on: December 13, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
My mom's friend--60ish--went on a trip to the American Southwest and exclaimed, "It's so weird, they have all these places with 'butt' in the name!" People in the Southwest probably get that a lot.

FTR, the word is "butte" as in Butte, Montana or Red Butte or Elephant Butte. It's pronounced byoot, like if you were saying "beautiful" but just used the first syllable. It's a geographic feature, one of those iconic straight-sided, flat-topped hills they have in the American West and Southwest. Personally I would expect an adult American to have picked up on that by now, from the movies if nothing else.

Further to this topic -- I must really have far too much time on my hands.  Have conceived of a bit of tri-national wordplay, as follows.

I understand that in Australian slang, the first syllable of the word "beautiful" is used as an adjective meaning -- well -- "beautiful", or at any rate, something to be approved of.

A member of the Scottish nobility, is the Marquess of Bute (pronounced as above, "byoot"), whose lands include the island of Bute, located to the west of Glasgow; reputedly a very pretty place.

A scenario is envisaged, of a traveller who has spent time in Australia, and the West of the USA, being a guest of the Marquess, and being shown by him, around the eponymous island.  They arrive at the base of a picturesque straight-sided, flat-topped hill.  The visitor remarks: "Hey, that's a beaut Bute butte, Bute !"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1353 on: December 13, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »
Born in 1968.  There is a picture of me coming home from the hospital, in my mother's arms in the front seat.  In the early 70s, we were driving an old '58 Chev that didn't have seatbelts!  We had a station wagon after that and for long trips, I got the back seat, my brother got the very back.  Kept us from fighting.   ;D  It had seatbelts but we didn't have to wear them.  The seatbelt law came into place in the late 70s, early 80s, I think.  I used to wear mine when I was awake but I'd take it off to lie down on the seat and sleep.  One trip, I fell asleep with the belt still on.  Good thing, because I woke to my father talking to the nice policeman out the window as he was being given a speeding ticket!   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1354 on: December 13, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
Further to this topic -- I must really have far too much time on my hands.  Have conceived of a bit of tri-national wordplay, as follows.

I understand that in Australian slang, the first syllable of the word "beautiful" is used as an adjective meaning -- well -- "beautiful", or at any rate, something to be approved of.

A member of the Scottish nobility, is the Marquess of Bute (pronounced as above, "byoot"), whose lands include the island of Bute, located to the west of Glasgow; reputedly a very pretty place.

A scenario is envisaged, of a traveller who has spent time in Australia, and the West of the USA, being a guest of the Marquess, and being shown by him, around the eponymous island.  They arrive at the base of a picturesque straight-sided, flat-topped hill.  The visitor remarks: "Hey, that's a beaut Bute butte, Bute !"

LOL! At least that would show the speaker had a lot of knowledge and the ability to synthesize it! :)
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1355 on: December 13, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »

This is my kind of joke!

(we use the shortened form of "beaut" here in the US as well)

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1356 on: December 13, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
Luci, it's not just the midwest.  I'm on the east coast and I speak in time, not distance.  I live 40 miles from DC.  That trip can take 40 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, or 3 hours depending on traffic

I'm in the midwest, and I say distance by time, taking into account traffic. For example, going from work to BF's house is either a 20 minute trip or a 45 minute trip, depending on how soon I get out of work. So if someone is asking directions to something near there, I'll ask when they're going to tell them how far it is.

I wish I could get it into people's heads that the whole "Age is just a number" mindset can be highly insulting. Last year, people weren't sure I was old enough to drink wine (I was 27...) and this year I'm talking about my arthritis. Age is just a number, yes, but telling me to my face that I'm too young for that sort of thing really does hurt, especially since I was diagnosed in middle school for my knee, and that sort of thing doesn't just go away when you graduate high school. Since, you know, you're too young for that.

Yes, age is a number, and I look and act younger than I actually am, but my body is falling apart faster than it should. Please refrain from commenting on how I must be exaggerating or making it up (yes, I've been told that) or I'm too young for it. Obviously I'm not.

Not only is that painful, they're contradicting themselves. If they really think "age is just a number" then it follows that nobody is too young for arthritis  (or too old to play with children's toys).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1357 on: December 13, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
In the 1970's, my parents would drive my sister and I to camp early in the morning, leaving home at 3 AM. They would put us in sleeping bags in the back (cargo area) of the station wagon. I shudder to think of all the things that could happen, but am very glad nothing did.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1358 on: December 13, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »

This is my kind of joke!

Thanks Toots -- and Lynn2000 (ability / facility re multi-quoting, lacking -- sorry).  Idiotic jokes of this kind, potentially abound -- a spin-off thread, perhaps called for.  I'm working on one such now, involving "what" and "wat"...

cwm

« Reply #1359 on: December 13, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »

This is my kind of joke!

Thanks Toots -- and Lynn2000 (ability / facility re multi-quoting, lacking -- sorry).  Idiotic jokes of this kind, potentially abound -- a spin-off thread, perhaps called for.  I'm working on one such now, involving "what" and "wat"...

Which witch?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1360 on: December 13, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »
I also feel compelled to mention that this is the woman who, when riding in my car with me to go to lunch, refused to put on her seatbelt.  We have a click-it-or-ticket law in my state so I simply put it in park and told her I wouldn't be driving anywhere until she buckled in.  Is seatbelt safety optional in her mind?  I thought this was something everybody learned when you outgrew your carseat/booster seats?

Carseat? Booster seat? What are these things (says myself, from a 1960s perspective)? Doesn't everyone just pile the kids in the back seat, and let them rattle around like popcorn?

I don't know how old your MIL is, but it's quite possible she remembers seatbelts as being optional as a child, and has never really processed that they are no longer a choice.

MIL is about 65 and I assumed they had some form of baby safety devices in her youth, even if they've changed drastically over the years.  How else did you transport infants and toddlers around in the 1950s/60s?  ???  (I am sorry but I freely admit I am ignorant of vintage safety devices).

I was born in 1974, and did not (always) ride in a carseat. I know this because apparently I would always spit up on my Dad's suit as he held me in the car while Mom drove him to work - but only if he had an important meeting that day. No idea what Mom did with me on the way home, just that Dad held me on the way in.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:46:09 PM by jedikaiti »
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hillia

« Reply #1361 on: December 13, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »
Born in 1962, and the only reason we weren't allowed to ride on the back shelf was because it blocked Mom's view.

(Older cars had a shelf behind the back seat where you could put packages, etc)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bethczar

« Reply #1362 on: December 13, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »

This is my kind of joke!

Which witch?
One of my mom's favorites:
"Let us fly!" said the flea.
"Let us flee!" said the fly.
So they flew to a flaw in the flue.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1363 on: December 13, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

That's part of a longer limerick

A flea and a fly in a flue
Were imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, "let us flee!"
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Bethczar

« Reply #1364 on: December 13, 2013, 07:19:27 PM »

That's part of a longer limerick

A flea and a fly in a flue
Were imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, "let us flee!"
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.
Thanks! I always wondered where she got it from.