Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 300691 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1650 on: December 31, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
I just had a conversation with someone who had no idea that if you insert a toothpick (or knife, I usually use a knife) into the center of the cake and it comes out clean then the cake is done. She had no idea. She's baked cakes before. Even the boxed cakes, right on the box it says to insert a toothpick in the center and when it comes out clean it's done. I asked how she's been doing and she just said she put in for the longest time the box said and figured it'd be done when she pulled it out.  :o

She even said "Like totally clean? Like...how does that work? Really totally clean?", yes, clean! Oh dear.

Ooooh boy.... that's just... wow.

There was an old joke about a home economics teacher who taught her students to check whether or not the cake was clean this way with a knife blade.

It seems that the knife came out so clean that they stuck ALL the dirty knives in the cake....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

sunnygirl

« Reply #1651 on: January 02, 2014, 05:02:53 PM »
I didn't know where to put this, but:
Dear Person I am doing a favour for who's supposed to be picking something up from my house,

My house is number 10 Fake Street. There is a massive '10' attached to the wall right next to the front door. It is directly between number 8 (also with huge digit '8' on front door) and Fakey Fake's Famous Restaurant which has a sign saying '12 Fake Street' on it. Please please explain why "Number 10 Fake Street, directly next door to Fakey Fake's Famous Restaurant" is so unbelievably cryptic that two visits and three days have resulted in you being "unable to find it."

I am starting to get worried that my house has fallen into a wormhole.

*The person isn't lying or anything to cover for not showing up, btw - she genuinely walked up and down my street and couldn't find it. I'm at a total loss how to explain any more clearly.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1652 on: January 02, 2014, 08:18:35 PM »
I didn't know where to put this, but:
Dear Person I am doing a favour for who's supposed to be picking something up from my house,

My house is number 10 Fake Street. There is a massive '10' attached to the wall right next to the front door. It is directly between number 8 (also with huge digit '8' on front door) and Fakey Fake's Famous Restaurant which has a sign saying '12 Fake Street' on it. Please please explain why "Number 10 Fake Street, directly next door to Fakey Fake's Famous Restaurant" is so unbelievably cryptic that two visits and three days have resulted in you being "unable to find it."

I am starting to get worried that my house has fallen into a wormhole.

*The person isn't lying or anything to cover for not showing up, btw - she genuinely walked up and down my street and couldn't find it. I'm at a total loss how to explain any more clearly.

I had a delivery once to our clear address - it works well with GPS. I said that there is a small white motorhome in the driveway, there are only three houses in our block, just north of  The Church, south of Known Facility parking lot. No obscuring shrubbery.

I watched the delivery van circle our median 3 times, then got complained to about how they couldn't find our place. Luckily, I just kind of chuckled.

Actually, I tried to GoogleEarth you. They couldn't find you either!  :)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1653 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
If you wanted to take your 8 year old daughter to the movies, which movie out of these would you choose?

A) Saving Mr. Banks
B) The new Hobbit movie
C) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
D) The Wolf of Wall Street

Got your answers? Okay. The correct answer was...D. Yes, a dad took his 8 year old daughter to see The Wolf of Wall Street, then came out 30 minutes later, very upset that it wasn't a family movie. Uh, sir, that movie is rated R, and is longer than the Hobbit movie. What on earth possessed you to think that it was at all appropriate??

To clarify: I do not have a problem with parents taking their kids to see more adult movies. However, I highly doubt any 8 year old girl would want to see a movie that has way more scrabbling than The Godfather movies, copious drug use, and is about a criminal who scammed a whole bunch of people out of their life savings.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1654 on: January 03, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »
Got your answers? Okay. The correct answer was...D. Yes, a dad took his 8 year old daughter to see The Wolf of Wall Street, then came out 30 minutes later, very upset that it wasn't a family movie. Uh, sir, that movie is rated R, and is longer than the Hobbit movie. What on earth possessed you to think that it was at all appropriate??

To clarify: I do not have a problem with parents taking their kids to see more adult movies. However, I highly doubt any 8 year old girl would want to see a movie that has way more scrabbling than The Godfather movies, copious drug use, and is about a criminal who scammed a whole bunch of people out of their life savings.

Maybe he thought it was like Little Red Riding Hood. But...about Wall Street. Or the Three Little Pigs. Wolfs feature in kid stories....though Wall Street...less so.

I probably would've wanted to see it at 8...my mother would've put a stop to that. Only because she would be concered I'd figure out how to scam people out of their life savings by watching the movie. When I saw Catch Me If You Can (I was 16 at the time) I said something along the lines of "Wow, I bet I could do that..." mom then reminded me the FBI had in fact caught him and I would not do well in federal prison.

violinp

« Reply #1655 on: January 03, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »

Maybe he thought it was like Little Red Riding Hood. But...about Wall Street. Or the Three Little Pigs. Wolfs feature in kid stories....though Wall Street...less so.

I probably would've wanted to see it at 8...my mother would've put a stop to that. Only because she would be concered I'd figure out how to scam people out of their life savings by watching the movie. When I saw Catch Me If You Can (I was 16 at the time) I said something along the lines of "Wow, I bet I could do that..." mom then reminded me the FBI had in fact caught him and I would not do well in federal prison.

In your defense, they caught the guy, but used him to catch criminals like him. So, even if you were arrested the FBI, you could be a consultant to them for decades! :P

The Wolf of Wall Street focuses more on the drugs and scrabble part than the crime part, as I understand. Many adults who came to our theater were scandalized by what was in the movie, so I don't think a grade schooler child was the right audience for it.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1656 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »
I was seriously annoyed when some couple brought a 2?ish toddler to a late-night showing of the Batman movie with Heath Ledger.   The kid rambled for the entire movie (she was sitting very near to my seat) and didn't seem put off by the mature content because she wasn't watching it, just entertaining herself.

I know finding a sitter can be a stretch but why inflict your kid on other movie-goers?  Can theaters please make a "no kids under x years old after 9pm in R-rated movies"???

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1657 on: January 03, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
I know finding a sitter can be a stretch but why inflict your kid on other movie-goers?  Can theaters please make a "no kids under x years old after 9pm in R-rated movies"???

Some theaters do. I make a point of giving them my business.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1658 on: January 03, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
Several years ago, the maths department I was involved with was having an official photograph taken. They were worried, however, that all of the people who were going to be in the photo had glasses, but they didn't want to project a strong stereotypical "nerd" image and were concerned about the publicity. They were trying to think up people who wouldn't be out of place to include in the photo and struggled for ages to come up with anyone appropriate. I walked in on them after they'd been discussing it for over an hour, heard the dilemma, and asked, "Why don't some of you just take of your glasses for the duration of the photo?" The idea hadn't occurred to any of them.
Several years ago, we had a tornado warning shortly before graduation. The math department assembled in the basement hallway and debated what they should do- if they didn't leave now, they'd be late to graduation across campus. I could not believe they were actually considering leaving a basement and walking a quarter mile across campus. I am happy to report that my department went back to our offices and said to heck with it.  ::) Personally, if I were the president, I'd a lot rather have faculty skip the 'mandatory' graduation ceremonies than be blown away by a tornado bearing down on campus. And of course, over at the field house, they were evacuating spectators out of the stands, so they didn't need any more bodies to try to pack into the locker rooms for safety. So not only did the math professors risk their lives for nothing, they made a bad situation worse...and graduation was postponed until after the all clear. Whereupon my department walked over to the field house, and were in plenty of time.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1659 on: January 03, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »
We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer.

That's a really old story/puzzle that I've heard multiple times over many years. One of the characters in in the movie, Working Girl (1988) tells that story almost verbatim.
I was driving a minibus full of psychiatric patients out to look at Christmas lights, and no one told me that the AC unit was mounted to the roof of the bus. I went under one of those swinging warning signs, it went kawumph! and I hit the brakes in time to get the bus stuck against a support beam in a parking garage. (we were going to park and go out walking to see the lights in a retail area). Fortunately one of the patients knew this riddle, and shouted, 'Everyone to the back of the bus!' which weighed down the rear axle enough that I could back out. So it may be an old story (this was prior to 1988), but it's the correct solution often enough. :)

Jocelyn

« Reply #1660 on: January 03, 2014, 12:43:01 PM »
We had a truck get stuck under an overpass somewhat nearby.  They brought out the fire department and police and eventually had highway engineers out there trying to figure out how to get the truck out without causing more damage.  The road was closed for HOURS and drew quite a crowd.

It was a 14 year old boy who solved the problem when he suggested they let some air out of the tires on the trailer.

That's a really old story/puzzle that I've heard multiple times over many years. One of the characters in in the movie, Working Girl (1988) tells that story almost verbatim.

And it used to be told about the local mental institution.  One of the patients was the problem-solver.

I have always thought there might be a grain of truth to that one as there is a low-clearance underpass just outside that institution.
I can testify it happened to me, in about 1984. Mental illness and stupidity are two unrelated conditions. :)

Jocelyn

« Reply #1661 on: January 03, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »
If you wanted to take your 8 year old daughter to the movies, which movie out of these would you choose?

A) Saving Mr. Banks
B) The new Hobbit movie

Not to mention, a record 500+ F bombs, in 180 minutes.
That fact alone made me decide not to go see it. I don't want to hear a F bomb every 25 seconds for 3 hours.

Shalamar

« Reply #1662 on: January 03, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
My daughter went to a nightclub for a NYE party, and she swears that she saw a couple there with a baby in a stroller.   :o

violinp

« Reply #1663 on: January 03, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »

A) Saving Mr. Banks
B) The new Hobbit movie

Not to mention, a record 500+ F bombs, in 180 minutes.
That fact alone made me decide not to go see it. I don't want to hear a F bomb every 25 seconds for 3 hours.

Yikes; I hadn't heard that. That just confirms my wish to never see it.

oogyda

« Reply #1664 on: January 03, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »
We've had the engineers called to assess whether or not the bridge/overpass is still safe but not to figure out how to get the truck out.

They are often called out in situations such as this to lend their expertise in an effort to minimize further damage to the structure of the overpass. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.