News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 20, 2017, 12:55:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1169253 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1620 on: December 30, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »
Yeah - at five or six most people see the world simply.  It's a binary world - good or bad; sweet or sour; light or dark; sleepy or awake; and other problems are simple.

As you get older, more options to almost any question you could be asked crop up...the stereotypical comment about the lesser of two evils was not made by a child - but rather by a rather disillusioned adult.  The older you get, to a certain point, the more "shades of gray" you can see (not intended as a reference to any books of recent best seller status).
There are people who still see the world in black and white, unfortunately. :(

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1621 on: December 30, 2013, 06:03:15 PM »
There will always be people who WANT to see things in black & white - because it is easier to make a choice when there are ONLY two options.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1622 on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
I've got that Michael Jackson song stuck in my head now...thanks

Coruscation

« Reply #1623 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »
Speaking of contraception, I don't think I've mentioned this before - a friend of mine thought that she was safe from pregnancy while she was breastfeeding her firstborn.  She was astonished when she got pregnant with Son #2 when Son #1 was less than a year old.  She asked me "Did you know you could get pregnant while you're breastfeeding?"  Bemused, I said "Uh, I never thought about it, but I would have thought it was possible, yes."  "Oh.  Well, I didn't."

(To be fair, my understanding is that breastfeeding makes it LESS likely for you to get pregnant - it's your body's way of trying to make sure you don't have too many babies too quickly.  It's by no means foolproof, though.)

They actually tested this one reasonably recently. It works for the first six months provided that you feed the baby every six hours.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1624 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:01 AM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

The weird thing is, my friend is one of the most intelligent people I know, but she is remarkably ignorant/na´ve about some fundamental things.   The breastfeeding = contraception idea was just one of them.

She was a bit odd while she was pregnant with Son #2, but this might've just been baby brain - she was absolutely convinced that she was having a girl.  She hadn't had an ultrasound or anything - she was just sure.  Every time she referred to the baby, she said "she".  She had only girls' names picked out.  She started asking around for used baby girl clothes.  When Son #2 was born, she was flabbergasted.
I read a book by Jared Diamond about tribal child care methods from around the world. When you have the baby strapped to your chest in a sling and do frequent small feeds almost constantly throughout the day, then the constant hormone stimulation caused by the feeding will act as a natural birthcontrol method until the child is weaned. However, more modern feeding schedules of a few big feeds every few hours doesn't cut it, you need constant little bursts to get the proper effect. So while it does theoretically work, you need to use "stone age" baby feeding schedules to achieve the effect.  ;)
<3

PastryGoddess

« Reply #1625 on: December 31, 2013, 01:52:02 AM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

The weird thing is, my friend is one of the most intelligent people I know, but she is remarkably ignorant/na´ve about some fundamental things.   The breastfeeding = contraception idea was just one of them.

She was a bit odd while she was pregnant with Son #2, but this might've just been baby brain - she was absolutely convinced that she was having a girl.  She hadn't had an ultrasound or anything - she was just sure.  Every time she referred to the baby, she said "she".  She had only girls' names picked out.  She started asking around for used baby girl clothes.  When Son #2 was born, she was flabbergasted.
I read a book by Jared Diamond about tribal child care methods from around the world. When you have the baby strapped to your chest in a sling and do frequent small feeds almost constantly throughout the day, then the constant hormone stimulation caused by the feeding will act as a natural birthcontrol method until the child is weaned. However, more modern feeding schedules of a few big feeds every few hours doesn't cut it, you need constant little bursts to get the proper effect. So while it does theoretically work, you need to use "stone age" baby feeding schedules to achieve the effect.  ;)

Inquiring minds would like to know if carrying a large stone or wood club is allowed :D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #1626 on: December 31, 2013, 05:31:22 AM »
Hee hee, RingTailedLemur

Inquiring minds would like to know if carrying a large stone or wood club is allowed :D
Whatever floats your deerskin coracle.  ;D
<3

oogyda

« Reply #1627 on: December 31, 2013, 07:15:24 AM »
We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Pen^2

« Reply #1628 on: December 31, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
Several years ago, the maths department I was involved with was having an official photograph taken. They were worried, however, that all of the people who were going to be in the photo had glasses, but they didn't want to project a strong stereotypical "nerd" image and were concerned about the publicity. They were trying to think up people who wouldn't be out of place to include in the photo and struggled for ages to come up with anyone appropriate. I walked in on them after they'd been discussing it for over an hour, heard the dilemma, and asked, "Why don't some of you just take of your glasses for the duration of the photo?" The idea hadn't occurred to any of them.

Virg

« Reply #1629 on: December 31, 2013, 01:03:27 PM »
oogyda wrote:

"We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer."

In a situation where a truck is stuck by mere inches, which would have to be the case if flattening the trailer tires would free it, why wouldn't the fire department just take ten minutes to saw the top of the trailer off with a safety saw (assuming that none of them had ever heard the logic problem somewhere else) or just pull it back out with a winch?  And why in the world would an engineer be getting involved?

Virg

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1630 on: December 31, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
We've had the engineers called to assess whether or not the bridge/overpass is still safe but not to figure out how to get the truck out.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lowspark

« Reply #1631 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »
We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer.

That's a really old story/puzzle that I've heard multiple times over many years. One of the characters in in the movie, Working Girl (1988) tells that story almost verbatim.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Virg

« Reply #1632 on: December 31, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"We've had the engineers called to assess whether or not the bridge/overpass is still safe but not to figure out how to get the truck out."

That's where I was thinking with this.  The only time I've ever seen an assessment that didn't wait until the mess was cleaned up was when a crash and fire compromised a pillar and they were concerned that extracting the wreck would cause a collapse.

Of course, the whole thing has me scratching my head because unless the truck driver backed up into the bridge, letting air out of the trailer tires wouldn't lower the end of the trailer that was stuck to begin with.

Virg

squeakers

« Reply #1633 on: December 31, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"We've had the engineers called to assess whether or not the bridge/overpass is still safe but not to figure out how to get the truck out."

That's where I was thinking with this.  The only time I've ever seen an assessment that didn't wait until the mess was cleaned up was when a crash and fire compromised a pillar and they were concerned that extracting the wreck would cause a collapse.

Of course, the whole thing has me scratching my head because unless the truck driver backed up into the bridge, letting air out of the trailer tires wouldn't lower the end of the trailer that was stuck to begin with.

Virg

For the local truck eating bridges often times it's the rear end/trailer that gets caught.  The drivers know how tall their cab is but forget that without a load their trailer is a little higher than normal.  And sometimes the new trailer is taller than what they had ran with before.

http://wqad.com/2012/02/25/qc-truck-eating-bridges/

http://qctimes.com/gallery/traffic/historic-photos-q-c-s-truck-eating-bridges/collection_0b1b72cc-4fd7-11e0-b650-001cc4c03286.html#0
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1634 on: December 31, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
I just had a conversation with someone who had no idea that if you insert a toothpick (or knife, I usually use a knife) into the center of the cake and it comes out clean then the cake is done. She had no idea. She's baked cakes before. Even the boxed cakes, right on the box it says to insert a toothpick in the center and when it comes out clean it's done. I asked how she's been doing and she just said she put in for the longest time the box said and figured it'd be done when she pulled it out.  :o

She even said "Like totally clean? Like...how does that work? Really totally clean?", yes, clean! Oh dear.