Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 302276 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1575 on: December 24, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
Speaking of contraception, I don't think I've mentioned this before - a friend of mine thought that she was safe from pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her firstborn.  She was astonished when she got pregnant with Son #2 when Son #1 was less than a year old.  She asked me "Did you know you could get pregnant while you're breastfeeding?"  Bemused, I said "Uh, I never thought about it, but I would have thought it was possible, yes."  "Oh.  Well, I didn't."

(To be fair, my understanding is that breastfeeding makes it LESS likely for you to get pregnant - it's your body's way of trying to make sure you don't have too many babies too quickly.  It's by no means foolproof, though.)

I knew that, and I ended up getting pregnant, but I also picked up a nasty virus of some kind in the first six weeks and lost the baby about the third month....so...

Mom was a science teacher and kept insisting that she'd told me "stuff" - but I have come to the conclusion that she might have told me "stuff" at a level that was years in advance of my understanding.  Because there were things that I might have been told but I didn't *know* it until I was in college or a mother myself, no reference to how to use the "stuff" Mom had told me at two, five, or ten was given with the information about "stuff".

It might have been as random as cake rising due to carbon dioxide bubbles forming when baking soda or powder came in contact with heat & moisture or something more esoteric.  Like what epilepsy & its symptoms meant....in terms of someone not being able to drive, at risk of falling down in a seizure, etc. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

BB-VA

« Reply #1576 on: December 24, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
When I was about 40 I had to explain to a 40-year old friend that women bleed for several weeks after childbirth because of the increased blood volume during pregnancy.  Neither of us had ever had a full term pregnancy but you'd think she would have read Our Bodies, Ourselves or The Ms Guide to a Woman's Health back in the day.

I don't think that's especially common knowledge for people who haven't had babies.

I had never heard of it before!

Me either. I'm almost 40.
And not all women do. I stopped spotting within a few days.

I did too (stopped spotting within a few days).  I've honestly never known anyone who bled for weeks!   :o

I did.  Got over it, though.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

BB-VA

« Reply #1577 on: December 24, 2013, 01:31:10 PM »
I had Mono last summer, and I have NO idea about the source of infection.  Granted, I ALSO had Lyme disease at the same time, so possibly it happened via a weakened immune system and some type of public  contact.

I did some research on Mono, and it seems that MANY people contract it during their lives and never know they have had it.  In its mild form, the symptoms are much like a  cold or flu.  And since it is a virus, antibiotics don't work, and you have to tough it out.  OTOH, one exposure confers later immunity.

Lyme disease, OTOH...well, let's say I am paranoid about walking in weeds these days.  Second sickest I have ever been in my life. other than the Mystery Bug I had in 1997 (13 days in hospital).  And my NP now thinks that maybe that was Lyme disease too - it wasn't tested for back then.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1578 on: December 24, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »
Speaking of contraception, I don't think I've mentioned this before - a friend of mine thought that she was safe from pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her firstborn.  She was astonished when she got pregnant with Son #2 when Son #1 was less than a year old.  She asked me "Did you know you could get pregnant while you're breastfeeding?"  Bemused, I said "Uh, I never thought about it, but I would have thought it was possible, yes."  "Oh.  Well, I didn't."

(To be fair, my understanding is that breastfeeding makes it LESS likely for you to get pregnant - it's your body's way of trying to make sure you don't have too many babies too quickly.  It's by no means foolproof, though.)

I am one of those (lucky?) women for whom this *is* the case.  I like to try to breastfeed for the first year (12 months).  My first three kids are all 21 months apart.  You can do the math.  :)

I think the bleeding after childbirth is something that can really vary woman to woman, and I think it's most extreme with the first baby?  With my first, I know that I was concerned because they said if it continued past 6 weeks, call your doctor, and I was running right up against that timetable when it finally stopped.  With my third, I don't think it continued past the two days in the hospital.  So, yeah, it can vary a lot, even for the same person.

I wouldn't consider either of those something "any adult should know," though.  I think they *are* something that "any woman should be told by her doctor," at least if they're relevant.  I was really annoyed when I decided to try Depo Provera once, and only *after* I got the shot did they mention, "Oh, by the way, this can lead to bone density problems and make your bones really brittle, so take a calcium supplement and you can only take this for two years," and I thought that was really inappropriate.  Not to mention that they didn't tell you it can cause a perpetual period that lasts for months.  Thanks, military medicine, great job there.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1579 on: December 24, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
I did some research on Mono, and it seems that MANY people contract it during their lives and never know they have had it.  In its mild form, the symptoms are much like a  cold or flu.  And since it is a virus, antibiotics don't work, and you have to tough it out.  OTOH, one exposure confers later immunity.

Unless, of course, you're me. Had it when I was 12, and again in college. UGH.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1580 on: December 24, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
Reading all about contraception here....makes me really glad I'm a lesbian. And reminds me of a, seriously I have to tell you this story.

I was in college at the time and one of the girls had decided she wanted to go on the pill, so I took her to get it (she didn't have a car and was new to town), after we picked up her script from the pharmacy she was reading the little insert and was asking if I knew about this, that and other. Because of my mother's sex education that started at 3 (age appropriate), I did know several things but some of it I didn't know. She was talking about how she was going to have to remember to take it every day at the same time and I commented "So glad I don't have to remember to do that", which promoted her to ask "Oh, you aren't on the pill? Do you do depo or that patch thing?" and I responded that no I didn't take any contraceptive medication. Cue her "But, Glitter, aren't, don't you pretty regularly play Scrabble?" and said "Well yes, but I'm a lesbian", and she says "But, aren't you worried about getting pregnant?", I just kind of stared at her for awhile. The pieces did fall into place eventually and she goes "Oh right...I never thought about that..lucky".

I've actually had a few adults forget exactly how babies are made. It's kind of funny to watch them go, oh right cause you'd need and you don't have...got it.

sunnygirl

« Reply #1581 on: December 24, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
On a slight tangent from birth control, did you know that the SSRI class of antidepressants (Prozac, etc.) were never tested on female subjects before being given FDA approval and released for public use, specifically because the doctors didn't want to have to factor in the menstrual cycle and the hormonal and neurochemical changes that occur during it, during testing?  Even though they are prescribed much more frequently for women? >:( That's something I didn't know until I started researching it, and I think few people know, but I think people (well, at least women taking SSRIs) should know. My post-doc research is/was on more or less exactly that, incidentally.

Reading all about contraception here....makes me really glad I'm a lesbian. And reminds me of a, seriously I have to tell you this story.
Me too.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1582 on: December 24, 2013, 04:35:04 PM »
A friend of mine gave birth (naturally and at home) recently.  When the midwife came for a check up a couple of days afterwards, she announced to my friend "we'll have to sort out some contraception for you."

While it's a good thing they go through this with new mothers, my (exhausted and sore) friend just thought, "steady on, give me a chance!"

menley

« Reply #1583 on: December 24, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »

Unless, of course, you're me. Had it when I was 12, and again in college. UGH.

Technically, once you have mono, it stays in your system, dormant. So yes, you can only get it once, but you can have symptoms resurface, generally when your immune system is already low for another reason. It's really unfortunate, I have had 4 separate "bouts" of mono because my immune system is compromised, so when I got pneumonia, bronchitis, and a really awful case of the flu (three separate incidents, not all at once luckily!), my mono resurfaced. Sigh.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1584 on: December 24, 2013, 07:00:21 PM »

Yep.  That's why Grandsons #3 & #4 are only 16 months apart.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1585 on: December 24, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
On a slight tangent from birth control, did you know that the SSRI class of antidepressants (Prozac, etc.) were never tested on female subjects before being given FDA approval and released for public use, specifically because the doctors didn't want to have to factor in the menstrual cycle and the hormonal and neurochemical changes that occur during it, during testing? Even though they are prescribed much more frequently for women? >:( That's something I didn't know until I started researching it, and I think few people know, but I think people (well, at least women taking SSRIs) should know. My post-doc research is/was on more or less exactly that, incidentally.
Isn't that the case for most testing for new meds?
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1586 on: December 24, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
When I was younger, every prescription antibiotic I ever received came with a big, garish sticker warning about how antibiotics could compromise the effectiveness of birth control pills. Haven't seen one lately, but maybe that's because the pharmacist saw my DOB (1958) and figured it was no longer an issue.

BTW, until this thread, my 55-year-old, never been pregnant or given birth self had no clue about the bleeding after birth thing.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

JadeGirl

« Reply #1587 on: December 24, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »
On a slight tangent from birth control, did you know that the SSRI class of antidepressants (Prozac, etc.) were never tested on female subjects before being given FDA approval and released for public use, specifically because the doctors didn't want to have to factor in the menstrual cycle and the hormonal and neurochemical changes that occur during it, during testing? Even though they are prescribed much more frequently for women? >:( That's something I didn't know until I started researching it, and I think few people know, but I think people (well, at least women taking SSRIs) should know. My post-doc research is/was on more or less exactly that, incidentally.
Isn't that the case for most testing for new meds?

Not anymore.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1588 on: December 25, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

Oh dear... so many mothers believe this, and yet every single doctor tells you this isn't true, drives me batty.
It's sad- but the best  clue is knowing your family history. Both my grandmothers had a second child quickly after the first one, and I'm sure they were still nursing the first child since formula wasn't available. There's too many accounts of 'Irish twins' and other quickly-spaced children during times when a woman had to have been breastfeeding.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1589 on: December 25, 2013, 08:33:26 AM »
A friend of mine gave birth (naturally and at home) recently.  When the midwife came for a check up a couple of days afterwards, she announced to my friend "we'll have to sort out some contraception for you."

While it's a good thing they go through this with new mothers, my (exhausted and sore) friend just thought, "steady on, give me a chance!"
Once I went into a clinic because I had a fever and sore throat (turned out to be strep). While I was waiting fo the resident, I started chilling, and I was lying down on the exam table covered with my coat when he came into the room. He did a test for strep, and then asked if there were anything else I needed. Contraceptives?
I know he was just following some sort of checklist that said ask women in their 20s about BC, but at the time, I was not seeing anyone and the thought that popped into my head was, 'I'm too SICK to be doing anything like that!' In my defense, my temp was 103, and the idea of meeting a man on my walk home and suddenly being so overcome with lust and passion that I'd drag him back to my apartment was ludicrous.