Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 330991 times)

Cami

I had to explain to a male coworker, one who is married and has a kid, that women don't have prostates, therefore we won't cover a Prostate Specific Antigen test for a woman. Trying to be as delicate as possible, I had to explain that the prostate is part of the equipment that makes a male a male. Feeling increasingly desperate because he was still clueless, I said "It's just like a guy won't have a cervix."

When he asked me what a cervix was, I told him to ask his wife. My manager overheard my side of the conversation with her jaw open because she couldn't believe I had to explain the difference between boy bits and girl bits to a guy around my age (36ish).

I misread that as, "women don't have potatoes"  :P

A friend of mine was in her first year of med school. The topic of the tutorial happened to be human puberty or something similar, and the tutor was kind of rushing through the obvious stuff that everyone knows to get to the more important details that they would need to know as doctors. But then one guy raised his hand and interrupted...

"Hang on, did you say that during menstruation, blood comes out constantly? For days?"
"Yes, that's pretty much the biggest symptom of menstruation. Anyway-"
"No, no, I mean, constantly? Come on!"
"What do you mean? Of course it's constant; they can't just turn it off and on for convenience anymore than you can turn your heart off when you feel like it!"

The guy's jaw hit the ground. Apparently he thought it was just bloody urine. He had no idea that it occurred outside bathroom visits. I don't know if he finished med school. I've heard worse misconceptions, but not from med students.
I knew a guy who thought that too.  It was in college. He and his girlfriend were having a huge fight over playing scrabble since she did not enjoy scrabble while having her period. He kept insisting that she was being mean and lying since everyone knows that women only bleed when they go to the bathroom. It was a GREAT shock to discover to him that women are not that lucky.

If that were the case, why would there be a need for maxi pads and tampons?  Although I guess somebody who is that clueless really doesn't think about those things. 
Actually, that point was included in the discussion and his defense was indeed an indignant, "Well, I never thought about that! Why would i?" Oh I don't know, because that reality would contradict a belief you have and a reasonably intelligent and/or curious person would want to get to the bottom of a contradiction.

Katana_Geldar

No it doesn't, ad hoc means something else entirely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hoc

And where do babies come from according to those guys? The bum? I wonder how he would react if the blood got on him, wouldn't take much of a demonstration.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:27:43 PM by Katana_Geldar »

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
The correct phrase is: post hoc ergo propter hoc. "After this therefore because of this." It's easy enough to confuse with ad hoc since that, too, can be a logical fallacy. The later is best translated as "making up an explanation on the spot."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
The Texas Rangers (law enforcement not baseball team) and the Mounties are both real.

I have a 2nd grader that wanted to do a report about lions - but we were researching the Amazon Rainforest. So I did a search for "big cats Amazon Rainforest" so she could do another big cat which led to her having a fit. Lion, tigers are in every jungle and they aren't cats. With this one - she is so stubborn I can see her an adult still insisting that lions aren't cats.

My 2nd graders can sing the nifty fifty. Unfortunately such memorization is considered low level learning and we are discouraged from having the kids memorize facts. Even math facts we are supposed to build their knowledge through hands on activities. There is a point were they should either stop skip counting and know that 5 x6 = 30 or be able to skip count so quick you don't know they are doing it. I feel like some facts are basic knowledge that you need to perform higher level thinking. Yes you can look up facts, but if you don't have some basic knowledge you can fall for so many scams/conspiracy theorists.

My HS history book was written so that Korea, Kennedy's election and assassination, Vietnam, the Civil Rights movement, Nixon, Watergate, and Ford were crammed  in about 6 pages with lots of pictures. That confused me. Considering Reagan was in his first term - I guess it was amazing that any of that was in my Textbook.

I have another one that confuses a good number of adults. Ford was never elected Vice President or President. To date he is the only person to be appointed VP (after Agnew resigned)  then become President Under the 25 amendment (after Nixon Resigned).

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Browyn

As a Canadian, we had to memorize the provinces and territories and their capitols.  But it is a heck of lot easier to remember 10 provinces and 2 (now 3) territories than 50 states and 2 (I think) territories.

There are 4 US terriorities.  US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, & American Samoa.

NyaChan

Interesting, I'd heard of ad hoc ergo propter hoc defined as:  "with this therefore because of this"  though post hoc ergo.... was the one I'd heard used more frequently and in the way artk defines.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Ignorance is excusable. Willful ignorance needs to be beaten to death with the Shovel of Knowledge.

Oh, this is good!  I'm stealing it NOW!

Amen!  If I was still working, this would go over my desk in the office. 

Betelnut

As a Canadian, we had to memorize the provinces and territories and their capitols.  But it is a heck of lot easier to remember 10 provinces and 2 (now 3) territories than 50 states and 2 (I think) territories.

There are 4 US terriorities.  US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, & American Samoa.

The Northern Mariana Islands are also a territory.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I have never been able to convince my father that Tylenol or any medication is classified as a drug. He doesn't believe it and I got tired of arguing about it.

I have had to tell people many times that Florida does get cool in the winter months, into the 20's sometimes, so it is a good idea to bring a variety of clothing when you come on vacation in January. Also, May through October is the rainy season, so it tends to rain every afternoon. Many people expect Florida to be picture postcard sunny, hot, and blue skies 365 days a year.

Shalamar

While working in Pennsylvania, I told my supervisor that I wouldn't be at the office the following week, because I'd be in Regina on a course.   She looked puzzled and said "... Regina?"   I said "It's in Saskatchewan."   "... Saskatchewan?"

I was a bit gobsmacked.   I probably couldn't pick out, say, Montana on a map - but at least I've HEARD of it!

Library Dragon

I have a 2nd grader that wanted to do a report about lions - but we were researching the Amazon Rainforest. So I did a search for "big cats Amazon Rainforest" so she could do another big cat which led to her having a fit. Lion, tigers are in every jungle and they aren't cats. With this one - she is so stubborn I can see her an adult still insisting that lions aren't cats.

Breaking through the presumptions can be so hard. Every year I taught 6th graders how to do a research paper. I told them they could do it on anything in or having to do with Africa.  First was getting them to understand that Africa is a continent not a country.  We would have heated discussions when I asked if the following topics could be the paper's topic:

1. The Pyramids
2. Diamonds
3. Penguins

I had lots of arguments over the latter.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
- Yes, the show I like is scary and gory. Yes, I like to watch it. No, really; I like being scared. Really. You don't have to like what I like. Promise. I'm not gonna make you watch something that will upset you. That's not something I like to do. Yes, it's really okay for you to watch something nice and fluffy.

Sheesh. And what makes it even worse is that the person then asked me to record Bones for her. Er...yeah. That's not gory and slightly creepy at all. ::) *headdesk* Granted, it's nowhere as bad as Hannibal (the show I like), but I had many DNW images from that show.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

snowdragon

Breaking through the presumptions can be so hard. Every year I taught 6th graders how to do a research paper. I told them they could do it on anything in or having to do with Africa.  First was getting them to understand that Africa is a continent not a country.  We would have heated discussions when I asked if the following topics could be the paper's topic:

1. The Pyramids
2. Diamonds
3. Penguins

That's because there is a African Penguin  http://www.penguins.cl/african-penguins.htm 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store

1. The Pyramids
2. Diamonds
3. Penguins

That's because there is a African Penguin  http://www.penguins.cl/african-penguins.htm 

I thought she was saying that the kids thought that penguins couldn't be in Africa because it's not cold enough

lemonfloorwax

Yes, we do, in fact, vote for Senators.
No, you can not see the Eiffel Tower from everywhere in France.
No, Pennsylvania Dutch do not speak Dutch, they speak German.
No, the Amish do not have to get driver's licenses.
Yes, bob cats can be female. (How did she think they reproduced?  :o)
No, moth balls are not made from dead moths.
No, waxed paper and parchment (baking) paper are not interchangeable.
No, guinea pigs are not from New Guinea.
No, ink jet printers do not print white. You can not stick a black piece of paper in the printer and expect it to "print with the white ink".

All of these were from the same woman. I honestly have no idea how she survived to adulthood.

I disagree with #1.  In some countries, such as Canada, senators are appointed rather than elected.  I don't think that this should be considered a "silly question" from visitors to the US.

No, this was from a woman who was born, raised, and educated in the United States.