Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 304629 times)

m2kbug

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1545 on: December 23, 2013, 10:06:44 AM »
This is an interesting discussion, but we have drifted a little OT.

Here's one: in the past I've had trouble with iron deficiency and had to go on liver tablets (not nice at all) until I found a good supplement to help me. This was a while ago and since then I've become a blood donor and they test your iron levels just before you donate.

My mum had a bee in her bonnet that this might be an issue in my pregnancy. I said it might, it's something to keep an eye on but I pointed out that I'd been a blood donor and am taking pregnancy vitamins that also contain iron.

Iron deficiency is common in pregnancy, I know the twins sucked a stack out of me. They do check for it though so it's not usually a huge issue. Just don't take iron supplements with tea, it stops it being absorbed fully

I never heard of that!  I know there are some drugs where you have to avoid citrus, but I never heard of tea.  Do you know what is in the tea that messes with absorption?  Does it depend on the type of tea?

I have no idea actually. My midwife knew I don't drink coffee, just tea, so I don't know if it's just tea or caffeine. And you should take iron with vit c apparently, most supplements have if added.

From what I understand, it is the tannins in tea that can cause problems. I don't think coffee has any.

I just did a quick google and it is the tannins in tea and coffee.  Apparently, though, for people drink a lot of tea and coffee, the effects on blocking absorption reduces.  Additionally this is only non-heme iron (heme iron comes from meat).  I think there is less tannin in coffee, so maybe coffee wouldn't disturb absorption as much as tea.

nayberry

« Reply #1546 on: December 23, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »
i am one of those lucky women who doesn't have a period whilst on the pill, and you know what, i love it!!!

on the subject of iron and tea, many years ago, i was actually put on meds by my doctor as i was borderline anaemic and when he learnt how much tea i drank daily he laughed and said "well that'd explain it".  i was doctor ordered to up my red meat intake and as much green veg as i could eat.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1547 on: December 23, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »
This is an interesting discussion, but we have drifted a little OT.

Here's one: in the past I've had trouble with iron deficiency and had to go on liver tablets (not nice at all) until I found a good supplement to help me. This was a while ago and since then I've become a blood donor and they test your iron levels just before you donate.

My mum had a bee in her bonnet that this might be an issue in my pregnancy. I said it might, it's something to keep an eye on but I pointed out that I'd been a blood donor and am taking pregnancy vitamins that also contain iron.

Iron deficiency is common in pregnancy, I know the twins sucked a stack out of me. They do check for it though so it's not usually a huge issue. Just don't take iron supplements with tea, it stops it being absorbed fully

I never heard of that!  I know there are some drugs where you have to avoid citrus, but I never heard of tea.  Do you know what is in the tea that messes with absorption?  Does it depend on the type of tea?

I am fairly sure that those warnings are specifically about grapefruit (whole fruit or juice). Grapefruit can interfere with some medications, and can make others more potent. So it's not a simple "avoid grapefruit juice" but "if you have been taking your morning pills with grapefruit juice and decide to switch to water, milk, or some other juice, check with your doctor or pharmacist." Your current medication dosages may be based on how much you needed while taking them with grapefruit.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #1548 on: December 23, 2013, 02:12:54 PM »
I was also told that there are small holes in the condoms that are too small for sperm to get through but the HIV virus bits (whatever they're called) fit right through them so if you have sex with someone with HIV while wearing a condom, you are getting concentrated HIV. 

Well, the 'holes that sperm don't fit through but HIV does' is true, if you're talking about lambskin condoms. Latex (and now nitrile and vinyl) condoms don't have that problem.
The 'concentrated HIV' bit is pure horse hockey, though.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1549 on: December 23, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
I may have mentioned this before but when I worked retail we had a staff member who was in his 20s who when asked to clean the bathroom said I don't clean my own bathroom why would I clean the one here.  ???   My boss had him clean it every shift he was on for the next month.
He also had to be told to dilute mr clean before using.    Apparently his mother would clean for him when she came to visit::)

I absolutely dislike parents like that... isn't the whole point of parenting to turn your kids into productive members of society who can stand on their own two feet?  ???

I read a great quote the other day, and of course now I can't remember it exactly.  But it was something along the lines of, "The point isn't to raise a child.  The point is to raise an adult."  (And no, it did *not* mean that somebody still needing parenting as an adult--in fact, the point of the article was the opposite--but that if you have done your job successfully, at 18 or whatever, your daughter/son should be an adult.  You should be able to step back and watch them live their own life, which may be different from what you intend but is nevertheless their choice.)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1550 on: December 23, 2013, 04:57:15 PM »
I am fairly sure that those warnings are specifically about grapefruit (whole fruit or juice). Grapefruit can interfere with some medications, and can make others more potent. So it's not a simple "avoid grapefruit juice" but "if you have been taking your morning pills with grapefruit juice and decide to switch to water, milk, or some other juice, check with your doctor or pharmacist." Your current medication dosages may be based on how much you needed while taking them with grapefruit.

The warnings I've seen about grapefruit (and had explained by my doctor, and reinforced by my pharmacist :o) have all been "no grapefruit AT ALL while you're on this drug". There's an enzyme in grapefruit that binds to some chemicals and stops your liver from breaking them down and getting them out of your body; if you eat grapefruit or drink its juice while they're in your system, they'll build up until they hit overdose levels.

I can usually take or leave grapefruit. Of course the moment I was told I couldn't have any, I craved it...  ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1551 on: December 23, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »
Sex ed in my high school (we got one hour of it, for one day, during 10th grade.  I was already sexually active by then).  Our biology teacher was 8 months pregnant but the lesson was almost right out of mean girls:  only bad, sl#tty girls have sex before marriage.

Gee, I think we might've been in the same class. Though ours was taken in biology class, and it was mostly "Just don't have sex" or you'll get an STD or pregnant and your life will be ruined so no sex. Ever. In less you're married. In seventh grade we had a quick lesson on HIV, which I had to correct my teacher who kept saying you contract AIDS that actually you contract HIV, where we also learned you'd get HIV if you kissed someone with HIV (in theory it is possible if you both have open wounds in your mouth, but the probability is low). So do nothing until you're married. Nothing. Don't even look at each other. I was very annoying in my high school class. I raised my hand and asked about safe sex between members of the same sex. The teacher told me to ask my mother which I countered with "Why? She isn't a lesbian", hey she was supposed to be giving all of us information on safer sex! Luckily I had an awesome mom who once I came out educated herself and provided me with more information then I've ever wanted to have. She was the same before I came out. Knowledge is power, and power is good, is her battle cry.

On topic, I just had to have a long discussion with my BFF and her husband about how you use spray starch before you iron, not afterwards. And I don't iron that often (or use starch) but even I knew that one.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1552 on: December 23, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
When I was about 20, no boyfriend in sight I got what appeared to be thrush. Doctor swabbed it and told me to use thrush medication which didn't work as it turned out to be bacterial, not fungal. And I had to convince my doctor, no, I was not having sex so there was no need for my boyfriend to come in to be tested .

So, it is possible to have an infection without going near sex. And I had no idea of this.

greencat

« Reply #1553 on: December 23, 2013, 07:03:27 PM »
Yes, both yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis are very common infections that do not require sexual contact to develop - the vagina is home to a lot of microorganisms, and they sometimes get out of balance and one kind overpowers the rest of the population, leading to a symptomatic "infection" with one kind of microorganism.

However, the risk of having either of these conditions does increase after sexual activity, because of the introduction of new microorganisms into the area. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1554 on: December 23, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
Lil Sis got "the kissing disease" when someone borrowed her clarinet mouthpiece without asking, without cleaning it up afterward, and without changing the reed...at least, that's the only explanation that anyone could come up with, as her clarinet case stayed in the band hall instead of being carried around the school or put into her (too small) locker. 

Most of the kids left their instruments in the band hall at the time (1970s) - not just the ones with instruments that wouldn't fit in anyone's locker at school (tuba, trombone, French horn, and the like come to mind).  It was just "easier". 

But she didn't think about cleaning her mouthpiece or changing reeds before starting to play - because she didn't realize that someone else had used it until she already had it in her mouth & realized that it was "too damp" based on when she'd last played it...too late.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1555 on: December 23, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »
When I was about 40 I had to explain to a 40-year old friend that women bleed for several weeks after childbirth because of the increased blood volume during pregnancy.  Neither of us had ever had a full term pregnancy but you'd think she would have read Our Bodies, Ourselves or The Ms Guide to a Woman's Health back in the day.

I don't think that's especially common knowledge for people who haven't had babies.

I had never heard of it before!

Me either. I'm almost 40.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #1556 on: December 23, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
Because if you don't know that antibiotics will ruin the contraceptive effect of birth control pills - and you come down with strep on your honeymoon, and the foreign doctor doesn't TELL you that you need to do something besides take "The Pill" - then you could end up coming home pregnant, with a spouse who does NOT want children, and end up getting a divorce & custody of the results of the unexpected pregnancy....

Met the woman with twins and a spouse who kept insisting that she must have gotten pregnant with someone else before the honeymoon because she KNEW he didn't want any (insulting word for children) - so they couldn't be his.  He KNEW she'd been on the pill for their honeymoon but it must have been too late - because antibiotics had nothing to do with contraceptive failure.

He also refused to use barrier methods of contraception - or so the woman told me once...apparently he was a real winner...not that anything was said to the girls...

Yea, but that is info that directly impacts both of them! They should know! If you (or your partner) are going to be using The Pill as a contraceptive, then that is relevant. Otherwise, why would you know? If you're asexual, or homosexual, or waiting for marriage (at which point you intend to begin trying to conceive), there's no need there.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #1557 on: December 23, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »
The basics of the main types of contraception was covered in sex ed./health classes in Highschool (for me that was the 80s). From what I recall, we were told about the pill (including different types), physical barrier methods like condoms (bit disappointed now that we didn't get to try one on a banana - hilarious) or diaphragms, IUDS, as well as natural methods, like the rhythm method. We were taught about how they worked (how they prevent pregnancies or STIs) plus the key advantages and disadvantages of each choice.

So I'd expect that most adults* here (or at least those who were schooled in the same area at the same time as me) would know basically how the pill worked. No idea what they teach on Highschool here now but I'd expect it to be at least the same info, of not more.

*a few kids did not participate in the sex ed. part of health classes because their parents did not approve/preferred to cover this themselves. Assumes the ones who were there paid attention, instead of whispering and giggling.  :)

We didn't cover contraceptives much (late 80s), aside from knowing that they aren't guaranteed and hormonal ones don't prevent STDs. Pros and cons of various methods otherwise were not on the agenda. I don't recall how or when I learned about antibiotics and The Pill. For grade school sex ex (about age 12, mid 80s), it was all about the impending physical changes and how babies are made.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1558 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »
Because if you don't know that antibiotics will ruin the contraceptive effect of birth control pills - and you come down with strep on your honeymoon, and the foreign doctor doesn't TELL you that you need to do something besides take "The Pill" - then you could end up coming home pregnant, with a spouse who does NOT want children, and end up getting a divorce & custody of the results of the unexpected pregnancy....

Met the woman with twins and a spouse who kept insisting that she must have gotten pregnant with someone else before the honeymoon because she KNEW he didn't want any (insulting word for children) - so they couldn't be his.  He KNEW she'd been on the pill for their honeymoon but it must have been too late - because antibiotics had nothing to do with contraceptive failure.

He also refused to use barrier methods of contraception - or so the woman told me once...apparently he was a real winner...not that anything was said to the girls...

Yea, but that is info that directly impacts both of them! They should know! If you (or your partner) are going to be using The Pill as a contraceptive, then that is relevant. Otherwise, why would you know? If you're asexual, or homosexual, or waiting for marriage (at which point you intend to begin trying to conceive), there's no need there.

The twins are now in their mid-twenties.  Their younger half brother is about twenty.  And I don't think that they had much contact with their sperm donor since the divorce. 

I do remember thinking that if she had read the insert from her pill packet, she would have known about the side effects of antibiotics on the pill...but might not have had much luck with getting cooperation from the guy.  Never met him, he did sound like getting him to use an alternative method of birth control might not have worked, because he was on his honeymoon and she should not have gotten herself sick with strep throat.  Like she would have done that on purpose...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

katycoo

« Reply #1559 on: December 23, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »
Lil Sis got "the kissing disease" when someone borrowed her clarinet mouthpiece without asking, without cleaning it up afterward, and without changing the reed...at least, that's the only explanation that anyone could come up with, as her clarinet case stayed in the band hall instead of being carried around the school or put into her (too small) locker. 

Most of the kids left their instruments in the band hall at the time (1970s) - not just the ones with instruments that wouldn't fit in anyone's locker at school (tuba, trombone, French horn, and the like come to mind).  It was just "easier". 

But she didn't think about cleaning her mouthpiece or changing reeds before starting to play - because she didn't realize that someone else had used it until she already had it in her mouth & realized that it was "too damp" based on when she'd last played it...too late.

Glandular fever/Mono is saliva-transmitted.  It is most easily transmitted via kissing but you don't need a contamination story to justify contracting it. You can just get it by sharing airspace near an infected person by way of airborne droplets.  Best not to think about that concept too much.