Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 291486 times)

Carotte

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1560 on: December 24, 2013, 05:21:04 AM »

Yea, but that is info that directly impacts both of them! They should know! If you (or your partner) are going to be using The Pill as a contraceptive, then that is relevant. Otherwise, why would you know? If you're asexual, or homosexual, or waiting for marriage (at which point you intend to begin trying to conceive), there's no need there.

The twins are now in their mid-twenties.  Their younger half brother is about twenty.  And I don't think that they had much contact with their sperm donor since the divorce. 

I do remember thinking that if she had read the insert from her pill packet, she would have known about the side effects of antibiotics on the pill...but might not have had much luck with getting cooperation from the guy.  Never met him, he did sound like getting him to use an alternative method of birth control might not have worked, because he was on his honeymoon and she should not have gotten herself sick with strep throat.  Like she would have done that on purpose...

The insert doesn't always make it easy either. I know mine only list the active molecule name. I had to google the 7 or so barbaric names to learn that they were either antibiotics or long-term medication for epilepsy.
It should list the name of the molecules and also add a disclaimer like "some antibiotics are known to render useless the use of the contraceptive pill, please always tell your doctor what medication you take."

Right now it's been made known to the general population that the morning after pill is useless for women who weigh more than 180lb. The manufacturer didn't think it would be usefull to mention it  ::) >:( and the way stuff are done it will take about a year for the info to make it to the insert.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1561 on: December 24, 2013, 05:27:50 AM »
Technically you don't get a period when taking the contraception pill, you get an artificial bleed that was specifically included by the manufactures because they thought women would be disturbed by the lack of periods when taking the pill. There are some types of contraceptive pill where there is no monthly bleed - many women, such as myself, take them for medical reasons just for that purpose.

Exactly. The contraceptive pill I take means I can control when I have my "period". I take the pill for 21 days, then I stop taking it for 7 days, during which I have my period. After the 7 days, I start taking the pill again. So no, I don't have my period while I'm on the pill - I have it when I go off the pill. I just happen to go back on it again after the 7 days.

But theoretically I could just keep taking the pill with no breaks, and I wouldn't have my period.

And when I was on the pill I did take the sugar pills for 7 days but stopped having the artificial bleed. My doctor was fine with it. He said there was no reason to force it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1562 on: December 24, 2013, 05:31:30 AM »
When I was about 40 I had to explain to a 40-year old friend that women bleed for several weeks after childbirth because of the increased blood volume during pregnancy.  Neither of us had ever had a full term pregnancy but you'd think she would have read Our Bodies, Ourselves or The Ms Guide to a Woman's Health back in the day.

I don't think that's especially common knowledge for people who haven't had babies.

I had never heard of it before!

Me either. I'm almost 40.
And not all women do. I stopped spotting within a few days.

Shalamar

« Reply #1563 on: December 24, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
Speaking of contraception, I don't think I've mentioned this before - a friend of mine thought that she was safe from pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her firstborn.  She was astonished when she got pregnant with Son #2 when Son #1 was less than a year old.  She asked me "Did you know you could get pregnant while you're breastfeeding?"  Bemused, I said "Uh, I never thought about it, but I would have thought it was possible, yes."  "Oh.  Well, I didn't."

(To be fair, my understanding is that breastfeeding makes it LESS likely for you to get pregnant - it's your body's way of trying to make sure you don't have too many babies too quickly.  It's by no means foolproof, though.)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1564 on: December 24, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »
Speaking of contraception, I don't think I've mentioned this before - a friend of mine thought that she was safe from pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her firstborn.  She was astonished when she got pregnant with Son #2 when Son #1 was less than a year old.  She asked me "Did you know you could get pregnant while you're breastfeeding?"  Bemused, I said "Uh, I never thought about it, but I would have thought it was possible, yes."  "Oh.  Well, I didn't."

(To be fair, my understanding is that breastfeeding makes it LESS likely for you to get pregnant - it's your body's way of trying to make sure you don't have too many babies too quickly.  It's by no means foolproof, though.)

That's quite an image I got there!

Bethczar

« Reply #1565 on: December 24, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »
When I was about 40 I had to explain to a 40-year old friend that women bleed for several weeks after childbirth because of the increased blood volume during pregnancy.  Neither of us had ever had a full term pregnancy but you'd think she would have read Our Bodies, Ourselves or The Ms Guide to a Woman's Health back in the day.

I don't think that's especially common knowledge for people who haven't had babies.

Another 40 year old who didn't know. It 's one of those things I'd expect to learn from my OB/ GYN if I were pregnant.

magicdomino

« Reply #1566 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »

My mother heard the same thing.  That's why there is 11 months between my sister and my older brother. 

greencat

« Reply #1567 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
Another thing that can render the pill ineffective are some herbal remedies - my pharmacist flipped out when I filled my birth control and tried to buy a brand of "natural" cough drops. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1568 on: December 24, 2013, 12:03:35 PM »

I did too (stopped spotting within a few days).  I've honestly never known anyone who bled for weeks!   :o

Syrse

« Reply #1569 on: December 24, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

Oh dear... so many mothers believe this, and yet every single doctor tells you this isn't true, drives me batty.

cwm

« Reply #1570 on: December 24, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »

Oh dear... so many mothers believe this, and yet every single doctor tells you this isn't true, drives me batty.

Even better (?) is my friend. Whited out for sad events.

She got pregnant, had a miscarriage, and in her grief went back to him. Thought that because she had just been pregnant, she couldn't get pregnant again. Got pregnant again, didn't know it until she was nearly 5 months along, and had another miscarriage because she wasn't properly controlling her diabetes while pregnant.

Yes, it's dangerous to go off of folk knowledge for contraceptive purposes.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #1571 on: December 24, 2013, 12:35:06 PM »

BAHAHAHAA!

I have a friend who had baby #2 that way, as well.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1572 on: December 24, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
Lil Sis got "the kissing disease" when someone borrowed her clarinet mouthpiece without asking, without cleaning it up afterward, and without changing the reed...at least, that's the only explanation that anyone could come up with, as her clarinet case stayed in the band hall instead of being carried around the school or put into her (too small) locker. 

Most of the kids left their instruments in the band hall at the time (1970s) - not just the ones with instruments that wouldn't fit in anyone's locker at school (tuba, trombone, French horn, and the like come to mind).  It was just "easier". 

But she didn't think about cleaning her mouthpiece or changing reeds before starting to play - because she didn't realize that someone else had used it until she already had it in her mouth & realized that it was "too damp" based on when she'd last played it...too late.

Glandular fever/Mono is saliva-transmitted.  It is most easily transmitted via kissing but you don't need a contamination story to justify contracting it. You can just get it by sharing airspace near an infected person by way of airborne droplets.  Best not to think about that concept too much.

True - if anyone sneezed near a damp mouthpiece (while it was out of the mouth for even a few moments between clarinet parts or running scales) - the droplets could have contaminated a damp reed enough to pass it along to her, even if she hadn't been breathing contaminated air....

But they did catch someone red handed (Genetian Violet dried on a wallet and the few $1 bills in it) later that year stealing money - so the story might have spread about the instruments being used by someone.  It's been almost forty years ago - amazing how much MORE we know about disease now than then...and usually the kind of thing that means something is a lot more contagious than originally thought....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:57:06 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shalamar

« Reply #1573 on: December 24, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

The weird thing is, my friend is one of the most intelligent people I know, but she is remarkably ignorant/naÔve about some fundamental things.   The breastfeeding = contraception idea was just one of them.

She was a bit odd while she was pregnant with Son #2, but this might've just been baby brain - she was absolutely convinced that she was having a girl.  She hadn't had an ultrasound or anything - she was just sure.  Every time she referred to the baby, she said "she".  She had only girls' names picked out.  She started asking around for used baby girl clothes.  When Son #2 was born, she was flabbergasted.

audhs

« Reply #1574 on: December 24, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

BAHAHAHAA!

I have a friend who had baby #2 that way, as well.

Also that they are serious when they tell you oral contraceptives need to be taken consistently and that even missing a day or two can make them ineffective.

The six year age gap between my two youngest attests to that.   ;)
Eta I think this something an adult who is taking oral contraceptives should know not just any adult.  That said I did know and was still not as carful as I should have been
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:01:14 PM by audhs »