News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 11:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1299572 times)

NyaChan

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1515 on: December 22, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
The basics of the main types of contraception was covered in sex ed./health classes in Highschool (for me that was the 80s). From what I recall, we were told about the pill (including different types), physical barrier methods like condoms (bit disappointed now that we didn't get to try one on a banana - hilarious) or diaphragms, IUDS, as well as natural methods, like the rhythm method. We were taught about how they worked (how they prevent pregnancies or STIs) plus the key advantages and disadvantages of each choice.

So I'd expect that most adults* here (or at least those who were schooled in the same area at the same time as me) would know basically how the pill worked. No idea what they teach on Highschool here now but I'd expect it to be at least the same info, of not more.

*a few kids did not participate in the sex ed. part of health classes because their parents did not approve/preferred to cover this themselves. Assumes the ones who were there paid attention, instead of whispering and giggling.  :)

Wow we pretty much just got a chart of the body to label and called it a day.  I didn't even hear about IUDs until I was in college and that was from a commercial or advertisement. 

Jones

« Reply #1516 on: December 22, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
Sex ed in my experience (very early 2000's) was "This is how you get pregnant. Don't do it if you don't want to get pregnant. There are methods that help prevent, talk to your parents about them, don't ask the teacher because she can't tell you; only abstinence is 100% successful." Rumors were rampant in my high school...jumping backwards for a mile, smoking pot, and the "fact" that drinking a lot of caffeinated soda killed off a man's sperm. Those sorts of things.

I have general ideas on how IUDs work, mainly from overshares on my SIL's Facebook feed (she got an infection though, so I don't know how accurate that was), and I know a lot about the 3 contraceptives I've tried (gleaned from my doctor and the internet), but I see no reason to read all about other methods that I will never try.

I also didn't know about the extensive bleeding after birth, though it made sense. An acquaintance told me to get adult diapers for after my first; as I said, it made sense, so I did. However, all women are built differently, and after the day of the birth my body settled in to feeling like a regular period so the rest of my diaper package was unnecessary.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1517 on: December 22, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »
The basics of the main types of contraception was covered in sex ed./health classes in Highschool (for me that was the 80s). From what I recall, we were told about the pill (including different types), physical barrier methods like condoms (bit disappointed now that we didn't get to try one on a banana - hilarious) or diaphragms, IUDS, as well as natural methods, like the rhythm method. We were taught about how they worked (how they prevent pregnancies or STIs) plus the key advantages and disadvantages of each choice.

So I'd expect that most adults* here (or at least those who were schooled in the same area at the same time as me) would know basically how the pill worked. No idea what they teach on Highschool here now but I'd expect it to be at least the same info, of not more.

*a few kids did not participate in the sex ed. part of health classes because their parents did not approve/preferred to cover this themselves. Assumes the ones who were there paid attention, instead of whispering and giggling.  :)
And some states are absence only sex ed. (Must not kill State Board of Ed  Must not Kill State Board of Ed)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1518 on: December 22, 2013, 09:47:54 PM »
Surprisingly, my girls only school that was a rather conservative religion had a rather comprehensive sex ed program that we revisited every year.

FTR, I think the class should en split between male and female when sex ed is discussed.

nuit93

« Reply #1519 on: December 22, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »

Since the earliest part of the 21st century, a significant portion of U.S. public schools have used an abstinence-only curriculum that says exactly NOTHING about contraception of any form and that abstinence until marriage is the only acceptable way to live. 

These programs have been dropping in popularity though, as their effectiveness was shown to be, well, not so great.

nuit93

« Reply #1520 on: December 22, 2013, 11:48:20 PM »
Surprisingly, my girls only school that was a rather conservative religion had a rather comprehensive sex ed program that we revisited every year.

FTR, I think the class should en split between male and female when sex ed is discussed.

I had mandatory AIDS education from 4th grade through 12th grade (state requirement back in the 90's, I don't know if it's still required) and puberty education even before that.  We were never separated by gender as it was considered important that kids know what's happening to the opposite gendered folks as well.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1521 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:35 AM »
I'm not saying boys and girls should learn about what happening to each other, it's easier for girls to learn egrets happening to their own bodies without boys around?

nuit93

« Reply #1522 on: December 23, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
I'm not saying boys and girls should learn about what happening to each other, it's easier for girls to learn egrets happening to their own bodies without boys around?

Maybe--I don't have any memory of learning about that in an all-female space though, except at home during the time when it was just my mom and sister and I.  Which I think is when I learned most of  "what to expect when you're older", I would have been about 6 or 7?

I don't know as it's easier or harder for the students, that was awhile ago.  I do know that when my mom was attending a private, religious school, it was rather embarrassing for the young, fresh-out-of-seminary priest to be talking about periods :)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1523 on: December 23, 2013, 12:28:29 AM »
Different methods of contraception are covered quite extensively in school here.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1524 on: December 23, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »

Maybe--I don't have any memory of learning about that in an all-female space though, except at home during the time when it was just my mom and sister and I.  Which I think is when I learned most of  "what to expect when you're older", I would have been about 6 or 7?

I don't know as it's easier or harder for the students, that was awhile ago.  I do know that when my mom was attending a private, religious school, it was rather embarrassing for the young, fresh-out-of-seminary priest to be talking about periods :)
There were no women teachers?

CakeEater

« Reply #1525 on: December 23, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »
I don't know the ins and outs of how each form of contraception affects the body - why would you know unless you had reason to find out?

Because it's important? ???

Lots of stuff is important. Doesn't mean I know all of it.

nuit93

« Reply #1526 on: December 23, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »

There were no women teachers?

There were nuns also, but there were apparently none available to teach about human biology.  I suspect they didn't make the poor guy teach that class for long!

So, being the second generation to learn about puberty in mixed situations...I can see how in some ways it would be easier to learn about it in separate classes, however I don't think it should be this hugely mysterious thing either.  If the classes are separated, boys still need to know what girls are going through and vice versa.  I knew people whose classes were separated for that and they only ever learned about what they should expect, not what the other gender would be going through.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1527 on: December 23, 2013, 01:10:11 AM »
This is an interesting discussion, but we have drifted a little OT.

Here's one: in the past I've had trouble with iron deficiency and had to go on liver tablets (not nice at all) until I found a good supplement to help me. This was a while ago and since then I've become a blood donor and they test your iron levels just before you donate.

My mum had a bee in her bonnet that this might be an issue in my pregnancy. I said it might, it's something to keep an eye on but I pointed out that I'd been a blood donor and am taking pregnancy vitamins that also contain iron.

Bluenomi

« Reply #1528 on: December 23, 2013, 01:24:38 AM »

Here's one: in the past I've had trouble with iron deficiency and had to go on liver tablets (not nice at all) until I found a good supplement to help me. This was a while ago and since then I've become a blood donor and they test your iron levels just before you donate.

My mum had a bee in her bonnet that this might be an issue in my pregnancy. I said it might, it's something to keep an eye on but I pointed out that I'd been a blood donor and am taking pregnancy vitamins that also contain iron.

Iron deficiency is common in pregnancy, I know the twins sucked a stack out of me. They do check for it though so it's not usually a huge issue. Just don't take iron supplements with tea, it stops it being absorbed fully

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1529 on: December 23, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »

Iron deficiency is common in pregnancy, I know the twins sucked a stack out of me. They do check for it though so it's not usually a huge issue. Just don't take iron supplements with tea, it stops it being absorbed fully

What about with coffee?  is it the caffeine or are there specific tea properties that cause the iron to not absorb?  I'm asking for purely personal and selfish reasons :)