News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 10:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1269132 times)

Virg

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1470 on: December 20, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
kherbert05 wrote:

"The argument is that in most cases the physics of how the seats are constructed will protect kids in most collisions. - I didn't say I believed it just that is the argument. Maybe one of the scientist/physics people here can explain."

The reasoning isn't so much that the seats will do the whole job, it's that adding belts to the seats doesn't increase the safety level enough to warrant the extra trouble they could create.  in a non-rollover crash, a lap belt alone won't stop most passengers from hitting the seat in front of them so the safety difference is negligible, and the increased safety in a rollover crash (which is relatively rare) is offset by the problems with injuries due to improper use and the possibility of entrapment, so overall it's a wash.  In buses like those shown below, where seats are individual rather than bench style, belts tend to increase safety by cutting down on lateral movement so they'll have belts much more often.

Virg

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1471 on: December 20, 2013, 08:55:22 AM »
A coworker called in sick yesterday with a stomach bug.  Today is the office secret santa party so she comes in.  I like this woman fine but she also informs me that now her husband is sick too with the same stomach bug and it's not something they've eaten! 

Thanks for coming in, there, Typhoid Mary.  Just what we all wanted for Christmas!

But if she has been sick, she's probably not contagious. Some stomach flu you do get over in 24 hours or less. So unless she's complaining that she's still sick, I wouldn't expect her to be contagious any longer.

With Norovirus, they tell you to stay home for 24 to 48 hours after the last time you vomited because you are still contagious.  And the fact that someone in the household is still sick means that she very likely is still potentially contagious.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1472 on: December 20, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
My son got the flu in January, strain A. I took him when we realized it was something serious, and he was on Tamiflu for a week, not allowed to go back to school until he finished the course. DH and I also had to take Tamiflu as a precaution, so we didn't catch it and spread it to others.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

cwm

« Reply #1473 on: December 20, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
A coworker called in sick yesterday with a stomach bug.  Today is the office secret santa party so she comes in.  I like this woman fine but she also informs me that now her husband is sick too with the same stomach bug and it's not something they've eaten! 

Thanks for coming in, there, Typhoid Mary.  Just what we all wanted for Christmas!

But if she has been sick, she's probably not contagious. Some stomach flu you do get over in 24 hours or less. So unless she's complaining that she's still sick, I wouldn't expect her to be contagious any longer.

With Norovirus, they tell you to stay home for 24 to 48 hours after the last time you vomited because you are still contagious.  And the fact that someone in the household is still sick means that she very likely is still potentially contagious.

And from personal experience, when there's 8/9 people in the house and one of them brings home norovirus from school, it's going to take several months before they're all healthy again. I swear, they just kept passing the same bug around and around and around. Same thing every year.

Mom's cousin, her husband, quintuplets, older sibling, and a part time live-in nurse for one of the quints at the time. I'm kind of glad they skipped Christmas that year, they were still sick.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1474 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »

And from personal experience, when there's 8/9 people in the house and one of them brings home norovirus from school, it's going to take several months before they're all healthy again. I swear, they just kept passing the same bug around and around and around. Same thing every year.

Mom's cousin, her husband, quintuplets, older sibling, and a part time live-in nurse for one of the quints at the time. I'm kind of glad they skipped Christmas that year, they were still sick.

Whoa- quintuplets?
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1475 on: December 20, 2013, 10:51:56 AM »

She was still sick that night after work and is back here today as she's out of PTO to use.  I feel bad for her but I am avoiding her just a bit and using hand sanitizer more often.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:15:55 AM by OSUJillyBean »

Teenyweeny

« Reply #1476 on: December 20, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »

She was still stick that night after work and is back here today as she's out of PTO to use.  I feel bad for her but I am avoiding her just a bit and using hand sanitizer more often.

I've never understood countries that give you a set number of sick days. What if you are sick more than X days? Things like this, which end up costing the company more, as infections get passed around.

In the UK, if you're sick, you're sick. If they suspect you're skiving, then they'll take action. If you happen to have an unlucky year and get ill a lot, then you stay at home a lot. Some companies may be pushier about getting you to come back, or they may require a doctor's note for longer absences, but there's no hard limit on sick days.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1477 on: December 20, 2013, 11:03:03 AM »
Teeny - that's how it works for manager-types but us lowly peons get 6 days a year to be sick.  Of course you can opt in to ST and LT disability and the FMLA eventually but if you're like me and just have a minor (but unavoidable and unworkable) day once a month, you're out of luck.

perpetua

« Reply #1478 on: December 20, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »

She was still stick that night after work and is back here today as she's out of PTO to use.  I feel bad for her but I am avoiding her just a bit and using hand sanitizer more often.

I've never understood countries that give you a set number of sick days. What if you are sick more than X days? Things like this, which end up costing the company more, as infections get passed around.

In the UK, if you're sick, you're sick. If they suspect you're skiving, then they'll take action. If you happen to have an unlucky year and get ill a lot, then you stay at home a lot. Some companies may be pushier about getting you to come back, or they may require a doctor's note for longer absences, but there's no hard limit on sick days.

Generally true (and thank goodness! I can't imagine how stressful it is to be thought of as a skiver for being sick for more than 5 days a year or whatever - what if you catch the flu and use them all in one go?) but companies here might not pay you for anything over X days, when you'd be bumped down to Statutory Sick Pay instead, a really piffly amount. It's usually a generous amount of days though before you get to that - I think it was several weeks/months in my last position and you'd still get full pay during that time.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1479 on: December 20, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I get 6 days at full pay and another 124 under the short term leave plan at 2/3 pay.  I can opt to top that up to full pay, using vacation time to make up the difference.

If you use a certain number of days a year - 8 or 9, I think - your supervisor is supposed to have a little discussion with you to let you know there are employee services available if you need help, yadda, yadda.

If you are going to be off for a significant period (more than a week), you are usually asked to provide a doctor's note.

But if I didn't get all that time?  If I was that sick, I'd take the day unpaid and stay home, rather than risk getting all my coworkers and their families sick, especially this close to Christmas.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #1480 on: December 20, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »

Whoa- quintuplets?

Yeah. IVF got them a singleton the first go-round, they wanted a bigger family, second round all 5 took. Older Sis was only 2 when they were born. That was not a fun house when rotavirus went around. The upside is that the doctors all knew them, and if one kiddo was sick, he'd just write scripts for the rest of them without having to see them, he knew it would spread soon enough.

Now they're all polite, well-adjusted kids in elementary school. They behave themselves as well as any group of under-10s can be expected to. I really need to get out there to see them again, but there's just no time.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1481 on: December 20, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

Whoa- quintuplets?

Yeah. IVF got them a singleton the first go-round, they wanted a bigger family, second round all 5 took. Older Sis was only 2 when they were born. That was not a fun house when rotavirus went around. The upside is that the doctors all knew them, and if one kiddo was sick, he'd just write scripts for the rest of them without having to see them, he knew it would spread soon enough.

Now they're all polite, well-adjusted kids in elementary school. They behave themselves as well as any group of under-10s can be expected to. I really need to get out there to see them again, but there's just no time.

I was blinking because the medical center where I work had a set of quints born here recently. They're younger than your group, though.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

cwm

« Reply #1482 on: December 20, 2013, 01:28:51 PM »
I have to tell on myself here.

I don't follow celebrities. At all. As in, I get a basic understanding of them from covers of magazines at the checkout aisle. As such, older famous people pretty much escape me. I also don't watch movies too often. My sister teases me often for this.

So the Sprint commercials started with James Earl Jones and Malcolm McDowell. That's great, I recognized James Earl Jones by voice, and knew the other guy was famous for something. Sis watched me watch the commercials, then saw me struggling with the name of the second guy. She provided me his last name, and the only thing I could think of, I knew was wrong. I said so, and she said to try anyway.

Apparently she got quite amused when I said Roddy McDowall. She nearly passed out laughing at me. Her boyfriend gave both of us a strange look, then said "Malcolm. Malcolm McDowell. Close, but no cigar."

I mean, their last names sound identical in my neck of the woods, they're both British actors, and I'm known for not being up on celebrities and such. I'm reminded of this every time I go into the Commercials You Love thread and there's a conversation about those commercials.

Hillia

« Reply #1483 on: December 20, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »

I don't follow celebrities. At all. As in, I get a basic understanding of them from covers of magazines at the checkout aisle. As such, older famous people pretty much escape me. I also don't watch movies too often. My sister teases me often for this.

So the Sprint commercials started with James Earl Jones and Malcolm McDowell. That's great, I recognized James Earl Jones by voice, and knew the other guy was famous for something. Sis watched me watch the commercials, then saw me struggling with the name of the second guy. She provided me his last name, and the only thing I could think of, I knew was wrong. I said so, and she said to try anyway.

Apparently she got quite amused when I said Roddy McDowall. She nearly passed out laughing at me. Her boyfriend gave both of us a strange look, then said "Malcolm. Malcolm McDowell. Close, but no cigar."

I mean, their last names sound identical in my neck of the woods, they're both British actors, and I'm known for not being up on celebrities and such. I'm reminded of this every time I go into the Commercials You Love thread and there's a conversation about those commercials.

And he is totes adorbs!
Totes magotes!

Luci

« Reply #1484 on: December 20, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »

And he is totes adorbs!
Totes magotes!

I wouldn't play with her anymore. Just tell me. I really don't feel like being laughed at right now as I can't laugh with you. I'm no fun at all, am I?

I don't know the difference between Brad Pitt and Sean Penn - they are both hearthrob contemporaries aren't they? So I guess I'm a generation further out of touch than you are, and don't really much care.

(That's why I pretty much don't post in the Entertainment board.  :-[ )