News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 01:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1567484 times)

Flibbertigibbet

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1380 on: December 17, 2013, 10:59:57 AM »
That reminds me of when my British grandmother visited us in Canada, bought a coffee cake from the bakery, and was outraged when it didn't taste like coffee.  I can understand her reaction, though.

I'd also, prior to having been on this site, have expected a coffee cake to taste like coffee. Coffee cake in the UK (as far as I am aware) means coffee flavoured cake, or at the very least, cake with coffee flavoured icing. I know now in (at least some parts of) the US that it means 'cake to have with coffee' not necessarily also being coffee flavoured.

However, a teacake in the UK does not of course taste of tea, so I suppose we really don't have a leg to stand on in terms of consistency!

Margo

« Reply #1381 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:31 AM »
That reminds me of when my British grandmother visited us in Canada, bought a coffee cake from the bakery, and was outraged when it didn't taste like coffee.  I can understand her reaction, though.

I'd also, prior to having been on this site, have expected a coffee cake to taste like coffee. Coffee cake in the UK (as far as I am aware) means coffee flavoured cake, or at the very least, cake with coffee flavoured icing. I know now in (at least some parts of) the US that it means 'cake to have with coffee' not necessarily also being coffee flavoured.

However, a teacake in the UK does not of course taste of tea, so I suppose we really don't have a leg to stand on in terms of consistency!

Yes, if I bought a coffee cake and it was not coffee flavoured I would be surprised and disappointed. (especially as coffee cake is my favourite kind of cake!)  But if I were in a foreign country I would probably assume that the error was mine.

Out of interest, given that a coffee cake isn't a cake made with coffee, how would I spot the cake that was coffee flavoured?  and how would a 'coffee cake' differ from any other type of cake?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1382 on: December 17, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »
A cake with coffee flavoring would be most likely labeled as Mocha for coffee & chocolate. Coffee flavored desserts are not common. The only one I can think of is a flan or pudding flavored with coffee. Also, Kahlua is commonly used in desserts, and it is a coffee liqueur.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1383 on: December 17, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
I may have posted this before.

We were having a bake sale at work to raise money for our annual company picnic (200 workers plus dates & family members adds up to a lot of hamburgers & hot dogs that we needed to pay for - and bouncy castle rental, etc.).

I brought a German apple coffee cake (served as breakfast at family holidays and on Sundays - then leftovers [not likely on a farm when the aunt, uncles, and Dad were growing up - unless Grandma had made several) as a light dessert or quick breakfast as long as they lasted.

Guy from Florida with Spanish heritage (not Mexican - he was quite clear about THAT) came to me with a huge slab and complained that it wasn't SWEET enough.  Um - it was a sweet bread with apple slices dipped in sugar & cinnamon laid on top to rise & bake - then a glaze of light frosting.  It was a GERMAN dish, not Mexican or Spanish. 

But I was  making my family recipe wrong because he'd eaten an iced (frosting) brownie first and could no longer appreciate anything that was only slightly sweet....at least he didn't try to tell me that it should taste like coffee...

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

wheeitsme

« Reply #1384 on: December 17, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »

Yes, if I bought a coffee cake and it was not coffee flavoured I would be surprised and disappointed. (especially as coffee cake is my favourite kind of cake!)  But if I were in a foreign country I would probably assume that the error was mine.

Out of interest, given that a coffee cake isn't a cake made with coffee, how would I spot the cake that was coffee flavoured?  and how would a 'coffee cake' differ from any other type of cake?

Oh, golly.  USA here.  I never thought about coffee cake.  I love their cinnamon crumbly streuseley goodness, and I would be very sad if I ordered it and I got a coffee flavored cake, lol.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1385 on: December 17, 2013, 11:31:09 AM »
Coffee cake in the US is more like a sweetened bread, really - it's almost always got a crumbly topping (much like streusel) and usually has swirls of brown sugar/spices/butter/etc. through it.  It can be very sweet, but it isn't always and it's usually not as sweet as real cake can be, more like a muffin or quickbread.  It's definitely a "meal" food item as opposed to a "dessert" thing.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #1386 on: December 17, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »
But...if that's a coffee cake, then what is a coffee FLAVOURED cake called?

Or did I just answer my own question?  ;)

Desdemona

« Reply #1387 on: December 17, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »

In my part of the US we really don't have just coffee flavored cakes at all. Cakes with coffee flavoring are usually also chocolate so they would be called mocha cakes and even mocha cakes aren't very common here.

perpetua

« Reply #1388 on: December 17, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

In my part of the US we really don't have just coffee flavored cakes at all. Cakes with coffee flavoring are usually also chocolate so they would be called mocha cakes and even mocha cakes aren't very common here.

Oh, you're missing out there. Coffee (flavoured) cake is one of life's greatest pleasures :)

I'm not sure I've ever had a coffee and chocolate one though - that does sound nice.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #1389 on: December 17, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
I'd definitely expect something like this. http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/COFFEE-AND-WALNUT-LAYER-CAKE-5307

I usually see them with walnuts, although sometimes you get them without. And yes, it's delicious.

lowspark

« Reply #1390 on: December 17, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
I've never had coffee flavored cake. Someone oughta post a recipe!  ;D
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

emwithme

« Reply #1391 on: December 17, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
I call coffee and walnut cakes "Joy Cakes" (and have done for nearly 20 years now).

It started when I worked in retail and one of my part-time, older, colleagues would bake for the staff room.  She would make the most divine coffee and walnut cakes.  Her name was Joy.  These cakes also gave many people joy, particularly when she had had a Friday off but worked a Saturday :)

So, for me, Joy cakes they became.  I just have to train new people in my life that if my shopping list say "joy cake" it means "coffee and walnut". 

(I do agree it's confusing that coffee cake has coffee in it but teacakes don't.  Tea bread, on the other hand...)

Hmmmmm

« Reply #1392 on: December 17, 2013, 12:12:11 PM »

Oh, you're missing out there. Coffee (flavoured) cake is one of life's greatest pleasures :)

I'm not sure I've ever had a coffee and chocolate one though - that does sound nice.

US South.... I make an espresso cake that doesn't have chocolate in it.

Lynn2000

« Reply #1393 on: December 17, 2013, 12:15:39 PM »
IME (limited) a cake which is coffee-flavored will often be labeled mocha, cappuccino, espresso, or some other coffee-associated term. (You have to know those are coffee-associated, though.) Sometimes they will specifically say "coffee-flavored." I don't know that I'd call them common, but certainly in "nice" cake bakeries they will usually offer a cake with coffee flavoring, and even some grocery store bakeries have them out as an option. There is also, of course, tiramisu, the dessert commonly found in Italian restaurants, which if done properly features cake parts soaked in coffee. So some bakeries will make a "tiramisu" cake which reliably involves coffee flavoring. Personally I don't get coffee-flavored cakes very often because I find that they are divisive: the people who like coffee like them okay but would be just as happy with lemon or pure chocolate or some other flavor, and the people who don't like coffee loathe them because they can't stand even a bit of the coffee flavoring. That's just my experience with my co-workers. :)

Anyway I came back to mention a totally different thing I'd remembered. I work with plants, and once I had cause to reference, several times, something that had been done in poplar, which is a rather common tree in North America. One of my colleagues (raised in America) kept correcting my pronunciation to popular--I would say, "As found in the poplar tree..." and then he would go, "So when they found this in popular..." like he thought I was pronouncing it wrong and was trying to give me a hint about it. We were in a meeting with everyone so I didn't want to just ask him about it and make him look dumb. Eventually he stopped, either because he realized I wasn't taking his hint, or he realized he was wrong himself. Given the context I thought it was pretty weird.
~Lynn2000

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #1394 on: December 17, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »

My tea loaf has tea in it though... #ducks and runs#