Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 326543 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1395 on: December 15, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
I was born in '84, grew up with seatbelts and car seats until I was about six. Now here they make you have them until 12, and I've seen car seats that will last kids that long! 
How bizarre. I was taller at 10 than my niece is at 30. Seems funny not to specify by height, although then people like my niece would still have to ride in car seats!  ::)

Here it's 12years old or 135cm, I think my second was 11 before she got tall enough

My sister was 8 when that law was brought in, and already tall enough that she didn't need a child seat! 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1396 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
I was born in '84, grew up with seatbelts and car seats until I was about six. Now here they make you have them until 12, and I've seen car seats that will last kids that long! 
How bizarre. I was taller at 10 than my niece is at 30. Seems funny not to specify by height, although then people like my niece would still have to ride in car seats!  ::)

They specify by weight in Minnesota, because I had a niece that wouldn't eat much, and Sis was concerned about her weight. She threatened her with (or pointed out that) the fact that she'd have to go back in a booster seat if she kept losing weight.

(there are at least 3 tiers--baby seat, car seat, booster seat, the booster being designed to help the seat belt fit you safely more than anything else.)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1397 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
I think the article was in Childcraft (the book set that used to come with World Book Encyclopedia) on how to pack a car when traveling with a baby.   We had the 1963 edition, I believe - wish I could find that rascal now!

If I remember correctly, they suggested placing luggage on the floor between the back seat and front seats and covering everything with blankets and padding so the baby would have room to play and lie down if he got sleepy.   

Also, in a teen book from the period (Something Borrowed, Something Blue by Lenora Mattingly Weber), a young couple with a baby is going on a road trip.  The young man of the couple is very proud of how he has packed the back seat (using the crib mattress) so the baby could lie down and sleep.    The baby DID have a car seat but the author definitely states it is in the front seat, so I am sure it was the kind that just hooked over the seat back.

I suppose it seemed like a good idea then, but now - wowsers!

edited for clarification

When my sister and I were kids (I was 5-6, she was 7-8), we would spend almost every weekend at a little cabin my parents had, about 2 hours from town. Since the traffic could be terrible, my parents would leave very late at night. They would put down the back seat and there was a little "kit" for us: a thick pad would be placed on the back of the car, there were two little pillows and a sheet, so we would lie down and sleep all the way.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1398 on: December 15, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
The thing is, you can certainly have an adult (especially a woman) who would be much safer in a booster seat.  There are grown women who are 4'8" and 90 pounds, that sort of thing.  Seatbelts are just not designed for somebody of that size.  They are good for a large span of sizes, but people who are at the very lower and upper ends aren't as safe.  That's why people who are larger often need seat belt extenders and things like that.  And people who are smaller... well, some certainly would do better in a booster seat.  However, since there's a certain point where it seems ridiculous to *require* an adult to sit in a booster seat, there's generally the option to either size out, or age out, whichever comes first.

I have a friend with a 9-year-old who was just recently looking into whether her daughter could dispense with the booster seat, and she found that she couldn't.  Her daughter just wasn't tall enough.  Her state didn't require it any longer at her daughter's age, but her daughter's height made a booster seat much safer.  So I guess she's in it for another year or so, at least.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1399 on: December 15, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
There are grown women who are 4'8" and 90 pounds, that sort of thing.

*sheepishly raises hand*

English1

« Reply #1400 on: December 16, 2013, 05:38:46 AM »
When we brought my baby home from the hospital in 1987, the weird rule was that a nurse had to carry the baby outside for you. When we got to the car and wanted to put him in his car seat she was really resistant to the idea and wanted me to hold him on my lap in the back seat instead. She honestly didn't want to hand him over to us to put him in the seat. In the late 80s! Stupid woman, we stuck to our point and insisted.

I have a colleague who hates wearing seat belts and does the 'drape it over me but not plug it in' thing to avoid a ticket. Not in my car, she doesn't. I won't move until she does it up. And when she sneakily unclicked it when I was driving, I pulled over and wouldn't move until she did it up again. I have no idea why. I think she just doesn't like the idea of it being mandatory. If she wants to kill herself, fine, but I'm not risking her killing me in an accident.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1401 on: December 16, 2013, 06:46:18 AM »
The thing is, you can certainly have an adult (especially a woman) who would be much safer in a booster seat.  There are grown women who are 4'8" and 90 pounds, that sort of thing.  Seatbelts are just not designed for somebody of that size.  They are good for a large span of sizes, but people who are at the very lower and upper ends aren't as safe.  That's why people who are larger often need seat belt extenders and things like that.  And people who are smaller... well, some certainly would do better in a booster seat.  However, since there's a certain point where it seems ridiculous to *require* an adult to sit in a booster seat, there's generally the option to either size out, or age out, whichever comes first.

I have a friend with a 9-year-old who was just recently looking into whether her daughter could dispense with the booster seat, and she found that she couldn't.  Her daughter just wasn't tall enough.  Her state didn't require it any longer at her daughter's age, but her daughter's height made a booster seat much safer.  So I guess she's in it for another year or so, at least.

I talked an adult friend into a booster seat after her third rear-end collision.  She is just maybe 5' tall and 85 lbs. It never occurred to anyone that she just couldn't really see well while driving.  No matter how she adjusted the seat, she was doing that head craning back thing to see over the steering wheel.  If you were driving behind her, it looked like the car was driving itself.  On the plus side her mystery neck pain disappeared in hardly no time.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

sunnygirl

« Reply #1402 on: December 16, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
Perhaps the car seat discussion could go into a spin-off thread?

Shalamar

« Reply #1403 on: December 16, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »
I remember the movie Fearless making a case for kids and seatbelts.  Rosie Perez's character had survived a plane crash, but her infant son did not, and she suffered horrible guilt thinking that she would have saved him if she had hung on hard enough.  Jeff Bridges' character proved to her - by driving his car into a wall - that she couldn't have held on, no matter what.

I remember when my province (Manitoba) made seat belts the law.  I visited my parents in BC about a year later, and Mum drove me bonkers by repeatedly saying "Buckle up!  It's the law here!"  After I'd said for the third time that it was the law where I came from, too, and she didn't have to keep reminding me, I gave up.  (I was in my mid-to-late 20's at the time.)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #1404 on: December 16, 2013, 09:45:05 PM »
I also feel compelled to mention that this is the woman who, when riding in my car with me to go to lunch, refused to put on her seatbelt.  We have a click-it-or-ticket law in my state so I simply put it in park and told her I wouldn't be driving anywhere until she buckled in.  Is seatbelt safety optional in her mind?  I thought this was something everybody learned when you outgrew your carseat/booster seats?

Carseat? Booster seat? What are these things (says myself, from a 1960s perspective)? Doesn't everyone just pile the kids in the back seat, and let them rattle around like popcorn?

I don't know how old your MIL is, but it's quite possible she remembers seatbelts as being optional as a child, and has never really processed that they are no longer a choice.

MIL is about 65 and I assumed they had some form of baby safety devices in her youth, even if they've changed drastically over the years.  How else did you transport infants and toddlers around in the 1950s/60s?  ???  (I am sorry but I freely admit I am ignorant of vintage safety devices).

Laundry baskets, or in my friend's uncle's case, a shoebox. He was a tiny premie. Since there was no accurate way to tell gestation, I'll give you his weight at birth: 4lb5ounces... Tiny thing. The nurse told her grandpa to take him home and love him because he wasn't long for the world.

Her uncle is over six feet... I guess he didn't listen to the nurse?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1405 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:13 AM »
Wow, I am feeling very lucky to be here based on all the car seat stories.  My stepdad had a wicker basket thing with four extendable legs.  Somehow that was supposed to go in the backseat of the car and the legs would hold it in place.  I saw it once and assumed that was the requirement back in the day.  It did not occur to me that there were no requirements.  Yikes!

My cousin (now a college freshman) was riding in a schoolbus for high school that crashed and rolled.  She was partially (or fully?  I don't remember) ejected from the vehicle but miraculously suffered no broken bones, just a horrible case of road rash.  I will never understand why schoolbuses don't have seatbelts, not even as an option.  Not even a lap belt. 

Back on topic:  when riding in the car with MIL yesterday, I was giving her directions to my house as we were coming from an unusual direction for her and she wasn't familiar with the highway.  I told her something along the lines of "In about two and a half miles, the exit will be on your right for Blah-Blah-Blah street."  She immediately pulled to the right and then proceeded to try and exit at every off-ramp for the next two-and-a-half miles, looking to me to say "Nope, not this one!  it'll be blah-blah-blah street in another two miles," and "Nope, keep going!"  I  understand she doesn't drive the highway all that often but now I'm worried she either didn't hear me say "MILES", didn't understand what MILES meant and how long it would take to drive a mile doing 60, or that she is no longer able to read the big green signs over the highway.  I love that woman but sometimes, you just have to shake your head.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1406 on: December 17, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
I might've mentioned this one before, but I once had lunch with a guy--my age, cultural background, geographic background--who was shocked, SHOCKED!!!, to discover that his caramel latte had coffee in it. "Latte" just means frothed milk, don't you know! He was actually on the point of going back up to the counter to complain--that they had made a mistake, or that they were in the wrong by not advertising the latte as a coffee beverage, I'm not sure. I was just sitting there staring at him, trying to figure out if he was serious or not, and finally said, "Well, in my experience, most lattes are coffee-based," and he just kind of huffed.

I can envision a lot of scenarios where this expectation might make sense, but none of them apply to him. For example, my mom likes chai TEA lattes. Some places offer those (Starbucks), other places will automatically put the chai spice into coffee, which my mom doesn't like. But even my mom, to whom fancy coffee drinks are a novelty, realizes that there are two possibilities, and she doesn't get shocked and outraged if she gets the wrong one (just disappointed). She'll also ask me if a drink is likely coffee-based before ordering it.

Another example--at some Korean ice cream shops they advertise lattes which are in fact coffee-free. IME it always says, in big letters on the sign, NO COFFEE. Thus giving a clue to those who never get lattes anywhere else that perhaps other places make them with coffee. It's hard for me to imagine that this guy I was eating with, who so confidently ordered his caramel latte, only had experience ordering them at Korean ice cream shops. So I don't know what his deal was.
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1407 on: December 17, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »
Like Lynn's story, people who hate coffee but visit coffee shops and buy beverages there. I would not be confident that all the machinery for coffee/tea, what have you is separate.

Shalamar

« Reply #1408 on: December 17, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
That reminds me of when my British grandmother visited us in Canada, bought a coffee cake from the bakery, and was outraged when it didn't taste like coffee.  I can understand her reaction, though. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1409 on: December 17, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
Like Lynn's story, people who hate coffee but visit coffee shops and buy beverages there. I would not be confident that all the machinery for coffee/tea, what have you is separate.

I'm not fond of coffee.  I avoided coffeeshops for the longest time, until I discovered I like chai and most places will at least offer something tea-based.  Then I discovered Starbucks will make a "steamer," which is a latte minus the coffee (so basically milk, flavored syrup, and whipped cream, all mixed up) and gingerbread steamers are absolutely amazing  ;D