Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 307587 times)

Jocelyn

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1380 on: December 14, 2013, 07:10:15 PM »
I was born in '84, grew up with seatbelts and car seats until I was about six. Now here they make you have them until 12, and I've seen car seats that will last kids that long! 
How bizarre. I was taller at 10 than my niece is at 30. Seems funny not to specify by height, although then people like my niece would still have to ride in car seats!  ::)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1381 on: December 14, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
I can also remember how people ranted about infant seats- how cruel it was to strap a baby in! Babies were much safer riding on their mothers' laps, as maternal instinct would compell a woman to hold onto the baby tightly and safely in an accident. Plus, it made it SO much easier to feed the baby en route.

Thus adding a lovely wodge of guilt to the grief, if you lost your grip and your child died in a car crash. Clearly you weren't a good mother, because you'd let go. (I remember car safety films that had to hammer on the idea that no matter how hard you tried, it just wasn't possible to keep an infant secure in your arms through anything more than the most minor fender-bender.)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1382 on: December 14, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
Ok, I was wrong it's seven, not twelve. But I have seen car seats that go that high.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/children/childrestraints/childrestraintlaws_faqs.html

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #1383 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
My girls had carseats before they came home from the hospital.  I don't remember if the state required them in the mid-70's, but *I* did!  My inlaws thought I was just being picky, and it was terrible that I strapped my babies in like that.  Their babies were always perfectly safe in someone's arms, their toddlers free range all over the car.  When they wanted to take them somewhere and tried to pull "my car, my rules, no carseat"  I put my foot down and said "MY kids.  No carseat, no rides in Grandma's car."  So they didn't go anywhere in Grandma's car, not until they were old enough to use regular seatbelts. 

And as for the kids being safe in the car, or that absolute nonsense about being "thrown clear" -- SonIL #1 was about 3 when his mother had an accident.  He had been standing on the front seat, facing the back, and went through the windshield. He almost died. Fractured skull, brain damage that lead to significant vision problems that still affect him, 40 years later; he's gradually lost color vision, to the point that now he can see as colors only certain shades of dark blue.  Everything else is like a black-and-white movie.  Brightright colored patterns give him headaches, because his eyes can still see the colors, but his brain cannot interpret them.  He can't 'see' 3-D movies, because that requires the contrasting color vision.

I was flower girl for a cousin's wedding back in the 70s, and I remember having a crush on the ring bearer. He was killed in a car accident in the same scenario above shortly after the wedding.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:25:48 PM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1384 on: December 14, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »
I can also remember how people ranted about infant seats- how cruel it was to strap a baby in! Babies were much safer riding on their mothers' laps, as maternal instinct would compell a woman to hold onto the baby tightly and safely in an accident. Plus, it made it SO much easier to feed the baby en route.

Thus adding a lovely wodge of guilt to the grief, if you lost your grip and your child died in a car crash. Clearly you weren't a good mother, because you'd let go. (I remember car safety films that had to hammer on the idea that no matter how hard you tried, it just wasn't possible to keep an infant secure in your arms through anything more than the most minor fender-bender.)
Um-hm.  Barensmom, upthread, said:

If I got bored, Pop would push his seat back a bit and he put me on his lap and "I'd drive."
Think what would have happened if they had been in an accident, or even a moderate fender-bender.  Barensmom would have been crushed between her Pop and the wheel.  How guilty would that have made him feel?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

BB-VA

« Reply #1385 on: December 14, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
I think the article was in Childcraft (the book set that used to come with World Book Encyclopedia) on how to pack a car when traveling with a baby.   We had the 1963 edition, I believe - wish I could find that rascal now!

If I remember correctly, they suggested placing luggage on the floor between the back seat and front seats and covering everything with blankets and padding so the baby would have room to play and lie down if he got sleepy.   

Also, in a teen book from the period (Something Borrowed, Something Blue by Lenora Mattingly Weber), a young couple with a baby is going on a road trip.  The young man of the couple is very proud of how he has packed the back seat (using the crib mattress) so the baby could lie down and sleep.    The baby DID have a car seat but the author definitely states it is in the front seat, so I am sure it was the kind that just hooked over the seat back.

I suppose it seemed like a good idea then, but now - wowsers!

edited for clarification
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:56:03 PM by BB-VA »
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

SheltieMom

« Reply #1386 on: December 14, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
In the early 80's, my cousin was involved in an accident. (Right at sundown, driving west, he turned in front of another car. Technically, he was at fault, but the other driver did not have his lights on, so he was not ticketed.) The other car had a three year old asleep in the back seat. He was thrown into the floor, but unharmed. Unfortunately, his 9 month old sister was not so lucky. Mom was holding her in the front seat, and not wearing her own seat belt. She held on to the baby, but sadly hit the dash and crushed the baby, who died instantly.

The same year, a friend of mine and her husband and daughter were hit head on by a semi that went the wrong way down a divided highway. She and her husband were killed, but their baby girl survived. The baby was strapped in a car seat, between her parents on the seat of a pickup truck. The baby went through the windshield in her car seat, and except for minor cuts on her face, the car seat still protected her.

My kids always believed the car wouldn't start until everyone was strapped in.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1387 on: December 14, 2013, 11:56:51 PM »
Now we need to start a "buckle your dog" campaign.  It always makes me wince to see dogs unrestrained in a car.

Except the tests all show that every model of dog car harness in use today is totally ineffectual in a crash.

Bluenomi

« Reply #1388 on: December 15, 2013, 03:25:25 AM »
Now we need to start a "buckle your dog" campaign.  It always makes me wince to see dogs unrestrained in a car.

Except the tests all show that every model of dog car harness in use today is totally ineffectual in a crash.

They recently tested all the ones available in Australia and 2 passed, the most expensive and oddly, the cheapest. The rest were useless or actually dangerous.

Margo

« Reply #1389 on: December 15, 2013, 03:38:47 AM »
Ineffective in protecting the dog, or in preventing the dog from harming people in the car? Or both?

We had car seats as children, and my parents were unusual in insisting that anyone trvalling in their car wore a seatbelt, well before they were legally required here.

(I remember once, AFTER rear seatbelts became compulsory for children, one of my brother's friends refusing, when we picked him up to give him a lift somewhere. He was told the car didn't move unless everyone was strapped in. We were sitting outside his house and his dad came out to see why we had nt moved-and rather than telling his son to buckle up, tried to tell my mum to let him be. We left, without friend, shortly afterwards. )

I know that when my mum was a child, they see to travel with 3 children in the rear seat and the fourth sitting on a petrol can placed  between the front seats ... But that was in the 1950s

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1390 on: December 15, 2013, 04:31:22 AM »
One of my mom's favorites:
"Let us fly!" said the flea.
"Let us flee!" said the fly.
So they flew to a flaw in the flue.

That's part of a longer limerick

A flea and a fly in a flue
Were imprisoned, so what could they do?
Said the fly, "let us flee!"
"Let us fly!" said the flea.
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.
Thanks! I always wondered where she got it from.

Have just recalled from childhood, an extremely silly (and perhaps slightly politically-incorrect -- forgiveable, I hope) joke.

Two insects of different kinds were crawling along; one overtook the other. What time was it in China?

Answer: Fly passed flea (five past three).

Bluenomi

« Reply #1391 on: December 15, 2013, 05:23:53 AM »
Ineffective in protecting the dog, or in preventing the dog from harming people in the car? Or both?

Both generally. The dog can become a projectile that can injure the people and itself. Not good for anyone human or dog involved.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1392 on: December 15, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »
I know that when my mum was a child, they see to travel with 3 children in the rear seat and the fourth sitting on a petrol can placed  between the front seats ... But that was in the 1950s

Yes, let's not only have your children unrestrained, but sitting on a potential bomb!
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1393 on: December 15, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »
And in my childhood, my mother routinely had the grocery sacker put her groceries in the back seat. Tremendous potential for having cans-of-vegetables shrapnel in case of accident.  A one-pound can of green beans going at 30 mph, and hitting the driver in the head, is bound to cause a fatality.
And my mother was a science teacher! We just didn't think about things like that, back then.

ClaireC79

« Reply #1394 on: December 15, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
I was born in '84, grew up with seatbelts and car seats until I was about six. Now here they make you have them until 12, and I've seen car seats that will last kids that long! 
How bizarre. I was taller at 10 than my niece is at 30. Seems funny not to specify by height, although then people like my niece would still have to ride in car seats!  ::)

Here it's 12years old or 135cm, I think my second was 11 before she got tall enough